Tattoo - Regret it or love it?

by mythreesons 24 Replies latest jw friends

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Most adolescents get a Tattoo to symbolize their independence from their parents, a jester of rebelliousness if you like

and to transcend a particular message of coolness among their peers.

The fact is are skin is a ever changing part of are bodies that when we age those Tattoos that were made when the people were

young have now taken on a different appearance in dimension and have faded.

If your thinking about getting a Tattoo take a look at a man or woman that has them in their 60s or 70s, you just might change your mind.

The argument comes up that says well they can be removed by lazzer.

What they don't tell you is that this process leaves a scar which you'll most likely will have for the rest of your life.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I have a name on my neck (low so a shirt even a collarless covers it) and I have a 6 second QRS strip on my right forearm that is 'in process' (those who need to know what that is already know! lol)

I don't see many guys who regret their ink unless it's racist, stupid or can't be covered.

I would love to get some more done!

• White Dove
    White Dove

Flowers, animals and nature scenes are timeless.

Personal opinion: saggy skin from old age can't be made to look worse by a tattoo.

By the time you get old enough for saggy skin, you'll already be covering more of your body than you do when you are young.

Get touch ups done to keep it looking fresh.

Always wear sunblock on the tattoo to preserve it from fading.

The older ones' tattoos were done a long time ago when the process and inks weren't so good.

If I wear sandals, I put moisturizer on my tattoos to make them sharp and bright.

Oh, and one other thing: NEVER PUT YOUR GIRLFRIEND'S OR BOYFRIEND'S NAME ON YOUR BODY PERMANENTLY! This is the number one tattoo regret.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

And a tattoo thats been on a person for 40, 50 years or more just needs a touch up to make it look good again .....really

I wouldn't take a word from a TAT artist, they are going to say anything bias toward their business. ( just like a religion ..wink wink )

Sure the ink they use today might have a bit more longer lasting brilliance but the reality is they will fade

depending on how much sun exposure the Tats are getting and a few other variables toward the person's skin type.

As I mentioned before people will not have the same body size that they will have when they get older, stretching the Tat

out of proportion from the original design work.

• White Dove
    White Dove

The True One,

Who said that? I don't remember reading any posts with that in them.

Imagine the quality of ink used back then and possible infections from unclean instruments, and no touch ups in 50 years. No, I imagine a cover up tattoo would be necessary then.

Touch ups with modern ink and styrile equipment may be necessary every ~10 years or so.

I read that on the Internet FAQs about tattoos.

Makes sense to me.

• Scully
    Scully

I got mine a few years ago. Still love it and the meaning it holds for me.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I sometimes wish I hadn't gotten the half dollar sized lily on my shoulder, but not enough to have it removed. Recently married a man who theoretically does not like tattoos and I would have had it removed it he wanted me to, but he actually thinks it is kind of cute and wonders why I was worried about it, so, I'm not.

• satinka
    satinka

Brotherdan: I loved the tattoo commerical!...especially the part about the trip to Jamaica!

mythreesons: I have a tattoo on my ankle. It's posted here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/members/private/179386/35/Post-a-Picture-Thread-Nice-to-Meet-You

I love it.

satinka

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

Sooner7nc & Satinka: Thanks for sharing. Glad you like 'em.

I had never thought about the sun fading a tattoo and then having to go in an get it brightened up after it fades...but that does make sense.

As far as older people and their tattoos not looking so good, well that may be true...but they have a story to tell about it. I agree with no names of girlfriends and boyfriends. I'd even throw in names of spouses. (Mind you...I LOVE my wife!! It's just not my "thing". Haha) She'll give me hell if she reads that. Something that represents family though would be timeless.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Love it.

first at 45 on my left upper arm, an artwork design by my wife, of her as a gothic doll, in front of a stitched back together heart. Symbolizes a lot and even if we ever parted i would still love what it represents.

Other is left arm wrist to near elbow of naked zombie girls inside a flame layout. My design. more to come one of these days toward a full sleeve.

I could never walk into a shop and pick some crap flash art of the wall or from some catalogue. It would be largely meaningless.

Wife has her upper left arm with a cartoon of me surrounded by mermaids of my design. It pokes out from under her shirt sleave at work, has not been the subject of any hassles. One day she will get a full sleeve.

when we are old and wrinkly so what? Who says un-inked aged spotted wrinkly dry skin is more attractive than tattooed flesh?

people will eventually regret boring flash art roses and dolphins chosen 'just because' they wanted one.

If you want to put one where people cant see, it then you shouldn't get one.

Tattoos must be chosen as carefully as the artist who applies it. Not all artwork should make it onto skin and not all tattooists are artists...

my thoughts anyway!

oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit