Of serious concern

by sabastious 33 Replies latest jw friends

• DanaBug
    DanaBug
    Why isn't there a DMV provision for someone to take a controlled driving test several times under different levels of intoxication. Then you could quantify each person's tolerance level at that point in their life. If someone chose to take this test they could get a tag on their licence that gave their "Adjusted Blood Alcohol Limit."

Because tolerance doesn't stay the same. Really. My fiance's best friend is a massive alcoholic. He finishes at least an 18 pack in an evening and is still highly functioning. And then out of the blue, he can be falling down drunk after 8 beers. I'm not kidding. I know you don't mean that much alcohol, but if tolerance doesn't stay the same, it's better to be safe and disallow driving by anyone with an alcohol level above a certain point.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Because tolerance doesn't stay the same. Really. My fiance's best friend is a massive alcoholic. He finishes at least an 18 pack in an evening and is still highly functioning. And then out of the blue, he can be falling down drunk after 8 beers. I'm not kidding. I know you don't mean that much alcohol, but if tolerance doesn't stay the same, it's better to be safe and disallow driving by anyone with an alcohol level above a certain point.

That's a good point, DanaBug, if tolerance is erratic week to week (or day to day or month to month etc) then the driving test results would be rendered useless. To counter, we'd have to figure out how drastic the tolerance shifts are.

-Sab

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

you're a hoot, Sab. It's like you've become fixated on this.one.fucking.thing.

Get some perspective dude.

• tec
    tec

Or just make it zero tolerance. Why spend huge amounts of money trying to figure out everyone's tolerance levels, and at varying times. Zero tolerance takes care of all of that.

If you're going to have a drink; even just one, don't drive. Period. We're not just talking about thirty year olds who know they can handle a drink or two... eighteen year olds have the exact same driving laws as the more mature, so the laws need to keep the weakest link in mind, and not be pandered to the strongest link.

Of course, that would hurt businesses and piss people off, but if you're weighing that against lives lost...

*shrugs*

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit