Of serious concern

by sabastious 33 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious

Sometimes I am proud that I was able to break the bonds that held me in the Watchtower Bubble for so long. Lately though, I've been wondering if I have merely traded the borders the Watchtower circled around me with some other nonsensical set of rules.

My home, Redding CA, is a center piece of a four way intersection of highways and freeways. Many of them go through the mountains and forests and can be extremely dangerous. I can't seem to turn on the radio news in my car without hearing about some gory traffic accident, especially come winter time.

Yesterday I was listening to the radio and heard that some 21 year old kid was driving a van 60 miles an hour, in the snow, without chains (in conditions that required them) with kids in the back without seat belts. When the 21 year old lost control of the car a three year old child was hurled from the car and found dead in the snow. The 21 year old lived... I feel like finding where he's being held.

The radio anchor switched to some audio of a CHP officer who was involved in the scene, his voice had a dejected tone about it, "It's unfortunate that every winter it's common for people to just choose to drive too fast, even in bad conditions"

I felt so helpless. People just drive too fast? Even if they have others with them? Even if your drunk your brain still has the capacity to realize the gravity of the situation! The lives at stake! Even so, the driver wasn't drunk. He was a perfectly sober 21 year old that, for some reason, decided to drive 60 miles an hour in the show without chains.... I don't understand.

These types are killing too many people. The number of deaths in the past 10 years due to reckless driving? This is mass killings people!

-Sab

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I'm uncertain what any of this has to do with Watchtower.

However, if you're contemplating your own mortality and the nature of REALITY, then yes, there are countless unfortunate things going on. It's our obligation to do the very best job we can to protect ourselves and our families from harm, and attempt to be a force for what is good and fair to those around us. Our time and energy, however, is limited.

• jay88
    jay88

Sab- Lately though, I've been wondering if I have merely traded the borders the Watchtower circled around me with some other nonsensical set of rules.

>>>>>>>>>

I'm a dumb-ass and I know it, but was this statement suppose to transition to your story?

• sabastious
    sabastious

It's just frustrating to see one weak link be resposible for such a senseless death.

LWT, this topic has everything to do about the Watcthower. These kinds of events end up being sales pitches for the ineptitude of mankind. Every time man fails miserably the Witnesses are there to illuminate the mistake.

My train of thought centers around government. How do we stop these deaths from happening? It's not much to analyze the specific account relayed on the radio news show because it's just one incident.

Before, as a Witness, I had no say in the policies of men... now I could become President of the United States of I was so inclined.

This is not so much about the Watchtower as it is the Watchtower's governmental procedures in comparrison to current human government.

-Sab

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality"

• sabastious
    sabastious
    "We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality"

The driver definitely was evading reality, and the consequences was the end of a life that still had many decades of life ahead.

-Sab

• highdose
    highdose

Honey, if you want a bit of perspective, come and see how the cypriots drive!

1) the right hand is used for holding the phone the left for holding coffee,feeling up the girlfreind or having a fag.

2) the motorcycle helmet is carried but never ever wore, just carried in one hand while steering the bike with the other.

3) drink driving is the norm

4) doing an emergency break in the middle of the main road to chat to your freinds on the pavement is expected.

5) if you want your car to pass its MOT all you have to do is slip the guy say 50-100 euros

6) parking lines are there to look pretty but be ignored, ditto double yellow lines and one way signs.

7) if a cop gives you a ticket you yell and srceam at him for at least an hour, and if that dosn't work you slip him a 20-50 euro note.

8) keeping to the speed limit is socaily unacceptable... i mean completly unacceptable! How dare you be going at 50mph in a 50 mph zone!!!!!

• sabastious
    sabastious

highdose, based on your data it doesn't sound like humans, as a species, are responsible enough to even have vehicles at all.

-Sab

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

My train of thought centers around government. How do we stop these deaths from happening? It's not much to analyze the specific account relayed on the radio news show because it's just one incident.

I don't really believe there's a way to stop this incidents. No matter how many laws are enacted, or principles enforced, there will always be anomalies. In this case you mentioned principles and laws. The driver was driving too fast, possibly speeding as you didn't mention what the limit is. The driving conditions were hazardous due to the snow, and the driver neglected to use chains. He probably broke the law and definately went against principles by not having his kids buckled up. All of those principles he neglected and laws broken all flew out the wind considering the chaos factor. You can put Stop Signs up, Yield Signs, red lights, green lights, but somewhere, somehow, there will be accidents, and people will get hurt and die. Thats life. I think in this case, the driver's youth and the inexperience and immaturity that comes with it weighed heavier on the scales than principles and laws.

I also think you're speaking from the perspective of a young father which causes you to view the driver a little more harshley than myself. True, a life was cut short by decades, but imagine whats going on in that 21 year old's head and heart. He'll have to live with this for the rest of his life.

• jay88
    jay88

The illusion of immortality especially among younger folk or those who are promised life forever.

How dangerous is the seed of the infinite(where you have to sacrifice you life now)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit