Need reference for withholding the truth from "those who don't deserve it"

by Pistoff 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Hey all, I know that the references for 'theocratic warfare' are ancient and not considered useful.

I would like a reference to the WT saying that one does not have to give truth to those who are not worthy or something similar.

HELP!

This information is for a court case

• wannabefree
  • brotherdan
    brotherdan

11/15/2004 WT:

The faithful witness does not commit perjury when testifying. His testimony is not tainted with lies. However, this does not mean that he is under obligation to give full information to those who may want to bring harm to Jehovah’s people in some way. The patriarchs Abraham and Isaac withheld facts from some who did not worship Jehovah. (Genesis 12:10-19; 20:1-18; 26:1-10) Rahab of Jericho misdirected the king’s men. (Joshua 2:1-7) Jesus Christ himself refrained from divulging total information when doing so would have caused needless harm. (John 7:1-10) He said: “Do not give what is holy to dogs, neither throw your pearls before swine.” Why not? So that “they may never . . . turn around and rip you open.”—Matthew 7:6.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

*** w07 2/1 p. 6 Why Be Truthful? ***
    What Is a Lie?
    Every lie is an untruth, but not every untruth is a lie. Why not? A dictionary defines a lie as "an assertion of something known or believed by the speaker to be untrue with intent to deceive." Yes, lying includes the intention to deceive someone. Hence, to speak an untruth unwittingly-such as giving someone incorrect facts or figures by mistake-is not the same as to tell a lie.

Moreover, we need to consider whether the person asking for information is entitled to a comprehensive answer. For instance, suppose Manfred had been asked the same questions by an executive of another company. Would Manfred have been obliged to tell him everything? Not really. Since that executive had no right to such information, Manfred would have had no obligation to provide it. Of course, even in this case, it would have been wrong for him to tell a lie.

What example did Jesus Christ set in this regard? On one occasion, Jesus was conversing with some unbelievers who showed interest in his travel plans. "Pass on over from here and go into Judea," they advised him. What was Jesus' reply? "You go up to the festival [in Jerusalem]; I am not yet going up to this festival, because my due time has not yet fully come." Shortly thereafter, Jesus did travel to Jerusalem for the festival. Why did he answer that way? They were not entitled to know the exact details of his whereabouts. So while Jesus did not utter an untruth, he gave them an incomplete answer in order to limit the possible harm they could do to him or to his followers. This was not a lie, for the apostle Peter wrote about Christ: "He committed no sin, nor was deception found in his mouth."-John 7:1-13; 1 Peter 2:22.

• blondie
    blondie

*** dx86-09 Lies ***

Bible view:whether not giving truth to those not entitled is lying: w09 6/15 17; w07 2/1 6; w04 11/15 28; w04 12/1 9; g00 2/8 21; it-2 245

*** w09 6/15 p. 17 pars. 6-7 Speak Truth With Your Neighbor ***Does being truthful with others mean that we must disclose every detail to whoever asks us a question? Not necessarily. While on earth, Jesus demonstrated that some people are undeserving of a direct answer or of certain information. When hypocritical religious leaders asked him by what power or authority he performed signs and miracles, Jesus said: “I will ask you one question. You answer me, and I will also tell you by what authority I do these things.” When the scribes and older men were unwilling to give an answer, Jesus said: “Neither am I telling you by what authority I do these things.” (Mark 11:27-33) He did not feel obligated to answer the question in view of their corrupt practices and faithless example. (Matt. 12:10-13; 23:27, 28) Similarly today, Jehovah’s people need to be on guard against apostates and other wicked men who use trickery or cunning for selfish purposes.—Matt. 10:16; Eph. 4:14.

Paul likewise indicated that some people may not be entitled to receive a full or complete answer. He said that “gossipers and meddlers in other people’s affairs” are “talking of things they ought not.” (1 Tim. 5:13)

*** w07 2/1 p. 6 Why Be Truthful? ***What Is a Lie?

Every lie is an untruth, but not every untruth is a lie. Why not? A dictionary defines a lie as “an assertion of something known or believed by the speaker to be untrue with intent to deceive.” Yes, lying includes the intention to deceive someone. Hence, to speak an untruth unwittingly—such as giving someone incorrect facts or figures by mistake—is not the same as to tell a lie.

Moreover, we need to consider whether the person asking for information is entitled to a comprehensive answer. For instance, suppose Manfred had been asked the same questions by an executive of another company. Would Manfred have been obliged to tell him everything? Not really. Since that executive had no right to such information, Manfred would have had no obligation to provide it. Of course, even in this case, it would have been wrong for him to tell a lie.

What example did Jesus Christ set in this regard? On one occasion, Jesus was conversing with some unbelievers who showed interest in his travel plans. “Pass on over from here and go into Judea,” they advised him. What was Jesus’ reply? “You go up to the festival [in Jerusalem]; I am not yet going up to this festival, because my due time has not yet fully come.” Shortly thereafter, Jesus did travel to Jerusalem for the festival. Why did he answer that way? They were not entitled to know the exact details of his whereabouts. So while Jesus did not utter an untruth, he gave them an incomplete answer in order to limit the possible harm they could do to him or to his followers. This was not a lie, for the apostle Peter wrote about Christ: “He committed no sin, nor was deception found in his mouth.”—John 7:1-13; 1 Peter 2:22.

*** w04 11/15 p. 28 “The Tent of the Upright Ones Will Flourish” ***The faithful witness does not commit perjury when testifying. His testimony is not tainted with lies. However, this does not mean that he is under obligation to give full information to those who may want to bring harm to Jehovah’s people in some way. The patriarchs Abraham and Isaac withheld facts from some who did not worship Jehovah. (Genesis 12:10-19; 20:1-18; 26:1-10) Rahab of Jericho misdirected the king’s men. (Joshua 2:1-7) Jesus Christ himself refrained from divulging total information when doing so would have caused needless harm. (John 7:1-10) He said: “Do not give what is holy to dogs, neither throw your pearls before swine.” Why not? So that “they may never . . . turn around and rip you open.”—Matthew 7:6.

*** g00 2/8 p. 21 Lying—Is It Ever Justified? ***“Cautious as Serpents”

Of course, being truthful does not mean that we are obligated to divulge all information to anyone who asks it of us. “Do not give what is holy to dogs, neither throw your pearls before swine, that they may never . . . turn around and rip you open,” warned Jesus, at Matthew 7:6. For example, individuals with wicked intent may have no right to know certain things. Christians understand that they are living in a hostile world. Thus, Jesus advised his disciples to be “cautious as serpents” while remaining “innocent as doves.” (Matthew 10:16; John 15:19) Jesus did not always disclose the full truth, especially when revealing all the facts could have brought unnecessary harm to himself or his disciples. Still, even at such times, he did not lie. Instead, he chose either to say nothing or to divert the conversation in another direction.—Matthew 15:1-6; 21:23-27; John 7:3-10.

Faithful men and women mentioned in the Bible, such as Abraham, Isaac, Rahab, and David, were likewise shrewd and cautious when dealing with potential enemies. (Genesis 20:11-13; 26:9; Joshua 2:1-6; 1 Samuel 21:10-14) The Bible classifies such men and women as faithful worshipers whose lives were characterized by obedience. That makes them worthy of imitation.—Romans 15:4; Hebrews 11:8-10, 20, 31, 32-39.

*** it-2 p. 245 Lie ***While malicious lying is definitely condemned in the Bible, this does not mean that a person is under obligation to divulge truthful information to people who are not entitled to it. Jesus Christ counseled: “Do not give what is holy to dogs, neither throw your pearls before swine, that they may never trample them under their feet and turn around and rip you open.” (Mt 7:6) That is why Jesus on certain occasions refrained from giving full information or direct answers to certain questions when doing so could have brought unnecessary harm. (Mt 15:1-6; 21:23-27; Joh 7:3-10) Evidently the course of Abraham, Isaac, Rahab, and Elisha in misdirecting or in withholding full facts from nonworshipers of Jehovah must be viewed in the same light.—Ge 12:10-19; chap 20; 26:1-10; Jos 2:1-6; Jas 2:25; 2Ki 6:11-23.

*** it-2 p. 244 Lie ***LIE

The opposite of truth. Lying generally involves saying something false to a person who is entitled to know the truth and doing so with the intent to deceive or to injure him or another person.

*** w93 12/15 p. 25 Rahab—Declared Righteous by Works of Faith ***While malicious lying is wrong in Jehovah’s eyes, a person is not obligated to divulge truthful information to people who are not entitled to it. Even Jesus Christ did not give full details or direct answers when doing so could have brought unnecessary harm. (Matthew 7:6; 15:1-6; 21:23-27; John 7:3-10) Evidently, Rahab’s course of misdirecting the enemy officers must be viewed in that light.

*** w92 12/15 p. 22 Why Is It So Easy to Lie? ***A lie is defined as “1. a false statement or action, especially one made with intent to deceive . . . 2. anything that gives or is meant to give a false impression.” The intention is to cause others to believe something that the liar knows is not the truth. By lies or half-truths, he strives to deceive those who are entitled to know the truth.

*** w60 6/1 p. 351 Questions From Readers ***

From time to time letters are received asking whether a certain circumstance would justify making an exception to the Christian’s obligation to tell the truth. In reply to these the following is given:God’s Word commands: “Speak truth each of you with his neighbor.” (Eph. 4:25) This command, however, does not mean that we should tell everyone who asks us all he wants to know. We must tell the truth to one who is entitled to know, but if one is not so entitled we may be evasive. But we may not tell a falsehood.

*** w57 5/1 p. 285 Use Theocratic War Strategy ***Lies are untruths told for selfish reasons and which work injury to others. Satan told a lie to Eve that worked great harm to her and all the human race. Ananias and Sapphira told lies for selfish reasons. But hiding the truth, which he is not entitled to know, from an enemy does not harm him, especially when he would use such information to harm others who are innocent.

*** w54 10/1 p. 585 par. 1 Lies Lead to Loss of Life ***A LIE is a false statement made by one to another who is entitled to hear and know the truth and which false statement tends toward injury to the other. A false statement made for the purpose of deceiving and working injury to an innocent person is a deliberate and malicious lie.

*** g00 10/8 p. 30 From Our Readers ***

Lying I found the article “The Bible’s Viewpoint: Lying—Is It Ever Justified?” (February 8, 2000) to be thought provoking. But by any reasonable definition, does not the Bible condemn all deception?

D. S., United States

In the Bible, lying generally involves saying something false to a person who is entitled to know the truth and doing so with the intent to deceive or to injure him or another person. God-fearing individuals such as Abraham, Isaac, Rahab, and David thus engaged in forms of deception but were not condemned as liars. Of course, they did so under extraordinary circumstances. Their actions therefore do not justify needless deception. For example, if a Christian has sworn to tell the truth in a court of law, he will either tell the truth or remain silent.—ED.

• Scully
    Scully

Insight on the Scriptures, under the definition of LIE something to the effect of: while malicious lying is discouraged, a servant of god is not obligated to disclose truthful information to those not entitled to it. It is in the context of protecting the higher interests of The Truth™ or the WTS.

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

What does it say about a religion the would even print something about the nuances of lying. Each of us decides what is a lie and what is not. When a religion has an article about the differneces in lying and holding back all the truth that throws up a red flag for me. I would be asking "why are they even discussing this? What are they lying about and what are they withholding from me?"

• dgp
    dgp

How sad. The "Speak Truth with Your Neighbor" was the talk they had the first time I set foot on a Kingdom Hall. In a way, that was a good thing for me to happen. I didn't buy the idea that someone wasn't "entitled" to know the truth.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

THANK YOU THANK YOU ALL.

This is so helpful; it is actually more blatant than I expected.

P

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    What does it say about a religion the would even print something about the nuances of lying.

Exactly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit