Is that podium thing unique to JW's? Do they build them?

by InterestedOne 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Here in the UK almost all the halls have identical 3 legged rostrums / podiums. (They are very much better looking than that hideous thing in the picture though...) Reason being is they are all made by the same business run (you guessed it) by brothers who obviously have the contract (or just know some high placed witlesses) to supply them.

If a lot of your US podiums are all similar then I'd guess it's the same deal. They will be being made and supplied by a US business run by witlesses.

The same goes for the sound systems in the UK, all are made and supplied by a firm run by witlesses. All are EXTREMELY over priced as well. Two more things I dont like, witlesses making money out of their religion and a monopoly position on the contract.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Witness My Fury - Thank you. This helps me with a question I had asked a while back which was how to respond when my JW friend says, "What would their motivation be? They're a non-profit. No-one profits. etc." My response was simply that I would think there are ways for people to make money from a non-profit. I'm sure the podium & sound system thing is a tiny piece, but I'd be curious to know the names of the various businesses. Who is the witness-run podium company in the UK & in the US? Who is the witness-run sound company?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Who is the witness-run podium company in the UK & in the US? Who is the witness-run sound company?

And the carpet company.

And the chair company.

And the janitorial supply company.

• teel
    teel

We have similar lecterns here in Romania too. They must be custom built, because I also have never noticed a similar design outside a KH.

I think they assigned someone to adjusting just to have one more "privilege" they can hand out - and it's even a privilege that everyone will notice, so the "brother" will feel important. Never mind it's silly busywork... it's funny remembering back how the responsible "brother" always stepped out to adjust the lectern, even if it would have been fine just the way it was - he had to touch it at least

• Never_Enough
    Never_Enough

In southern Ontario, most platform furniture (lecterns/"podiums", sisters' table, etc) were originally made at the Canada Branch - now they're made by a millwork company owned by -you guessed it- a brother. All have the same design (flaws).

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Wow! Adjusting a lecturn was a privilege! I never knew that.

One more opportunity to denigrate us non penis possessors of the species.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I cant remember the name of the sound supplier, but if you want the name of the sound company and you are in the UK I think it may be on the front of the amp... if not the back of it. It's a company in the midlands if i remember right. I dont go much and dont opperate the sound any more (shock, they dont let you do anything if you are inactive like me!) and have no interest in conversing with anyone on the sound department either so I wont be looking lol...

All i know is when i was sound servant 15 or so years back and we needed to replace our dying system we were given no option but to spend £2500 on something I could have easily specced and supplied for £800 max. Reason being is it was from the Bethel approved supplier. What a load of tat it turned out to be too. Oh and when we had a NEW hall.... you guessed it... we had to have NEW sound system to go in it, even though ours was less than 3 years old. Our elders in their wisdom decided to GIVE our old system back to the firm for them to reuse (read resell at great profit). But as always if you say anything other than the party line you get flack.

I'm reasonably sure its much the same story with all the materials on the quick builds tbh. I know the heating / air handling is a witness run business and the thing is shit and expensive to buy and run. Whch seems to be the common policy for all witless run businesses supplying witlesses.

• VM44
  • VM44
    VM44

Audio Acoustics, Inc. based in Springfield, Missouri is listed a supplier of professional-grade sound equipment in one BOE letter.

https://www.aaius.com/

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

How can they pioneer? And I am sure there is a kickback.

The podium misnomer always bothered me, but I pride myself on at least trying to know my language. I will say speakers stand. If you want to raise hackles call it a pulpit. The podium is properly a soapbox or stump.🤨 they dont know a rostrum when they see one

The adjusting wheel is for brother tall to follow brother midget, it is where he can run it. Dont forget the misadjustment of mikes. Exploding p's or echoes. When i used to read they would put the damn thing right in the middle of my sight line to the text; on talks right at the cross eyed spot for audience contact.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit