Just Received This Email From "Knocking" Director

by DarioKehl 13 Replies latest jw friends

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 15.0px; font: 13.0px Tahoma; color: #292929} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 17.0px; font: 13.0px Tahoma; color: #1440fc} p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 17.0px; font: 13.0px Tahoma; color: #292929; min-height: 16.0px} p.p4 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 15.0px; font: 13.0px Tahoma; color: #292929; min-height: 16.0px} span.s1 {text-decoration: underline}

KNOCKING Update

February 2011

www.knocking.org

PBS SUBJECT SETH THOMAS DIES AT 30

Seth Thomas, who received a transfusion-free liver transplant to meet his Jehovah's Witness religious beliefs in the 2007 PBS documentary "Knocking," has died. He was 30.

A recurrence of disease in the past year damaged Seth's new liver. Despite a series of hospitalizations, doctors were unable to stop the progression of liver failure. Another liver transplant was not possible. Seth leaves his wife Nina and their 8-month-old son Seth Jr.

Seth's parents Ralph and Audrey and sister Jennifer, all featured in "Knocking," also survive him. In the documentary, father and son were simultaneously operated on in a live-donor transplant as Ralph donated half of his own liver. Seth's wife Nina appeared in "Knocking" as his girlfriend. They were married in 2006, several months before the national PBS broadcast.

Seth's sister is Jehovah's Witness minister in Bulgaria with her husband Mike. They returned to Dallas a week before Seth's death February 14.

I'm sure there are other posts about this documentary. How many of you have seen it? What are your thoughts on the project?

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

arrg!!!! Why is all this code appearing in my posts??? Sorry for the eye sores, everyone.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I'm not a big fan of "Knocking for several reasons. First, the creator is homosexual yet chose to suck up to the extremely homophobic Watchtower, most likely to gain favor with his most probable homphobic jw mommy. Second, he did nothing to argue the Wathtower's invalid stance on blood transfusions. Third, he bragged about the Watchtower's early court victories but failed to mention that the publishing company is frequently tied up in sex abuse lawsuits.

IMO, EPIC FAIL.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I googled PBS KNocking to find the website. A casual glance showed me that this is not a neutral show. It seems to emphasize the Witnesses' stronger points while not revealing many scandals. Originally, I wanted to view it. Clicking on different sections, it looks like a waste of time.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Yeah, I remember watching it some too. My wife would've loved it.

• carla
    carla

There probably are not many fans of the show here furthermore there was a discussion board set up about the show by PBS and for awhile they were deleting all negative comments until they were inundated with complaints, finally real discussion was allowed and if memory serves they eventually shut the board down. Many here posted on that board and great thoughtful comments that never saw the light of day on that board. Many here also said they would not donate to PBS because of it or the fact that PBS refused to show the other side.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

A clear indication that "Knocking" is not an unbiased look at JWs is the fact that most JWs who have seen it, LOVE IT.

That means it doesn't cause any cognitive dissonance in them at all. They're perfectly comfortable watching it.

• t33ap80c
    t33ap80c

The producer of "Knocking" (and his JW mother) made the same mistake that we and all the rest of Jehovah's Witnesses made. And that is, he failed to carefully examine the Society's claim that in the spring of 1919 Rutherford and his associates received the awesome Matthew 24:47 appointment 'over all Jesus' interests here on earth' because they were the only religion that had been providing "the right spiritual food at the proper time" down till 1919.

It seems possible to me that if he and his mother had not made this mistake they may have concluded the same that Ray Franz concluded once he stopped making it in 1979. That's when he realized, "It would be an insult to Christ Jesus to say that he selected this organization on the basis of what they had been teaching as of 1919."

Don Cameron

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Oh, the irony. His sister serves in Bulgaria?

~Sue

From AJWRB: Watchtower Leaders Caught in Deception

In 1997 AJWRB began reporting that Watchtower leaders had filed a false and misleading application with the European Commission on Human Rights .The case involving the Watchtower and the government of Bulgaria was settled in 1998 and as difficult as it is to believe, the Watchtower Society has agreed, in a legally binding document, to allow Jehovah's Witnesses a free choice regarding blood transfusions. You may view all of the actual documents in the Bulgarian Files or go directly to a translation of the document (a portion of the report is in French)

We initially found the following information regarding the settlement between Jehovah's Witnesses and the government of Bulgaria on the website for the European Commission on Human Rights in a press release which stated:

"The applicant undertook with regard to its stance on blood transfusions to draft a statement for inclusion in its statute providing that members should have free choice in the matter for themselves and their children, without any control or sanction on the part of the association." (Emphasis ours)

• Gayle
    Gayle

Seth was lucky, unlike many, many JWs previously, who were denied by the GB to do a necessary organ transplant during at least a 15-year ban of any organ transplants by the Watchtower. No apology by the GB for the JWs that died or suffered long term after they made that change. Seth got an extension of life at least. Perhaps Seth could have gotten another extension, if he was willing to go through another transplant procedure, if he would have been willing to accept a possible need of a blood transfusion if necessary.

However, now many JWs do not get a possible extension of life due to the existent ban by the WTS on blood transfusions. The GB have no heart or empathy for JWs through these real needs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit