Can you say plagiarism?

by Mebaqqer2 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That's very interesting, I am impressed. How on earth did you find it? The mind boggles.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Ah right a google search brings it up. With more and more old books being digitized and search methods getting better all the time I guess it will get much easier to locate the unspecified sources for many of the claims in the Watchtower over the years. The Watchtower writer in 1984 perhaps imagined the obscurity of his source would always make it difficult to track, but now it is possible to peer behind the Watchtower curtain and see exactly what the old wizard was working with. Not much as it turns out.

• carla
    carla

Has anyone run some of their articles through Copyscape or other resource like that? I wonder how many instances of plagiarism one would find?

• St George of England
    St George of England

Yes, but not at KH, no-one would know what you are talking about!

George

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Back in the early 1990s something I'd written for another publication was reproduced in the Awake! (I cringe now when I read it). I was then invited to write an article specifically for Awake!. Hoarder that I am (I prefer to call it archiving) I still have the letter. I wrote back suggesting a topic, they wrote back with a letter laying out their demands for fact-checking: I had to detail every source for the story as well as a secondary source they could check. The letter included all sorts of tedious detail about the form in which the article had to be submitted. I took one look at the letter and thought, 'Up yours, that's too much trouble.'

If they were so fussy about the topic I suggested, it makes you wonder how they can be so sloppy about other articles. This one is an excellent example, but how about their mea culpa on the Ghandi quote I read so many times in WT literature I could practically recite it word for word.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

If they were so fussy about the topic I suggested, it makes you wonder how they can be so sloppy about other articles.

I have heard they have the same stringent requirement for all articles. The surprising thing is that there are so many requirements, yet what they print does not end up incorporting them, such as the source of information, or quoting in context.

• muzzy
    muzzy

@MrMonroe:

I'm not familiar with the Gandhi quote -- for those of us who haven't heard, can you fill us in?

• MrMonroe
  • Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

Awesome find!! Thanks. Me likey very muchy!

Marked for future.

CoC

• DocBob
    DocBob

Check out http://www.docbob.org/wordpress/?p=488 for some examples of the WT very closely copying artwork from a Seventh Day Adventist Bible Story book.

Also see http://www.bibletopics.com/biblestudy/86.htm for an example where the WT used an image from a Johnny Walker scotch ad on a magazine cover and later

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit