Slavery -An Atheist Reads the Bible.

by whereami 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

While Paul never made a stand against the instiution of slavery, he did say this:

bullet1 Corinthians 12:13: "For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit."
    bulletGalatians 3:28:"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus."
    bulletColossians 3:11: "Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all."
  • ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

One more reason why I have very little, if any, respect for any body that ''worships'' the God of the Old Testament.

That includes all religious Christians, all religious Muslims and all religious Jews.

I personally think the world would be a better place without any religion and by default any religious people.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Let's not forget this:

Ephesians 6:9 Masters, it's the same with you. No abuse, please, and no threats. You and your servants are both under the same Master in heaven. He makes no distinction between you and them. The Message Bible

Colossians 4:1 And masters, treat your servants considerately. Be fair with them. Don't forget for a minute that you, too, serve a Master—God in heaven. The Message Bible

Syl

• Perry
    Perry

Good points.

This slavery issue gets brought up every now and needs to be put in perspective as the previous links do. Atheist propaganda cartoon videos really do work for some folks. They are on the same level of accuracy and objectivity as the Watchtower.

Atheists, as the center of their world imagine that others are like them, separated from God and only imagine him. The fact that believers regularly interact with God as his friend and child is beyond the scope of the atheists' ability to think, since that thinking doesn't go further than themselves.

The fact that Christians regularly and dynamically interact with God is imbedded in Christian songs and culture as this old Christian song illustrates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW0WA8OSXZg&feature=fvwrel

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    One more reason why I have very little, if any, respect for any body that ''worships'' the God of the Old Testament.
    That includes all religious Christians, all religious Muslims and all religious Jews.
    I personally think the world would be a better place without any religion and by default any religious people.

And yet, as a believer in Christ, I respect your view and understand it and extend my love to you.

You may be right that the world maybe a better place without any religion and religious people but let us not forget that Maother Teresa was religious, as was Ghandi and MLK Jr and so many others that loved with al the heart, they loved the wicked and the hateful and the spitful and even the intolerant.

Could they have been that way without religion? I don't know, but they WERE that way because of it, at least they believed it to be so.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Atheists, as the center of their world imagine that others are like them, separated from God and only imagine him. The fact that believers regularly interact with God as his friend and child is beyond the scope of the atheists' ability to think, since that thinking doesn't go further than themselves.

LOL, hey Mister Tolerant, how ya doin'?

Talk about being the center of your world. You are so pompous as to believe that YOU have had the Almighty reveal himself to you. You're so special! Anyone who chooses to work from logic and reason, just hasn't had the privilege of that revelation. How tidy. Self fulfilling belief system.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Perry: You are an object lesson in religious arrogance. The bible is the product of a barbaric time but it purports to be written by those following an unchanging 'higher' being who should transcend the immorality of slavery but doesn't. Your scholarly rebuttals are utterly refutted by billions of tragic lives wasted in slavery - many 'justified' by the sickness of a slavery endorsing god. You sit living a pampered lifestyle pontificating about atheists while ignoring the horror and sheer evil of bondage and have the gall to whinge about being picked on by the atheist videos. Please do yourself a favour - acknowledge the evil that is slavery, dedicate yourself to fighting it wherever you find it (even if it be in a a religion you hold dear) and never seek to justify it in the bible.

Christ failed utterly to ensure that statements he might have made regarding the abolition of slavery got recorded so one can only assume that either he never made any, he didn't care enough about them to ensure - through supernatural means - they got added to the scriptures or the god he represents supports the idea. On all counts it's a Jesus fail.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Perry says - Atheists, as the center of their world imagine that others are like them, separated from God and only imagine him.

Well Perry if you don't imagine him also give us viable physical proof of his existence so that we too can not just place him into human imagination.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Slavery in ancient times was seen culturally as a position and stature of wealth, the more slaves you had, the wealthier and prominent you

were perceived in that particular civilization. There was also given value placed onto slaves based on their age and general health.

What this original video openly explains and reveals is that men in history exploited the bible as a means to create a source of viability

to have slaves, only to exploit these individuals to create wealth toward themselves.

Its interesting though that throughout the bible this degradation and exploitation of people was sanctioned by god's

solemnly chosen people.

Maybe one of the Ten commandments should have been " Never shall one possess or put another into slavery "

The exploitations out and from the bible are ominously varied depending what the agenda is pushing from underneath.

Look what the Watchtower Publishing corporation has done as an provable example .

Many times the hidden agenda is this $

Perry has two slaves so he's wealthy but not the wealthiest among the slave owners.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    Atheist propaganda cartoon videos really do work for some folks.

I think what you mean to say is "Christian apologetics and mystical 'you don't understand because you're not special' bullshit doesn't really work for some folks."

You are in slavery right now. That is how hate and any sin works.... it dominates and eventually transforms a person, transforming them into the thing that they hate.

Personally, I have never felt more free. I came to realize that the human condition is not a result of the eating of magical fruit - but a direct result of the computational nature of the human brain and limit input. No human brain, no matter how 'perfectly tuned' could ever 100% internalize the earth, all people, and the complexities of social interaction. As long as there is limited perspective/unknowns, human brains will make mistakes in their judgement. They will say the wrong thing at the wrong time. They will do the wrong thing. They will hurt eachothers' feelings, etc. Neural networks are great pattern-matchers - I said 'x' before and it made my friend happy, so I will say 'x' again... (yet unknown to us, that person's situation has changed, and 'x' is the worst thing you could say at that moment.) Really though, this is just christian sleight of hand. "Slavery is ok.. because we're all slaves anyway, see?". No. Slavery - owning of other human beings - is wrong. It always was wrong. "God" didn't condem it because "God" was made up by men who wanted to own slaves. That's all there is to it. - Lime

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit