Elders told: Watch for the signs!

by ozziepost 27 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

From the audio of the KMS posted by Kent the other day, it's enlightening to listen to the talk on the inactive. Watch for the tell-tale signs the elders are to look for in the notes that follow:
    ====================================================================
    Congregation Book Study Overseers – Assisting the Inactive

We have a big happy family of over 6 million, and we’re so busy with spending over 1 billion hours in the service, and the organisation is moving ahead so fast that we forget the things we left behind. The organisation itself is advancing.

What’s our attitude to the weak and inactive?

Paul was concerned for the weak (2 Cor 11:28, 1 Cor 9:22)

Do we have the same attitude? They are called inactive and according to the definition in the publication “An inactive person is weak spiritually….” (om 150 [3 paras])

There is no limit to when a person is inactive. There are many.

A real concern is that on average over the past 5 years in the USA 41,807 have become inactive each year. In that time 26,507 on average have been reactivated, leaving 15,300 on average each year who remain inactive. That’s more than were baptised in the the last two years combined.

How can we help the inactive to regain their spiritual balance?

In 1975 the Society instituted a new arrangement whereby 1 year after baptism, 2 elders were to meet with the new one to see how they’re going spiritually.

In July 1995 Soc letter instructed Congregation secretaries to give note to the elders at an elders’ meeting listing areas in which the new ones could improve in their field service.

Jesus is the Fine Shepherd (John 10:11-14) and he has appointed the elders as shepherds in the congregation.

How to detect that a person is becoming weak:
    Early warning signals
    1. Dejected countenance
    2. Quit participation in the meetings
    3. Miss some meetings
    4. Conversation is not on theocratic things
    5. Dress and grooming
    6. Slackening off
    7. Critical of the brothers

Endeavour to use discernment as to what has caused this.
    1. personal circumstances
    2. associations
    3. hidden serious sin
    4. someone in the congregation has stumbled them
    5. they have over-reacted to counsel
    6. materialism

There are 4 things to keep in mind to help the inactive:
    1. Show them how to get joy in the ministry
    2. Show them that their work is meaningful to Jehovah
    3. Provide effective training in various aspects of the ministry.
    4. Be a trusting companion.

With groups being small now this should be easier to accomplish.

Demonstration:
    CBSO and his assistant visit someone who has grown weak. The publisher has become discouraged over the changed Generation teaching. Elders refer to Proverbs 13:12 “Expectation postponed is making the heart sick” Mention that an important feature of what Jehovah requires of us is to be patient. Publisher is reminded that his motivation has diminished. Refer to 1995 article with the words “the fact remains we are deep in the last days” Could the end be that far off? By mentally putting off the kingdom, we can focus on this system. It can cause us to become discouraged, sick. Invite him out in the service. Prepare a simple presentation to be used that weekend.

Every Memorial season a special effort is made to get as many as possible, including the inactive, to the Kingdom Hall. The inactive are still part of the congregation. Refer to Psalm 119:176 “I have wandered like a lost sheep…”

Be upbuilding. Establish a basis for them to return.

Publisher cards should be separated between Active and Inactive. How long should the Inactive cards be kept? The last recorded card should be kept indefinitely and the C/O and elders will know who’s there to make calls on.

Interview:
    Brother who was once inactive and was reactivated. On shepherding call, the travelling overseer said to inactive person: “You are still in good standing”.

Another group is the disfellowshiped ones. Call on those who are no longer practicing sin (Luke 15:4-7)

Four things the CBSO should encourage the inactive person to do:
    1. Develop good study habits
    2. Attend all the meetings
    3. Have a meaningful share in the ministry
    4. Help them overcome issues that caused them to become inactive.

====================================================================

Clearly the WTS is concerned over the large numbers “falling away” and it seems they recognise the significant impact that the change in the generation teaching has had.

Throughout this discussion there was little in the way of a scriptural basis. Some texts were referred to but not discussed. This was especially noticeable in the demonstration. Two elders, supposedly spiritual men, call on a man older in years who has become very discouraged. How are they to help this one? Apparently by appealing to a guilty conscience. I was struck with the pressure tactics being employed, treating such a man in a paternalistic manner.

The premise was all wrong. To equate inactivity with spiritual weakness reveals that these shepherds are being directed not in shepherding but rather in supervising those who are in their care.

If I make the two-part statement that I am spiritually strong and I do not attend the Kingdom Hall, who should link the two?

The facts are that ever so many persons are spiritually strong having a personal relationship with God, yet never attending a Kingdom Hall.

So, how about those signs? How am I to display weakening of my spiritual condition by my dress and grooming? My grooming?! Does this relate to the length of my hair? (what there is left of it!) If a man enters the KH with a shaved head, what does this tell about his relationship with God? Who determines the length of the man's hair? Ah, there we have it - pharisaical dictates!

For those who may be in line for a visit because you are guilty of displaying a 'sign', you may need to consult with others who have passed the test!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Thanks, ozzie, very cool. Somehow, they've yet to try the upbuilding counsel for me. Maybe that's reserved for 'high class' JW's.:)

ashi

• BritBoy
    BritBoy

Indeed Ashitaka

I also love the bit under reasons why... Hidden Serious Sin... a perfect excuse for a witch hunt! "Keep diggin 'til you find that sin brothers!" 1 Elders 26:15 (NWT)

They wouldn't have made the cane if you weren't meant to break the rules!

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

:::The facts are that ever so many persons are spiritually strong having a personal relationship with God, yet never attending a Kingdom Hall.:::

Good observation, Ozzie. I once made the observation to a C.O. that when things are going badly it's ALWAYS perceived as something that the elders are not doing right and no consideration is ever given about what comes down to us from above. He seemed unable or unwilling to understand what I was saying. Your statement (noted above) to a Circuit Overseer is contradictory. One must realize that it is not spirituality with which the leadership is concerned but with membership and participation in the proselytizing work. The members are, after all, PUBLISHERS!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I once made the observation to a C.O. that when things are going badly it's ALWAYS perceived as something that the elders are not doing right and no consideration is ever given about what comes down to us from above. He seemed unable or unwilling to understand what I was saying.

How different it makes our outlook on things when we bring God into it! It seems to me to be humble to recognise God's hand in our affairs. So it's a case of "Why is God allowing this? What does he want me to do?" etc Contrast this with what we've been taught in successive KMS and we see that what we were taught amounts to no more than the directions that might be found flowing down from the upper echelons of any marketing corporation or department.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

Anonymous

• DIM
    DIM

absolutely pathetic!

i'm sick and tired of hearing things from uptight-short-sighted-narrow minded hypocritics. all i want is the truth just gimme some truth - John Lennon

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

So sad!

Interview:
    Brother who was once inactive and was reactivated. On shepherding call, the travelling overseer said to inactive person: “You are still in good standing”.

Well dang! If I'm still in good standing I'm going back! That clinches it That's one sad pick up line!

Thanks for posting Ozzie

bw

Everything secret degenerates, even the administration of justice; nothing is safe that does not show how it can bear discussion and publicity. Lord Acton 1834-1902

• Room 215
    Room 215

Ozzie,
    Nice work! A lotta typing..... In the ``endeavor to use discernment'' subsection, notice how they omit the biggest cause of peoples' disaffection with the organization... the organization itself.... its false prophecies, flip-flopping on doctrinal issues, their playing God on the blood issue, ham-handed abuses of authority, its contempt for everyone not of their own, its cynicism and prevaricating to the media and its own members.

Unbelievable.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Roomie,

You're so right when you say "notice how they omit the biggest cause of peoples' disaffection with the organization... the organization itself....". The focus of attention, the blame for the inactivity is always put on the individual, never the organisation.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

Anonymous

• DB
    DB

Good post Ozzie! it is interesting that the supposed 'cure' for inactivity is attending meetings and developing good study habits...in other words, re-immersing that one into the Society's way and brand of thinking; but never really addressing what is bothering that inactive one. Very likely, such a person has lost confidence in this organization (yes, the 'generation' teaching change has affected many, but notice how they handle that in the demo, by simply brushing it aside).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit