Louis L'Amour

by White Dove 16 Replies latest social entertainment

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I read most of his books, and I'm always on the lookout for ones I don't have. Always enjoyed Zane Grey's books too.

W

• undercover
    undercover
    We used to talk about the Sacketts as if we knew them personally.

When they made the TV mini-series about Tell, Orrin and Tyrel it amazed me how well they cast the actors. Sam Elliot was Tell Sackett. And Tom Selleck was Orrin. Don't remember the guy who played Ty but he nailed him. And Ben Johnson and Glenn Ford...perfect.

As tough as those Sackett boys were, it was them Clinch Mountain Sacketts that you had to be careful and not cross. I think Logan was one of my favorite Sacketts.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Wow...I'm going to have to check out the Sacketts. My dad is sending me books gradually. He got them from my grandparents.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yep, Logan was a character.

"I hope he don't kill 'em all afore I git there!"

Tyrel and Parmalee were my favorites.

Syl

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Tell Sackett was a straight up BAMF. Go to the UrbanDictionary if you don't know what a BAMF is.

"I never could understand why the Good Book said to smite them hip and thigh. I always thought it better to smite them in the chin or belly" Tell Sackett

I haven't read any L'Amour since I was quite a bit younger but one thing that always enjoyed was his ability to describe the geography or lay of the land of his stories. I could imagine it in great detail and loved it.

"Last Stand at Papago Wells" is a good one.

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

Another good one is Sackett Brand! That's the one where Tell gets cornered and his Sackett relatives come from every corner of the U.S. practically to bail him out. I still get chills every time I read it. "Hunt one Sackett, and you hunt 'em all."

• snowbird
    snowbird

Another thing I liked about L'Amour is that he gave Native Americans their props.

For example, he stated over and over that. in his view, the Apaches were the world's greatest guerilla fighters.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit