My Trip to the Unitarian Universal Church

by NewChapter 32 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

So, pretty much I no longer care to believe in a god. But, either because of my 20 years in a jw daze, or because humans just desire this, I miss the community. So, I went to a Unitarian church this morning. Very nice people. NOW, considering that the only thing I've known for 20 years was the kingdom hall, I thought I'd recount what happened.

I walked in, and there were no bibles. Some chairs had songbooks on them. A woman played the piano. Another woman stood and sang a lovely song. The minister, a woman, announced she would not be there next week cuz she was going on a lesbian retreat. The entire thing was orchestrated by women.

The pastor then told an unflattering racial story connected to the unitarian church, and used it as a teaching point, and talked about how they have learned from their mistakes. In other words, her church had been wrong, and they knew it and admitted it. THEN, she read some quotes from Martin Luther King. She talked about Obama's election and how so many people danced. She said she didn't dance cuz she was exhausted from going DOOR TO DOOR and taking people who needed rides to the voting polls. She celebrated without dancing.

Then she talked about the midterm elections and how it was a back lash. Then, all the little children dressed in jeans and tennis shoes passed out valentines they had made for members that did things for the kids. Then the children wandered downstairs for a program tailored to their age. Then people stood and announced the programs at the church, things like woman's studies and yoga, during the week. The pastor announced some cakes for the queen of heaven (lol) things some people liked to do.

Then they didn't pray, they just sort of thought about some important things. Then everyone sang, to real piano music and the meeting was over. BUT, there was a potluck afterward. Dishes were labled whether they were Vegan or Vegetarian, ETC. At the potluck, you chose tables to sit at depending on the subject you'd like to talk about. Things like, "social justice" "religious teaching for children" and such. My table discussed being more welcoming, and how could they organize social events and make sure people could take part.

The whole thing was enough to make any self-respecting JW's head spin. Still, it was comfortable and very interesting. I was surrounded by some pretty smart people really aware and invested in what was happening in the world. I sat with a college professor at the pot luck, and everyone seemed fairly happy. Of course, people do when others are looking. No one mentioned god.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, NewChapter, for putting up this fascinating story!

We have a "Church Street," which includes a UUC. I've really wondered what goes on there, though I'm sure the format from church to church is not a carbon copy. No mention of God and your choice of subjects to discuss ...

Totally flies in the face of today's WT lesson!!!!!!

Gratefully,

CoCo

• tec
    tec

Thanks for sharing the experience.

It sounds like a fun and interesting group.

Without even one mention of God, it doesn't sound much like a church though.

But certainly an interesting and tolerant/respectful group to be involved with.

Tammy

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

I've been going to the Unitarian Universalist Church for about 2 yrs. My pastor "Reverand James" likes to be called "James". His religious education encompases so much that I am REALLY impressed. I am not easily impressed. I am also impressed with the people and children attending. The main theme is about community be it our immediate area or international. They take from all religious creeds, judge no one and are unconditional in their exceptance of all who attend. Classes are offered that encompass just about anything you can think of. I love it there. I think every congregation has it's own flavor but I like where I go. What ever you believe you are welcome.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

the format from church to church is not a carbon copy. No mention of God and your choice of subjects to discuss ...

Yeah, from what I understand, you can actually read what will be discussed at all the area churches, and attend the one that interests you most. They do light candles, but it wasn't super ritualistic. And it was just nice talking to a group of people who can't be judgemental cuz they don't really have any rules. Other than acting ethically of course.

In the basement, where the potluck was, a poster read something like, ONE FAITH, MANY THOUGHTS, something like that. I talked with the pastor and she told me she also came from an extreme fundamentalist religion and it took her 7 years to officially leave it. To me, any thought of religion doesn't seem to mix with my current beliefs AT ALL. Yet, that need for community still remains. This is one awesome solution. LOL

We'll see--but some of their extra activities are really interesting. I want to go to that Women Studies: history group.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter
    What ever you believe you are welcome

I KNOW, and that is such a foreign concept for me. I told that pastor, who wants to be called Chris, that you can't gracefully walk away from JW's. She kind of understood, because her mother-in-law is an ex JW. Still, she seemed interested in a lot of things. I think she was surprised that if you had any disagreement with doctrine, you just couldn't be JW anymore. And SHE thought she used to belong to a closed minded church! LOL

And I TESTED everyone. Like this, "Hi, I'm an Atheist". LOL Not really, but close. I kept looking for that need to preach---nothing. WEIRD

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

One thing though. They mentioned their District Assembly a few times. That just gave me cold sweats and shivers. Of course, what they were referencing is not at all related to those miserable summer conventions that I never, ever grew to love, no matter how much they said I would. JUST MISERABLE. And the same thing over and over and over. And everyone always saying. oh this is so wonderful, oh this is such a booster, oh a new book that says the exact same thing as all the other books, but isn't it a beautful provision?

ugh.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

One thing though. They mentioned their District Assembly a few times. That just gave me cold sweats and shivers. Of course, what they were referencing is not at all related to those miserable summer conventions that I never, ever grew to love, no matter how much they said I would. JUST MISERABLE. And the same thing over and over and over. And everyone always saying. oh this is so wonderful, oh this is such a booster, oh a new book that says the exact same thing as all the other books, but isn't it a beautful provision?

ugh.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

A religious group that is tolerant and doesn't teach to hate those different from you? See, not all religion is bad.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

That sounds pretty much like how the UU meetings are described in a church near where I live. I've never been, because it's a 45-minute drive, and I'm way too lazy for that on a Sunday, LOL! But I was friends with the husband of the pastor there and good friends of mine attend there too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit