Did you ever get stumped in the ministry?

by NewChapter 16 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I did, once. I got into a tiny discussion with a return visit about the cross. I confidently informed her that the cross was a pagan symbol not used by Christians. She said, "I know. The Romans were pagans, so they used a pagan symbol." I was pretty much speechless. It was a good point.

Edited to fix a glaring spelling error that was driving me nutz.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I was witnessing years ago, going farm-to-farm, and I launched into the usual spiel: "Wouldn't you like to live forever in Paradise on earth?"

(This was around the time of the Live Forever book), and the old man at the door just said "No."

I guess he had seen enough bad things in his life to wish it was all over.

That really f**ked up my presentation!

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

LOL @ transhuman68

I remember someone at a door stumped me with a question about the organisation that I couldn't answer. I was going to call back but something inside me told me that he would know more than me, and I wouldn't win the argument.

About 2 years later I left the Borg.

• Mary
    Mary

Yep....when a gorgeous guy came to the door wearing only a towel as he had just gotten out of the shower. I was left speechless and think I offered to sell him a pen or something.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

A few years back I was going door to door with my wife and we ran into a couple who knew their bible very well. With their King James version in hand they started asking us how we understood specific scriptures - one of them was where it is said that Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega - they asked how could this apply to both Jesus and God? The couple read several other scriptures that stomped us. During all that time my wife had been listening quietly, so they started asking her some questions! She couldn't answer any of them which was no surprise to me because she is a typical JW wife who follows the lead of her husband. So I said I would do research in our publications and would return with another brother and we could sit down and answer their questions...They said that they would only accept reasoning from the Bible and not from our publications and the householder insisted that I returned with my wife. I said OK...then the man said that I wouldn't return like every other JW before. I did some research and the answers I found were not clearly supported by the bible. Without the WT publications I would have to agree with what this couple...so as he predicted I never returned. This call came back to my mind when I started finding out about the "truth"...how people in our territory knew way more than us about the bible without the help of "the faithful and discreet slave".

• designs
    designs

Yes, trying to argue creation to a evolutionist, got stomped and deserved it.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter
    Mary: Yep....when a gorgeous guy came to the door wearing only a towel as he had just gotten out of the shower. I was left speechless and think I offered to sell him a pen or something.

Aww! I NEVER got calls like that! I wish I had been working with you. But then, had I got a call like that, I would have had to have kept all the funny thoughts to myself! So the last thing you would want to do was convert him. LOL

• mamamo
    mamamo

I once had a guy tell me he was a demon worshiper. That was his opening line. I was about 19 and I just burst out laughing. Mind you this was a possible redneck ( a big truck and boat in the yard) in his 40's.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Not that I remember. Back in the day I did a lot of Bible reading without the wt filter and read many history and science books I could get my hands on.. Always carried a KJV along. Could go off the grid at the drop of a hat. However, this caused standoffs were neither side would give in. When this happened I would tell th HH it was a pleasure meeting them and bid them a good day. Always tryed to leave a wt & awake, some took them, others didn't. Don't get me wrong I was no super jw, nor whizz kid. I just don't back down.

Terry could do the same. He was better than me, could work a HH backwards and forwards. The objective was to plant a seed ( 1Cor.3:6 ), as many on the board attempt to do with jw's today. Sadly it was a waste of time, could have been doing something constructive with my life, getting an education comes to mind. I'll be 61 in March, having a nest egg would be nice too.

• Pineapple
    Pineapple

Haveing been raised in "the Truth" I only understood (although quite clearly) what the WBTS taught. NOW, having lived in "the World", I beleive that if I were to return to being a JW I would be Much more affective in the ministry. The world has afforded me the oppertunity to better understand the minds of those who dont believe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit