Awake!: For Idiots - Or Just Written By Them?

by metatron 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Churches do have scholars and scholarship but it is hardly read by the public rank and file members. There is something about many people of faith that causes them to separate book learnin from their day to day lives.

Perhaps it is because when you go through life believing someone bigger, stronger, smarter, better, higher, and more invisible than you is going to take away all problems it removes any innate desire you might have had to step up and make improvements for yourself and those around you. Why study and learn? God already knows what he's doing.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would add that these answers are very stupid. And not practical, given the Washtowel doctrines that insist that everyone need do more. Sleep more? And get hounded because your field circus is slipping or you skip the occasional boasting session. Stop injuring yourself? What they don't tell people is that people get hurt while out in field circus, and that dry cleaning smell from all those dry cleaned suits can be very dangerous to your health.

And, why don't they say a word about the fast, good-tasting poison they eat every day for lunch? While I don't see anything wrong with an occasional fast food meal, eating it every single day is a sure way to get sick. Yet, the pio-sneers do it every day. I have also seen people that eat more TV dinners regularly because they don't have time to cook a proper meal--because they need to get ready for the boasting session or Family Waste the Evening night. This phude (I don't call it food--because of all the monosodium glutamate and other chemicals commonly found in TV dinners) can, when eaten all the time, cause many health problems including brain damage.

You are better off to research the information yourself. You can get both sides of the debate online--the mainstream, allopathic viewpoints along with the natural, drugs-are-scams viewpoints are both accessible and both worthy of looking at. And far superior to reading the Asleep! rag. I don't see how on earth the Asleep!, with such stupid information as this, can be compared to a university degree.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

metatron - "Perhaps future articles will instruct you on finding your derriere using both hands. Or the folly of urinating into a strong wind."

What a loving provision that would be.

I would be happified.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

Transhuman,I love that cat in your pic....

• poppers
    poppers

Reading of the Awake magazine is said to give a person the equivalent of a university degree;

- this could well be true, if that degree happened to be a Bachelor of Stupidity.

More like a "Masters" of Studpity.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Back in the 80's there was an article in the Awake about popcorn.

It stated that popcorn is actually good for you, its the butter and salt that you put on the popcorn that is bad.

My congregation was literally abuzz with this vital, secret information, that is apparently unavailable any where else.

• watson
    watson

They have a "simplified" version of the Watchtower coming out. Can't wait.

• Pistoff
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

METATRON: Unfortunately, we live in a dumbed-down world and there are some educationally-challenged people who think these magazines offer pearls of wisdom. To somebody who is illiterate and has piss-poor life skills this tells them how to live. I know this is pathetic but I believe civilization in the west is going backwards. I am not defending the religion but many JWs live in a bubble and don't realize the elementary education in their magazines is not intellectual study - just a guide for babes who need to be told how to tie their shoes.

• whathappened
    whathappened

I had to laugh at last years assembly. They brought out again how we shouldn't be overly concerned about our health. I looked around and saw the disabled sections full, the grossly obese people sitting in every row and thought "we should be giving more attention to our health." All the folks in our hall are on meds for every kind of illness, especially depression and anxiety ( i wonder why?).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit