Is it acceptable for JWs to put flowers on a loved one's grave?

by serenitynow! 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ding
    Ding

Leprechaun stated my feelings exactly.

Alarm bells ought to go off for anyone who feels they must get the okay from a group of men in Brooklyn before it's okay to put flowers on a loved one's grave.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Amen Ding!!!!!

Snoozy

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Well, I found my copy of Grandma's obituary. I haven't been able to look at it for years and I forgot where I had put it. So now I know where the cemetary is.

• teel
    teel

I have known JWs who were proud to never visit the grave... They thought it's an expression of their faith, that the loved one will return soon.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

In Romania, tending to the cleanliness of the burial graves falls into the responsability of the living relatives of the deceased, if there are any. They also have to pay a small tax for each 6 years they want to keep the grave. After 7 years from a burial, the same grave can be used to bury another person. The aforementioned obligations are enforced by law. The Romanian JW know it's their lawful obligation to tend to the graves of the deceased relatives, so here it's normal to bring flowers and to plant flowers on the graves. The difference is that the JWs do not light candles on the graves and do not tend the graves during the Day of the Dead.

• carla
    carla

How would they know if you visited a grave and brought flowers unless they too were visiting the grave?

• Heaven
    Heaven

I was told that too. Then it occurred to me to ask "Why is it ok to give flowers to people who aren't dead, if it is a form of worship?"

Scully, good question. Wish I had thought of it back then.

Lars, that was a good one!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit