Would you say anything to someone that is accepting JW literature ?

by troubled mind 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

There is a woman at the place I work that has studied off and on for several yrs with one of the JW employees . Today I was in her office and I noticed in her bookcase a collection of JW literature . She has the Insight books , a Revelation Book and some other brochures . I know she has taken the magazines for a few yrs too. I think she knows about my past . The people in this workplace gossip like crazy so nothing is a secret . My JW ex-sister in law is the one that witnesses to her .

So today I was just wondering how to go about opening up a discussion about the literature she is reading . As far as I know she has never gone to the Kingdom Hall .

I would like to at least ask what she thinks about what she has read so far ....

Would you ever warn someone you know about the true nature of being a Witness or do you just mind your own business and let them figure it out themselves ?

• sabastious
    sabastious

I'd just leave enough alone. Anyone who accepts any type of religious or political type literature has a responsibility to check them out on the internet or any other information medium. Today, there is no exuse for not checking up on something before you get heavily involved in it.

-Sab

• Gayle
    Gayle

Definitely!

• Awen
    Awen

I had this happen at my work place. A woman was studying with the Witnesses. I asked her what she had learned and she told me. She asked for clarification on a few points that she didn't quite understand. I made it a point that if she didn't understand something that was being presented to her, to make sure she kept the Witness on subject and not let them stray from it until she was satisfied with the answer. If anyone is going to put themself in the place of being a teacher, then they need to know what they are talking about and be able to answer any and all questions put to them. To do otherwise is a great disservice to the student. There are no bad students, only bad teachers (as I have been told repeatedly).

She then asked me why I was no longer a JW and I explained some of the lesser known aspects of the culture, including the elders getting into one's personal business, being spied upon, the sex abuse the flip flops on the doctrine and so many other things. If she really wanted to know God, she merely had to open her Bible and read it, belonging to a church isn't necessary, unless she just desires human contact. I told her to use the internet to research various JW teachings and let her know they would most likely be the words of ex-JW's (many who have an axe to grind with the WTBTS), but overall their opinions were valid. Consider that they all speak about the same issues, then it stands to reason there is something dreadfully wrong.

I re-emphasized that her JW study conductor would frown upon her doing independent research but that is their nature. She has the right to be fully informed about them and I would be remiss as a Christian if I saw someone walking towards a cliff and didn't notify them of it's existence.

Whether she chose to walk over that cliff is her business, but still it's the loving thing to do to let her know what's ahead.

She did her research, asked me some more questions and asked her study conductor the same questions (they were evaded) or put off until later. She said it seemed that they wanted her to be baptized first before they would answer those questions. She came to the conclusion on her own that something wasn't quite right about them and although they seemed nice enough it wasn't enough for her to hand over her freedoms to a bunch of strangers who were evasive about the history of their religion.

She discontinued her study.

She did continue to ask me questions and I referred her to the Bible and what it said regarding her various questions.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

You can ask how she feels about jws preaching for 50 years that Jesus returned in 1874? Maybe you can get some interesting coversation started. But you should say something to make her at least be curious enough to research wts' past.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I would tell that person to research the WT very thoroughly.

Syl

• Ding
    Ding

I think I'd say, "I notice you're reading Watchtower publications. I used to be a JW. It's fine to read whatever you want, but I'd really encourage you to do thorough research on the Watchtower religion before you buy into it."

Hopefully, that will lead to interesting discussions if the person is really considering becoming a dub.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Hopefully, that will lead to interesting discussions if the person is really considering becoming a dub.

Informal apostasy. Whom do you turn in your time to?

-Sab

• man in black
    man in black

Interesting post !!!

Yesterday I noticed the jw's sitting at a table in the college where I work, they were talking to a student and he seemed pretty interested.

I felt like going up and asking him, "ask them what will happen if you decide to leave this religion anytime after you become a member".

But I just did not know if that would have been a good idea, this post has some good points.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

It seems to me this woman is not interested in joining ,just curious about what JWs do believe . Otherwise she would have already been going to meetings . She has studied and taken magazines for over seven yrs !

I would like to just ask her opinion for example Does she think the Witnesses are the only true religion ? She has read enough literature she has to know that is what THEY think .

I can imagine she has had it all sugar coated to her about how wonderful the witnesses are ,but I wonder if she is aware they have problems just like every other religion .

She is a facebook friend of mine . Maybe what would be better is to start a blog on there sharing my forty yrs experience growing up as a Jehovah's Witness . That way she can at least see a different perspective .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit