"If this 'system of things' goes on..."

by Franklin Massey 22 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Most of them don't invest anything in anything, since they think this system can't go on. They didn't put anything in the stock market during the 1985-1999 boom, not because they were expecting the stock market to take a bath but because they were expecting to get into the New Dark Ages before then. They didn't put anything into gold and silver in the 1970s (when it took off) because they believed that it would do them no good toward getting into the New Dark Ages. They don't put anything in gold or silver now, not because they believe it is going nowhere but because they would rather waste their lives getting ready for the New Dark Ages.

And, they refuse to prepare for potential hardships. They would rather wait until the New Dark Ages. "If this system goes on"--they never hedge in that eventuality. So, they never put anything away or spend to be prepared. You probably will not see any witlesses with a stash of silver and gold rounds, stashes of rechargeable batteries and chargers, stashes of fluoride water filter cartridges, or stashes of other things they could well need in an emergency. No, batteries and flashlights will not prevent rolling blackouts or eliminate their hardship--but they could make the difference between "Oh sxxx, now I won't be able to watch my favorite TV show" and a serious hardship. Having a stash of silver and gold rounds could make the difference between having to be frugal and not getting things at all in the event of hyperinflation.

Perhaps they should be termed "Anti-Scouts". They stubbornly refuse to be prepared--the Scouts motto is to be prepared. Even now as an apostate, I find myself somewhat behind (I did change my crap items for good ones so I wouldn't have to replace them during hyperinflation, and I stashed tons of rechargeable batteries and chargers for use in the event of rolling blackouts). What I still need is silver--were it not for the witlesses, I might have seen the wisdom of stocking up on silver back in 2001-02 when it was still $4 an ounce instead of waiting until it was $26.

• Heaven
    Heaven

"If this 'system of things' goes on..."

They have been helping family members older than them transition in to smaller apartments and assisted living places as their health deteriorates late in life.x

The Botchtower does nothing to prepare people for this inevitability in life. They keep telling people 'the new system is coming soon'. All of my aging JW relatives NEVER thought they'd grow old and die 'in this system of things'. My Dad is dealing with this reality now.

People have been born, lived their entire lives, and died for over 2000 years since Christ. 2000 years ain't soon. I have yet to see anyone I knew who is dead or anyone I have known about who is dead come back to life. Not one.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I recently had dinner with a group of aging witnesses.

One said she will be very happy to live in her apartment until she dies, another that it is frightening to think she will get old and die.

They are getting the message.

I never heard anything like that before the double generation doctrine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit