"If this 'system of things' goes on..."

by Franklin Massey 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

I have been hearing more people saying this now than ever. Especially those in the over-40 crowd. I just got off the phone with an older JW family member who was reviewing options for Golden Years living. They have been helping family members older than them transition in to smaller apartments and assisted living places as their health deteriorates late in life. This particular person has a good 15+ years before they would be be at a point where they may have to face that kind of decision. They said, "I need to consider where I would want to live out the rest of my life in case this system goes on." A little later they added, "You know, a lot of these older ones though they would live to see Armageddon. I don't want to put off making arrangements in case it doesn't come before I die."

I don't want to be too optimistic about this. Yes, they still think Armageddon is coming. The thing that interests me is the willing recognition that it may not come in time for them to see it. The person mentioned above was one of those who told me when I was young that I wouldn't have to go to high school, get married, etc., because the end is so close. Fast forward 20-30 years and now this same person is willing to acknowledge that it may not be as soon as they thought.

Some who have been willing to express these types of comments aloud will feel guilty about showing a "lack of urgency" and so they finish the statement off with something like, "But I just can't see how God could let it go on much longer. Things are getting worse every day." Still, they were willing to entertain the idea.

Is this a sign of the weakening of a core JW doctrine; one that has the ability to exercise power over the masses? Judgement Day is a whip that religion has used repeatedly to keep followers in line. If more are willing to admit, at the very least, that Armageddon might not be that close, does the WT begin to lose its grip on the JWs?

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I remember when I was in high school, and my mother stated that it would come before I hit my mid twenties..........in my early thirties now. For the most part, Armageddon isn't even something on my radar. Every now and then it surfaces in my conscience, but that's just the result of being a born in and it being stamped in my brain for as long as I can remember. As I've gotten older, its not that big of a deal to me, like so what. If it comes great, if doesn't come, oh friggin well. I'm more interested in seeing whats going to happen to this organization in the near future.

I guess Armageddon being used as a whip to keep the masses in line isn't as strong as reality. These apocalyptic groups have been crying wolf for far too long, and its gotten old. I don't like to curse, but this is one of those moments when its fitting to tell the WT and other doomsday groups to STFU already. Buncha lying bastards.

• truthlover
    truthlover

Funny you should mention this today - I was speaking with a friend who is taking classes to improve their education and I asked what is your plans for the future as you have a little girl to bring up.. the answer was" my school,my child, our future"-- we are in the truth, yet have the same outlook.. we know things are getting bad -- Jehovah's Witnesses are not the only ones saying that in religious circles-- yet we (JW's) do not know when this system will end, certainly the older brothers and sisters did not think it would go this far, I can remember thinking our son would not have to go to school....he is now 42 , so we can only try to live for today to secure the future should the system not end in our lifetime.. a BIG COMING OF AGE -- no longer do we think the society has the answers to this one!!

And I do not think we are alone - people just won't say what they believe about this anymore - otherwise they are labelled.. and yes, they do add that little blurb "Jehovah can't let this go on much longer"....

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

no longer do we think the society has the answers to this one!!

A older brother in my hall that I have a lot of respect for was upset by the "overlapping generations" teaching for this very reason. He said something to the effect of, "I wish we would stop toying with these dates and predictions. The Bible says not even Jesus knew. Why should we put ourselves above Jesus by trying to figure this out?"

I get so much joy when someone uses basic logic and reason to think for themselves.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I remember when I was in high school, and my mother stated that it would come before I hit my mid twenties..........in my early thirties now.

My mother said that to me too........actually she said I'd never start school, let along finish school........................but I'm in my early 60s now.

Of course, HER MOTHER said the same thing to her too.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I had one single sister tell me 'if this system goes another 5 years and I dont have a mate I don't think I can make it!'

That was 10 yrs ago. Its a shame people are wasting thier lives and their happiness on the BS cult. I know that 'worldly men' were interested in this sister but alas she was trying to be faithful to Jehovah Er the Slave.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I too was told I would never get out of high school by my Grandmother. Now she is pushing 90 and I am 20 years removed from high school. LOL!

I think a lot of it had to do with the old generation teaching, which pretty much capped "this system of things" at the year 2000.

As far as the OP's comments, yes I think many 50 somethings are taking off the rose colored glasses. Deep down, they know that the big A isn't coming, and most haven't done a damn thing to plan for retirement and old age. I guess better late then never, hopefully they slack off in FS and meetings a bit and enjoy the rest of their lives.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I see the same trend over here.. My dub family (in their 60's) are now actively trying to make plans for retirement and old age in this system.. At the WT Study the other week, the conductor (hardnose character) said how they have to counter the growing belief among the Bros. that ordinary decent people will still into the New World since Jehovah will read their heart....He said that must emphasize that only the baptized dubs will make it.

The flock are getting more mainstream in their thinking, despite what Brooklyn says

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

Blues Brother, your comment reminded me that we had a CO say from the platform a few months ago, "Some think that if someone is a just good person, Jehovah will see that and spare them at Armageddon. That's not true. If they are not a Witness in good standing, they will not be spared." Looking back, I wish I had stood up and walked out.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

SOme are preparing to "not" see the end of this system of things and still wont budge. IT will come soon or later, even if we dont get to see it.

My father told me 2 months ago" your mom and I will die faithfully to Jehovah, even if the end doesnt come"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit