Dear Governing Body - Why Have you abandoned Preaching Methods That Work?

by LostGeneration 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Below are two paragraphs from the upcoming WT Study (Dec 15th Study Edition, pages 13 and 14) Here the Watchtower writer praises the methods used in the past for their effectiveness in bringing many into the organization. I have bolded phrases that emphasize these points.

11 F or example, as noted in the book

Jehovah’s Witnesses—Proclaimers of God’s Kingdom, at the turn of the 20th century, “C. T. Russell and his associates strongly believed that they were in a time of harvest and that people needed to hear liberating truth.” What did they do about this? Realizing that they were in a time of harvest, an especially acceptable time,” these brothers did not content themselves with simply inviting people to come to some religious service. The clergy of Christendom had long been doing just that. Rather, those anointed Christians began to explore other practical ways of spreading the good news. Among other things, they made wise use of the latest technology to advance their work.

12 To spread the Kingdom good news, that small band of zealous ministers used tracts, pamphlets, magazines, and books. They also prepared syndicated sermons and articles for thousands of newspapers. They broadcast Scriptural programs on national and international radio networks. They produced and used moving pictures with synchronized sound recordings, even before the movie industry released motion pictures for the public that ncorporated sound. What was the result of such unflagging zeal? Today,there are some seven million people who have responded to and joined in proclaiming the message: “Become reconciled to God.” Truly, those early servants of Jehovah were fine examples of zeal in spite of limiting circumstances.

I find these two paragraphs to be extremely hypocritical in light of how the Watchtower now delivers its message to the world. A few of the questions that come to mind.

If CT Russell believed he was in a time of harvest, and an especially acceptable time, what is the time we are living in today? Has the time of harvest ended? If not, why does the governing body refuse to use other practical ways to spread the good news? Why do the governing body refuse to make wise use of the latest technology?

True, they do still publish books and magazines, and distribute these. But the modern world is quickly moving away from these formats. If they truly believe that God uses them as his channel of communication, why do they not broadcast radio sermons and post podcasts of governing body talks on the internet for a worldwide audience to hear? Why do they not use television to bring their message to billions, rather than one at a time with door to door salespeople?

What would be the result of such zeal from the govering body?

I think they know what the result would be. Crickets. Nothing. Nada.

A widespread investigation of the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses would result in more questioning of their dangerous blood doctrine. More contempt for their refusal to celebrate something as simple as a birthday. And more hatred of them for their policy of shunning those who no longer believe in their narrow view of salvation

If more people saw the true message of the governing body, they would classify them more like the cult leaders rather than Christians.

The governing body knows it, thats why they keep sending the witnesses out door to door in a fruitless work instead of screaming it from the rooftops. It keeps the message largely hidden from the rest of the world.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I think they quickly discovered that national media (like radio or paid print) COST money - while getting their people to go door to door and sell literature MADE money.

• sir82
    sir82

National / International advertising would prompt public critical response on a national / interanational level.

JWs would be forced to see how ludicrous and inane their beliefs are.

Much better, for keeping JWs "in the fold", to only express the teachings "at the doors", to an audience of 1 or 2 at a time.

Thus (1) JWs are kept occupied in meaningless time-consuming busywork, and (2) logical and coherent refutations of JW belief can be scoffed at with the thought "well I guess he's a goat".

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The leaders of the WTS. have known from the onset that their message was deviously contrived to support the organization

solemnly for its own benefit. Being that the case, the message had to be carefully released with scrutiny and involving awareness.

It bares to keep in mind that J Rutherford was a lawyer who knew quite well how to exploit and push his granted religious freedom

in the States, legally.

Inciting fear and uses persuasive acts of exploitation on to people, this publishing company grew, but it grew out of carefully persuaded

commercial appeal vicariously to the public.

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Because they don't believe it themselves. Why put money into methods that broadcast a message you don't believe in?

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Much better, for keeping JWs "in the fold", to only express the teachings "at the doors", to an audience of 1 or 2 at a time.

Good point Sir82

Too much openness would vacillate a burdening amount of scrutiny by a broader base of the public, drawing challenging

debate and perhaps ridicule on their established doctrines, that they knew had little scriptural backing and strength.

That is part of the reason why they've build up such a protective wall around their devoted followers and keep in their control

to such a high degree. This is also the reason why they are described as being a highly controlling religious cult.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

If they used mass media formats such as television and radio today, it would bring unwanted scrutiny and attention. Russell and particulary Rutherford used all media that was available to them back then because they wanted attention. One might make the argument that Rutherford was a troublemaker seeking publicity at all costs. He didn't care who he slandered, or who's toes he stepped upon in the process. He was like the Paris Hilton of religion back then.

Fast forward to the organization as it is today, they want the exact opposite. They don't want that limelight or attention for much of the same reasons the Gambino Family doesn't want too much attention. One thing I've noticed about the literature is they love to throw potshots at other religions, and for the most part nobody calls the WT out on this. The reasoning being is that the WT and JWs are a nonfactor in most people's lives. Most people don't know anything about JWs, or their beliefs with the exceptions of what JWs don't celebrate. Now if the WT were to seek media attention and force themselves into the public's conscience, they would be forced to explain and worse....defend their doctrines. Can you imagine JR Brown defending the blood policy from the likes of athiests such as Christopher Hitchens? Or David Splain explaining The Faithful and Discreet Slave or the 12 Trumpet Blasts of Revelation against seasoned preachers like Carlton Pearson or Pat Robertson? He'd get roasted, and Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC would have a field day. Not to mention Jon Stewart once he sees Splane's head and perverted smile......the horror, the horror....

In my opinion, this is the WT's primary fear and what they won't acknoweledge as the true reason why they won't do television or radio. The average JW doesn't have a clue about subjects such as 607 vs 586/587. I never knew there was another date that most held as the time Jerusalem fell to the Babylonians, until I started my research. If I hadn't felt something was wrong, and acted on it when I initially felt it, I'd still believe Jerusalem fell in 607. The average JW has never been forced to consider that the "faithful and discreet slave" Jesus mentioned was nothing more than a parabel for illustrative purposes. The WT realizes that if they jump out into the public spectre by using billboards, television, or radio, their questionable doctrines will be analyzed in the public eye, and the potential for fallout amongst JWs would increase dramatically. The Writing Department and the GB realize this, and are quite content with being obscure and unknown in their protective bubble at Bethel.

For the same reasons the WT discourages independent study groups, the WT will avoid too much publicity. They're not looking to debate anything, they're not looking to research anything, they're not looking to accept the possibility that significant core doctrines may be wrong and need reexamined. The last thing they want is their "voluntary publishers" being exposed to reasonable arguments from Babylon the Great. You would think that if the message that the WT wants to get out there is so important, they would use all the media available at their disposal. But to do so would make leave them too vulnerable. So they're content with the most inffective method of preaching, that being apathetic and burned out JWs dropping off magazines to an apathetic public. The combination of meetings, field service, studying, and poor self esteem will keep the publishers too busy to ever stop and question why it is they do what they do. The public they preach to is beyond apathetic, and is content to act like they're not home, or accept the magazines and toss them in the trash. This gives the current GB enough time to sit back and figure what the hell they'll contrive next to make it seem that the light is getting brigher.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Its quite a scam when you think about it. Here all JWs think they are participating in this incredible warning work, while at the same time the leaders of the movement keep the world at large uninformed about the religion as a whole. Brilliant!

• villabolo
    villabolo

James_woods:

"I think they quickly discovered that national media (like radio or paid print) COST money - while getting their people to go door to door and sell literature MADE money."

I disagree. Many preachers manage to fund their radio and television broadcasts. Joseph Rutherford kept up his radio broadcasting until he was forced off the air.

In my opinion, it's a matter of direct control over their members. In George Orwell's fictional totalitarian state, 1984, mention is made of the fact that the Party was keeping its members constantly busy through a wide variety of forced activities other than work. The purpose of that was to keep them from having the spare time to think or do anything that might lead them to develop an independent state of mind.

Villabolo

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I think it comes down to the fact that they know they can't grow beyond a certain point and maintain the same level of control over their followers. For cults, it's better to have complete control over a thousand than partial control over a million.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit