Emptying the cupboards of litter-ature?

by Marilyn 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

I was so furious when I left, I put all the WT's, AW's, misc. books, KM's, and bound volumes (I had a WT CD), in trash bags for the garbage where they belong! It was liberating. I carted those boxes (and boxes and boxes and boxes) of books all over the place everywhere I moved. Gave myself a permanent arm injury moving those boxes. I kept some of the reference books for "hang 'em with their words" arguments. They are completely out of site in a box in the closet.

Trot

"Wicked men obey from fear; good men, from love".... Aristotle. You can love and obey Christ without intervention from an organization.

• Martini
    Martini

It's truely incredible how much litter-ature JW's possess.Or maybe it's more like the damn books possess them. They feel it's like holy water and throwing it away might upset God or something.When I got on the net and people were speaking of the WT as a Printing Corp. it suddenly dawned on me that that is exactly what it is and the tons of litter-ature in every publishers home proves it. My MIL has stacks high up to the ceilings, in every room of the house. When I go to visit it feels like I'm walking into a home with 144 stray cats running aound fighting for an inch space.Well at least if there were cats they would get their supply of spiritual food at the proper time eeekk!

I got rid of alot of WT & AW rags but I'm wondering what to do with my volume set 1960 straight through to 1999. I left in 2000.

Any suggestions?
    Martini

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Yes Martini, I think the fear of distroying the magerzines/books is the crux of the issue. Even when we had thought it all thru, and had made a stand to leave, we felt weird about getting rid of the literature. Spookie huh? I now can't read more than a couple of sentences in a WT before I want to puke! I can't imagine where my head was all those years ago. It's so 'in your face' manipulative it's unbelievable!

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

the last time i was at my jw uncle's (maybe 2 years ago) they had a WHOLE huge closet absolutly filled to the nuts with mags!! they're must be 60 years worth of mags in there.... craziness!
    when me and my cous were kids we'd cut out pics from the mags and use them as scenery when we played with our dolls . muahahha!

~*~ go away ... i'm alright ~*~

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I got rid of a lot of my stuff while I was still a JW. I dumped a load of books and all my bound and bindered magazines. An elder in a neighboring congregation took some or my collection. I had to ship (literally) all my personal belongings and I felt my road and mountain bikes were more important than 1970s Awakes. Anyway, I expected to get everything on CD-ROM. Not quite, but some extremely kind and generous people on this board freely gave me some replacements for items not available on the CD.

My parents still have a box of my personal belongings in their attic. It includes a copy of Riches(the book with a bare breasted Eve and a four legged snake) which I should retrieve someday along with my 1960's stamp collection.

Thirdson

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

It's surprising how useful the literature (especially the mags) can be to 'witness' to the R&F.

For example, how many realise that the WTS teach that Jesus is NOT their mediator? Not too many. So being able to show them in print (better than the CD) can make for an interesting conversation.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

• Valentine
    Valentine

(((((((mar))))))))0
    How ya doin?
    oooo,lol. I remember litterachure tossing day well!
    I had stopped attending the mtgs cold and was researching much of the doctrine.(didnt have Coc,didnt really need it to find all the baloney).
    It was probably a few months down the road and I was getting angier and angrier at all the horseshit I had been force fed since birth! And about religions in general due to my research. Finding out ,ALL religions were based on myth and superstition was liberating.
    I had went back to school and needed the room for all the texts and materials I was bringing home,saw how much room the WT dreck was taking and had a 'tossday'.
    I can't believe how good it felt,how liberating! It felt like literal tons of my shoulders as I threw the bound volumes etc,one by one in the garbage bin! That included the various bibles.........glorious freeing feeling!!!!!
    A good memory and feeling indeed! hugs,tina

Todays Affirmation:
    The complete lack of evidence is the surest sign that the conspiracy is working.

• 2SYN
    2SYN

Isn't it kinda cool that most of the people here replaced 100KG+ of books with a CDROM that weighs a few grams? I wonder what old Charles Tazey Boy would have thought about that...my mom still keeps a sh*tload of the old books, Revelation, all the annotated references, mags, you name it! We just never bothered to throw them away when I left and she drifted...if you open them up now (esp. the study books such as Revelation) you will find highlighter and pen markings that are many years old, and faded, and the occasional note in the margin (never any of my notes tho). When I see stuff like this it reminds me of just how distant that OTHER me was, the one who was underlining all that stuff in his childhood, not truly understanding it, but wanting to believe, and having no choice about the matter...I think all of us have come very far if we are able to throw away or even burn these writings. This means that the grip of the WTBTS programming is weakening inside us, which is an amazing, liberating thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit