How do I get them to leave me alone?

by Mr. Falcon 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Why does every ex-elder who went through so much turmoil while being an elder always whine to me about how much it sucked, yet when I mention that I don't want to be one, they suddenly get all nostalgic and tell me what a blessing it is to serve as an E-man?

I. DON'T. WANT. TO. BE. AN. ELDER.

PERIOD.

Maybe I might have a change of heart one day if they actually require these men to have some sort of actual psychological/communication training or if they start handing out paychecks. But until then, I respectfully decline.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I am on a non profit board. Basically I believe in the work my group does (historic preservation) and I have made a number of broad 'friendships' the kind that make the service tolerable. But while I complain about the time consuming meetings and extra volunteer assignments (this is a working board) I still experience a level of satisfaction from the process. There is pride in what we've accomplished and when I step down in the near future I'd like to know that our new appointees will be able and capable people.

To fill the slots most of the board actively looks for qualified candidates. Many of whom, like you, are not interested but who seem to appreciate that they were considered.

Obviously you must give the right impression which leads me to a final thought, since you are on this forum remind me never to play poker with you!

• Open mind
    Open mind

Possible reply:

"Well Brother Recruiter, I don't think I could really enforce the current thinking about Higher Education with a clear conscience. Let me know if the Society starts to take a more moderate stance in the future."

om

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

Well said, Giordano.

The last time the CO came around a few elders were all suddenly interesting in "talking" to me about my "future goals". make sure I'm still "reaching out".

I told them if they ever approached me about being an elder that I would run screaming out the Kingdom Hall. They started laughing but quickly stopped when they realized that I was quite serious.

@ Open mind - haha "Brother Recruiter". It's like they are selling time-share properties or something. They remind me of Ricky Roma in Glengarry Glen Ross. Thanks, but I'll pass.

• moshe
    moshe

Ask them, "who the legal entity that appoints the elders in the KH?"- if the CO is willing to give an answer, then ask them if an elder is a legal representative of that entity and will the WT legal department represent you, if you are sued for carrying the directives of said WT legal entity?

The last answer is a NO, for sure, and is reason enough to decline the honor of the being an elder.

ps- tell them you need his answers confirmed in writing from the legal department, too.

• flipper
    flipper

MR. FALCON - I went through the same problem when I attended regularly. The elders would try to make me feel " guilty " for not " reaching out " as they call it for the " privilege " of being an elder. At the time I was in my late 20's with 3 small children aged 4, 2 and 1 yr.old. I told them " No thanks, I'm enjoying the " privilege " of being a good father and spending quality time with my children . Don't want to divide my time up and take away precious time from my children ". The elders never bothered me after that about reaching out - thankfully.

If you just tell them you have other more important pressing obligations- perhaps they'll get your message. Let's hope so ! Good luck to you

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

Tell them your not really sure you agree with the blood doctrine as it now stands. If they ask why, tell them that you wonder why certain parts of blood can be taken based on YOUR conscience yet other parts of blood cannot be taken regardless of what YOUR conscience says. Then tell them, you'll let them know if you change your mind.

That was what got me wiped off the books as an elder. Best thing that ever happened to me because that's what helped me to realize it was a cult.

• moshe
    moshe
    That was what got me wiped off the books as an elder.

Yes, I can see that happening. A logical mind is a quality that is not desired for an elder's appointment.

• Ding
    Ding

You might tell them that you are sure there are many men whose service to the organization far exceeds your own and that they are far more deserving of being an elder than you.

If that doesn't work, you might tell them that you post regularly on an apostate website.

That should end them pressuring you to become an elder....

• JeffT
    JeffT

What Flipper said, describes me to a "T." I had enough to do with young children.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit