What would Jesus do? What would the Pharisees do? What would the HLC do?

by undercover 11 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

Mark 3:1-6

Once again he (Jesus) entered into a synagogue, and a man was there with a dried-up hand. So they (the Pharisees) were watching him closely to see whether he would cure the man on the sabbath, in order that they might accuse him. And he said to the man with the withered hand: “Get up [and come] to the center.” Next he said to them: “Is it lawful on the sabbath to do a good deed or to do a bad deed, to save or to kill a soul?” But they kept silent. And after looking around upon them with indignation, being thoroughly grieved at the insensibility of their hearts, he said to the man: “Stretch out your hand.” And he stretched it out, and his hand was restored. At that the Pharisees went out and immediately began holding council with the party followers of Herod against him, in order to destroy him.

And now, rewritten for modern audiences:

The doctor entered the hospital room, and there was a JW man with disease. So the HLC watched closely to see whether the doctor would attempt to cure the man with blood, in order that they might accuse the diseased man. The doctor said to the diseased man: "Allow me to do my job and I may can save you." Next he said to the HLC: "Was it lawful for Christ to heal the sick on the Sabbath? Is it lawful to do a good deed or to do a bad deed, to hopefully save a life or kill a life?" But the HLC kept silent. And after looking around them with indignation, being thoroughly grieved at the insensibility of their hearts, he said to the man: "Stretch out your arm." And the man stretched it out, and a needle was inserted. At that the HLC went out and immediately began holding council with the elders of the diseased man's congregation against him, in order to destroy him.

• tec
    tec

Undercover, that was a great comparison.

Tammy

• undercover
    undercover

Thanks, Tammy...

and now a shameless BTTT

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hey, I love that analogy. If I ever write about WT doctrine, I might use that.

• undercover
    undercover
    If I ever write about WT doctrine, I might use that.

You're more than welcome to... It kinda came to me one day and I just finally got around to putting it down.

• sir82
    sir82

Violating the sabbath was a capital offense.

But Jesus indicated it was perfectly acceptable to violate the sabbath to save a life.

So why is it a "gross sin" worthy of eternal destruction with no hope of resurrection to save a life with a blood transfusion?

• minimus
    minimus

Great analogy!

• s0rt3d
    s0rt3d

Fantastic! Too sad though that the mind-controlled dubs who visit (troll) this site will refuse to see/accept the logic and sense of it!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Well palyed UC, well played indeed.

I have often used that example ( healing on the Sabbath) with my JW family, reminding them that the Sabbath was a direct command of God given on the original 10 commendments ( notice no mention of blood on "THE BIG 10").

If Jesus and God felt it correct to break one of the original commandments to save a life even the life of an animal, then is it not even MORE correct to break a dietary restriction to save a life?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Well done, UC!

I'm printing this out for future reference.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit