I need help! Do you find it difficult pretending to keep your family?

by im stuck in 15 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Have you found a therapist that you are comfortable with? If not, I would highly recommend this. You are not alone.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

First of all let me tell you i'm truly sorry your situation is the way it is and I hope it changes for the good.

We have a different experience we left together no kids no family in the org and it was still difficult and I believe each person has a different capacity to deal with things. It's easy to say "well this is what you ought to do" we're not the same.

Once I realized it was a lie my insides began to scream and i just couldn't listen to them for another minute and my husband knew it was time to go and we walked out and honestly they could have shot at me and I would have kept on going and I did not care what the cost was. That's me and everyone must find their own way.

• im stuck in
    im stuck in

Thanks for all of the kind thoughtful words. I know that many of you are going through similar pain and please know that I feel the same way for you.

I think I will try to find some counselling as suggested it can't hurt, and I have been before and know that it helps. I am going to ponder all of this this weekend. I doubt that I will attend KH with her on Sunday so I can be alone to think. When I think of the lives of so many people that (watchtower) they play with it is devestating. I am pretty sure that many of the GB and high ups have to know what they are doing. That it is all a concept. But as for most of the rank and file I think that they are just followers. Only us true leaders who can think for ourselves will make it out. Thanks again stuck in

• Ding
    Ding

I didn't have family in the WT, but from my observations dealing with JWs in general, sometimes less talking is more effective.

Listen as much as you can.

What bothers your wife about the organization or its teachings?

Draw her out rather than trying to show her things she isn't ready for.

You didn't say where you are spiritually with the Bible as opposed to the Watchtower.

I agree with Brotherdan.

If you still have faith in God and the Bible, focus on that in your own life.

If you'd like to PM me and discuss anything, feel free.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Idoubt that I will attend KH ... so I can be alone to think.

Good plan. The org relies on a steady drumbeat of propaganda along with a busy schedule precisely so you will not have time to think. The longer you go w/o a meeting, the clearer your mind becomes. Once the toothpaste is out of the tube, there's no putting it back in.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "I have been considering seeing a therapist but I am not sure of that. ..."

Yes!! By ALL means, see a therapist!! If possible, see a therapist who is [at the very least...] familiar with cult mentality and hopefully one who has worked extensively with cult survivors...

I cannot help you with any other aspects, as I was able to leave the religion - sect - cult - AND my miserable Jehovah's Witness marriage AND my dysfunctional, destructive family, all at once.

But having a good therapist - if you can afford it - can provide a safe outlet for your unhappiness; a place to safely vent your anger, and a neutral person to provide fresh outlooks on your situation...

May you have the best results for your situation...

Zid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit