DON'T SAY THIS WHEN YOU ARE PRAYING!!!!

by brotherdan 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• elderelite
    elderelite

I dont have the CD rom to pull the quote from, but essentially, the insight book says that Jehovah applied the ransom of Jesus RETROACTIVLY to those in prechristian time. Yes boys and girls, even before the ransom was given, it was the basis upon which God heard the prayers of the hebrews. So even though they didn't put the "in jesus name" stamp on it, it still applied. Go figure. (and dont bother looking for the scriptural support for that crap)

• factfinder
    factfinder

Ding,

yes, years ago I told Jehovah how I felt and have from time to time mentioned it to him again. I have asked him to provide me with proof that he cares for me, but none has been provided. He knows what is in my heart and how extremly hurt , bitter, angry, lost, discouraged and dissapointed I am- but each time I've prayed I felt hollow inside. No-one is listening. And I feel guilty. I wonder if my jw brother is right? But the wts is wrong on nearly everything.

To me, if Jehovah is there and really listens and pays attention to what I say- he certainly does not like me.

• Ding
    Ding

Factfinder, I've sent you a PM.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Thank you Ding! I sent one to you too!

• Room 215
    Room 215

Considering their offhanded use of the divine name "Jehovah this" and "Jehovah that," the tendency towards informality would seem to be undwerstandable. Also, when's the last time any JW followed Jesus' injunction to "pray for your enemies and those who persecute you?"

• elderelite
    elderelite

Room 215, thats a very interesting question, about praying for those persecuting you. I personally on many many occasions heard Carry Barber praying over meals at bethel say, and I quote, "we pray that your enemies go on suffering reverses and that those persecuting us come to nothing".. and would go on and talk basically call down evil on them. Of couse the young clowns would walk away saying "oh so bold, GB praying like that, end must be near", but I often thought of what you just said... is that really what one of Christ's brothers should be saying? Did Jesus ever offer prayers like that, or did he ask "forgive them, they know not what they do"?

• blondie
    blondie

Here's some counsel that should be applied...

*** w09 2/15 pp. 16-17 par. 11 Do Jesus’ Sayings Influence Your Prayers? ***We should also realize that public prayer is not an occasion to try to impress listeners or cause them to wonder how long it will be before we say “Amen.” Using prayer to make announcements or to counsel the audience would also be out of harmony with the spirit of Jesus’ sayings in the Sermon on the Mount.

or this

*** w87 7/15 p. 12 par. 9 How Meaningful Are Your Prayers? ***At times we may be inclined to hurry through our prayers. But noteworthy is the observation: “If you are too busy to pray, you are too busy.” We should not want to memorize certain words and just repeat them each time we pray; neither should it be necessary for a witness of Jehovah to read his prayer, as at a public assembly.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

great points, here.

I always thought some of my father's dinner-time prayers were strange, almost "conversational" God. He would be like, "We appreciate this nice weather, Jehovah; it's been nice, hasn't it?" and stuff like that. Like he's stuck on an elevator with God and just trying to make friendly small talk.

I've always read in the Watchtowers concerning prayer that we should have the attitude of waiting on God and just grinning and bearing whatever it is that crushing us, until God "fixes" the problem.

As brotherdan pointed out, the Bible has numerous examples of rightous men who were "upset" that God was allowing them to suffer (not blaming Him for the suffering, but upset that He was permitting it). Yet if you tried to give a public prayer that had a similar tone to the dirges of Moses or the Psalmist, then you'd better get ready for the beat-down that will surely follow.

• Quentin
    Quentin

wt dolts...no wrong in speaking to God in an informal way...tell God how you feel, if your angry, your angry, no need to hold back. Happy-dappy about the day? Tell God, just as you would a friend,or family member. It's a two way relationship, not a cmmunity project. Be happy, mad, in-between, doesen't matter. Your here, doing the best with what you have. wt jerks....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit