Counting Time

by Amelia Ashton 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I tried to do a minimum 30 hours a month Field Service. However, if we had only been allowed to count the time of "the actual conversations" we had with householders at the door I wonder what the real figure would be?

I think mine would easily have been less than 1 hour per month. Per year = 360 hours but actual time only 12 hours.

What an incredible waste of time and money!

• teel
    teel

The vast majority of my FS time was knocking on doors, and leaving without a word being spoken, or being stopped at "good afternoon". Even at the return visits at least 75% of the talk was non-Bible related - those few who let us in, did it because they missed the company, wanted someone to chat with, but not about the Bible. They wanted social interactions so bad - single old people, stay-at-home moms, etc. - that they were willing to put up with some religious talk too. So yes, I could say I only did minutes of actual witnessing per month.

• nugget
    nugget

I hated field service it seemed such a waste of time. If you deducted time hanging around on corners then the amount of time spent is greatly reduced. It seemed to me the whole point of the exercise was not to talk to anyone, why else would you do not at homes at the same time and day when you made the original call.

I agree Amelia we must meet up for coffee and spend quality time together.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Most FAKE their hours in some way or other.

My old CoBE is never seen out on FS but pioneers. It's a miracle!! He is only seen to take the FS group and be overbearing at the meetings. He's the type that when going thru' the day's text asks weird questions that only he knows the answer to just to make himself look better than god. He really is a pious-sneer!

He's such a (insert rude word) that he looks down his nose at everyone and actually does a kind of a goose step to the platform, nose held high. Iswear he holds his nose so high that if it rained he'd drown. (I'm doing a rain dance.)

I read somewhere that if we really calculated the stats of hours to bibble studies to dunking we'd find it takes about 240odd years to make 1 convert................using generous hours per dublisher!

• bigmac
    bigmac

you can easily spot JW's out in field service-----usually in pairs--who else would walk so slowly from one door to the next--& then stand on the doorstep nattering to each other--oblivious to the fact there's no one home.

its just a waste of time--evidence the JW has too much free time available--& really doesnt want to do it anyway.

try earning a living selling door to door----the above behaviour wont get you far.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

For my entire JW career, I was a Low-Hour Publisher.

Some of my peers at Bethel were angered by this, as they had been pressured into pioneering prior to Bethel.

• wobble
    wobble

It is much more "marking Time" than anything else, and it seems to me that a lot less is being done these days,.

I don't get around the country like I used to, but with even just my local perspective, I don't hardly ever see any Dubs out on F.S anymore, they haven't been up my road for ages, for example, and they used to be round every two months.

Hey Punkofnice ! welcome if I haven't already, are you describing my old Coboe ? Arrogant prat that he is. (I doubt it, I come from Kent in the U.K but those types are everywhere)

• cult classic
    cult classic
    Some of my peers at Bethel were angered by this, as they had been pressured into pioneering prior to Bethel.

LWT - You lucky duck! About 7 from my congregation went to Bethel after pioneering about 1-2 years. Only one never pioneered. I remember one bethel bride (about 19) who had just gotten baptized 1 year prior to coming in (never pioneered)... I wonder what's up with her now?

Mr Cult Classic never made his 90 hours and still got accepted. Counting time is one of his biggest issues with WT.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Looking back one of my biggest regrets (outside of not pursuing certain girls ;-) is I wish I would have lied about my time!

That would have made my 'spiritual' life a whole lot easier. Instead of getting up at 6 in the morning to do street work just lie and say you got started at 6.

'brother frosty we did not see you at the gas station/store.'

Oh I got started with some friends at what-ever congregation.'

• Joliette
    Joliette

I hated turning in time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit