Church that changed?

by semelcred 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

It was back in the mid 70's. I don't have documentation, I was young but I have a clear recollection of the conversation PO Dad had with the CO about it. It was seen that the PT was emmulating the WT about a month or two behind. Stuff was of course changed, but the basic material was the same.

• blondie
    blondie

I heard that rumor from my mother back in the 60's; never saw any historical proof though.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

What happened with the WWC of God was something that is so rare that it deserves special notice.

The "heirs" to the "throne" saw what was wrong, saw the evidence, saw that false prophecies and did what they knew to be right:

They admited where they were wrong and fixed the problems.

I recall watching that video with my wife and the shocked we were in on how similar the situation was with the WT, the difference was that the leaders were righteous and ethical as opposed to the GB that just holds on to power, bringing to mind the old adage that "absolute power corrupts absolutely".

• blondie
    blondie

Did they "fix" the problems or did they break off into several groups, some "correcting" HWA and others retaining his teachings? Like the Bible Students.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Apparently it has been charged that the opposite was true in the book :The Four pesidents:

http://www.outofthecocoon.net/PDF/WhichCameFirst_TheWorldwideChurchofGodOrTheWatchtowerBibleandTractSociety.pdf

Here is a link to the date predictions made by PT:

http://www.exitsupportnetwork.com/mike_ep/exam/dates.htm

Apparently he made predictions of events of 1975:

1956 WCG publication, 1975 In Prophecy, Armstrong wrote; "But now you're going to peek into the surprising future, exactly as it will happen! Not what men PLAN - but what GOD SAYS! ... very soon - of this very present generation - of all people you know now - ONLY ONE THIRD of them will be left alive!" He went on to say that this surviving third would be "uprooted from their homes like cattle as slaves to Europe, and probably some to South America," and "Yes, millions of lukewarm, inactive professing Christians will suffer martyrdom - and before the anticipated push-button leisure year of 1975 draws upon us!"

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Did they "fix" the problems or did they break off into several groups, some "correcting" HWA and others retaining his teachings? Like the Bible Students.

Yes they splintered. One prominent leader went off and started a rival church called the Global Church of God who cling to Argstong's teachings. They lable the reformed church as apostate.

Then that group split with 80% reforming the Living Church of God who claim to be the true folowers of Armstrongs teachings.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit