More Partaking at Memorial, Could It Be the Elderly?

by Franklin Massey 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

This is not a conspiracy theory, although the goofy title may suggest otherwise. The memorial partakers keep going up and up each year. There are obvious reasons for this and the WT, feeling the embarassment and threat to the 144,000 doctrine has addressed it in the publications.

But I was thinking back on an odd situation that happened with two older, long time, faithful JWs. I have had two older sisters, on two separate occasions, confide in me that while others find Memorial season to be a wonderful time of the year, they feel torn with the question, "Could I be one of the annointed?" The first time I heard this, I was shocked. The partyline is that if you have to question your status, then you are not annointed. Then later a second sister mentioned it. These were both intelligent, sharp minded women. Their query didn't come from senility. I've looked at other older friends since and wondered how many may have that question. Then I wondered, have any of these ones started partaking? Has anyone seen this happen?

Trying to put myself in their shoes, I imagined being a JW from the very early days of the modern religion. Going through so many changes in teaching and organizational structure, making countless sacrifices for "The Truth," putting off any personal desires for what they were told were God's instructions on how to live. Now, facing their mortality in a system that they never thought they would die in, they may pontificate, "After all this, I was faithful. Perhaps I may be deserving of the heavenly reward."

Or, they read their Bibles for the nth time and notice something they have never seen before. It is speaking to them.

Or, after the promises of "Millions Now Living Will Never Die!" and numerous end-of-days prophecy revisions, they are now just beginning to lose faith in the exactness of JW theology.

Some have no regrets and full confidence in their religion. For those, I am happy that they have peace of mind. However, we have talks on occasion that address the discouraged older population in our congregations. My heart goes out to those discouraged ones, whatever the reason for their troubles. I can't help but wonder how many have become disillusioned or confused about their beliefs.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

If one simply reads the NT, they will want to accept what Christ offers. Life eternal WITH HIM -- in Heaven.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Does anyone plan on going to the memorial this year and partaking?

• journey-on
    journey-on

Most very elderly people have a deep sense of something beyond this physical life (in my personal experience with conversations with them). It seems as death gets closer and begins to whisper little nothin's in their ear, they awaken to something beyond themselves in this physical dimension. Physical life begins to seem like a movie they were in for a few decades, or lessons in a classroom. Their perspective changes and they start "hearing" and "seeing" with different ears and eyes.

For JWs, this period of time becomes very conflicting as they fight off this "knowing" and try desperately to deny it.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

All the "newly annointed" that I ever knew were not elderly when they started partaking, more 30s to mid-life (and all on meds for depression).

• sabastious
    sabastious

My great grand mother actually stopped taking from the emblems when she became senile.

-Sab

• jay88
    jay88

That's a good question. If, I had put all my energy into this religion why not ensure myself of immortality, without judgement.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    when she became senile.

Senility is a whole different can of worms. Very sad.

But, I'm talking about the elderly that still have quick minds. I have known and still know some quite elderly people whose mental capacity is still sharp as a tack. There are some very elderly people on my hubby's side that are very interesting to talk to. His great grandmother passed away at 104 and although virtually blind, her mind and wits were still sharp.

FM, this would be an interesting thing to determine. Are more of the JW old-timers being drawn to the appeal of going to heaven immediately? After all, the way the WTS keeps moving their prophetic dates up, they could lie in their graves for "GENERATIONS" before being resurrected!

• Gayle
    Gayle

As one ages, and certainty of death soon, may seem closer than Armageddon. The appeal would no doubt be greater to re-consider, to "in the twinkling of the eye" to go to everlasting life immediately (as in heaven) versus going into the ground till for 'God-knows' how long?, as the GB sure don't know!

• journey-on
    journey-on

.....and then there's that nasty little period of time at the end of the 1000 years when Satan will be let loose once again to TEST everybody. What if they aren't able to pass that test?! They could still be destroyed forever. Best to embrace oneself NOW as one of the remnant and be guaranteed life eternal. (This is probably how I would begin thinking if I were an elderly JW right about now.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit