What makes people ok with shunning?

by Butterflyleia85 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

It almost seems easy to some... or like a weird funny feeling like they are doing something wrong if they go against something inside of them and actually speak to marked (people they are told to shun) people.

(sorry to be bias in this but only exaggerate circumstances to make my point)

Jehovah's witness for one are known to shun disfellowshipped members.

But also there is:

Popular kids at schools who shun unpopular kids at school.

Rich people who ignore poor people.

Some Whites that are still racest shun black and vs.

Some older proper/religious ones with high moral standards shunn or at least look down one the rebels.

...Seriously does it make life easier for them or something?

What would make them change?

And most importantly when is it right to shun or is it really right at all?

• designs
  • Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

That is what made humans what we are.

The hairless apes were outcasts of the short haired apes who were the outcasts etc

Or was it the other way around?

Who was shunning who?

There is a flock of whjte ducks near me that don't mix with the mallards ..... except for one. He hung out with a mallard for a while and now he is an outcast and lives on the edge of the flock, much like a DF sitting in the back row of the hall

• acolytes
    acolytes

Maybe the parable of the Good Samaritan was a lesson on what makes people ok with shunning. (Fear, status,effort,....ect)

Acolytes

• mamalove
    mamalove

Anyone here who was/is DF, were you ever grateful for the shunning because it forced you to go back to the org and you got your family by default of following the protocol on shunning and reinstatement, etc?

• DJPoetech
    DJPoetech

Shunning = Organizationally Mandated Prejudicial Profiling!

• mrsjones5
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Butterflyleia85 - "What makes people ok with shunning?"

The tendency to shun is an integral component of an authoritarian personality type. I suspect the trait became dominant as some form of adaptation during humanity's process of natural selection, but IMO, it's outliving its usefulness.

In addition, I suspect that the tendency towards authoritarianism is inherent in all of us, and it takes an environment growing up that teaches control of it (and/or acquiring self-knowledge of the trait as an adult) for individuals to, well, evolve past it.

If you're still inclined towards some form of Christianity, maybe try thinking of the trait as the "real" manifestation of "Adamic Sin". After all, authoritarians display the properties most often associated with the opposite of Jesus' teachings, from what I've seen.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I just came across this in the April Fools Day 1979 Watchtower.

• undercover
    undercover

What's the context of the illustration, Black Sheep? I vaguely remember it but don't remember the article or the caption.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit