I just want a "normal" family

by Hangin_on 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Hangin_on
    Hangin_on

I have a mother in law that doesn't like me because I'm not an elder and I don't study enough.... I think worldly people have bigger problems in their marriage! Did you ever just want a "normal" family? I don't have to celebrate Christmas, but I just want people that care about and accept me for who I am! Is this just my experience or do others feel this way?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

There's no such thing as a normal family, I'm afraid.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

What is normal? My husband has a MIL who doesn't like him because he's not a jw and black (can't decide which is crazier, the jw or the black part ).

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good evening Josie..

I can see your Hubby in your avatar..

If he`s not Black..What the Hell colour is he?..

LOL!!..

Your mom is Crazy AND Colour Blind..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

The joke is she wanted me to marry a white man. Joke's on her. And don't get me wrong, I like white men (especially english men *meow!*) but I fell for a black man. Mother was severely disappointed.

• Hangin_on
    Hangin_on

I just feel like a "worldy" family would love me but a witness one hates me!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

LOL!!@Josie!!..OK I get it now..

Anyone who thinks they can pick a mate for their children,is crazy..

If your happy,she should be happy..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

Maybe it seems like "worldly" marriages have more problems because they're not afraid to get divorced or leave if it's really not working. Some Witness marriages I've seen were clearly not happy or even functional, but they were stuck; unless one of them was willing to have an affair to get out of it.

I just feel like a "worldy" family would love me but a witness one hates me!

In my experience, this is true. "Worldly" people don't have a ridiculously high standard to judge you by, they tend to just accept you the way you are. Witnesses on the other hand measure your worthiness as a friend by how "spiritual" they think you are: service, meeting attendance, commenting and studying for meetings, reaching out for more responsibility, etc. But none of those things are a true measure of how good a person you are. It's a shortcut for them and superficial. Your mil sounds really shallow.

P.S. I want a normal family too! But I'm happy with the little one I've made for myself.

• boyzone
    boyzone

Hangin' on

You're not loved precisely because you're not a strong JW. Love is only extended on a very conditional basis and you aren't measuring up in their eyes. It makes no difference if you're a nice guy or not, the Society call the shots on this one.

However many worldly families would love and accept you for being a nice guy which would let you be yourself and blossom into the genuine person you should be.

Its very stressful trying to be who you're not.

• nolongerwaiting
    nolongerwaiting

I thought I had one. lol. Come to find out I don't.

NLW's wife

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit