after 40 years I guess I am being shunned

by Giordano 16 Replies latest jw friends

• mamamo
    mamamo

I just noticed that some people who used to be on Facebook aren't anymore. I guess they might have had something come out saying how bad it is for you?

• Scott77
    Scott77

I do not have a family in JW world. The experiences of many here amazes me so much. Ia m very sorry for everyone who is having this problem.

Scott77

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Scott, you are a lucky man.

• The Finger
    The Finger

jj123jj123

commenting on your quote from the Feb 15 2011 Watchtower

"However, you
    are also showing that you love the wrongdoer
    enough to do what is best for him or
    her"

When my brother was disfellowshipped my mother felt the need to shun him to the point she would not speak to him on the phone. He was very distressed and there was concern for his health.

This was not what was best for him.

My father had to speak with the Elders and try to persaude them to speak with my brother to help with his mental anguish. They were reluctant to do so.

my brother saw how he was treated and although he became reinstated he never attended another meeting. He experienced the "love" of the brothers and he didnt need it.

• Giordano
    Giordano

"I just recently noticed that no one has been talking to me" That's a LOL NewChapter. Aren't they.....precious?

I have this needy cousin (witness) who over the years would call regularly sometimes for advice once for a loan to buy meds for her mother. She stayed in contact for forty years. She'd call because I'd forget to. So this last time I had a note taped to my phone to give her a call first.....show some respect. So after two minutes of fidgety conversation she's got to go. Nothing since. Not a problem for me but who knows what it's done to her head?

The Finger: good for your brother to survive that, get reinstated and not attend the meeting. Shame on those elders......... they are lower case elders.

I think JW's are at a point in their history where many aren't sure what to think about shunning, blood, armageddon etc. When the society flip flops like they do you create a level of confusion where people go overboard in trying to keep themselves 'spiritually pure' to the point of denying themselves fractions or reasonable family conversation with shunned ones. It's a form of self destructive madness.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

newchapter - "Anyway, I was wondering if something had changed very recently."

I theorized in my intro post that GB2.0 might have instituted a new unofficial policy (i.e. unwritten, but just as binding) on inactives and faders; like maybe if they haven't been to a meeting in a year, they're to be regarded as having DAed themselves, or somesuch, unless they make an effort to resume even intermittent contact. no official announcement would be neccessary, maybe just private admonishment to immediate/live-in family of the faders' change in status.

They react to percieved threats; if faders are becoming more and more prevelent, than they could theoretically feel threatened by the fact that fading - like DAing - has become common, rather than rare.

While authoritarian bosses would prefer to have an employee stay rather than leave, if they think an employee will leave, they'd rather fire him than have him quit.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Verging on the macabre in this 21st Century, the Jehovah's Witnesses' draconian practice of disfellowshipping and shunning current and former members is one of the most controversial aspects of this religion and has caused untold psychological and physical harm to thousands. The Watchtower Society mislabels the practice of shunning and disfellowshipping as an act of love and a means of enforcing conformity.

Anyone considering joining the Jehovah's Witnesses is advised to pay close attention to the consequences and repercussions of not living up to the Watchtower Society's standards, or questioning their doctrine. The ultimate price might be unbearable and irreversible. To assist you in making the right decision and help you learn more about this practice, visit the websites listed below for additional information.

http://www.144000.110mb.com/directory/shunning_disfellowshipped_shunning_disfellowshipping.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit