Hear'say

by Duncan 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Duncan
    Duncan

For those who don’t know, Hear’say are a recently-manufactured pop group. They were formed from the successful auditioners to a prime-time UK TV show “Popstars”.

You know the general idea, five thousand hopefuls apply, there are regional auditions, regional finals, the cut to the final hundred, then the final fifty – last ten, then the “best” 5 were chosen to be in the group – 3 girls 2 boys. Very entertaining programme it was, too.

These winners got a recording contract – released a single, which, unsurprisingly in view of all the air-time and exposure, screamed to the top of the UK charts and they looked set for their 15 minutes of fame…

My eight-year old boy was absolutely enthralled by them. Bought the single, then the album, the videos, books, magazines, his entire bedroom is covered in their posters.

He loves ‘em. Late last year we took him to see Hear’say in concert at Wembley Arena. He loved it – didn’t get home til midnight (eight ears old and school early next morning! I blame the parents, meself.)

Anyway, Tragic News this week !!

The members of Hear’say have had some kind of internal falling-out and one of the girls, Kym, is leaving. I daresay the band will survive – probably the whole audition/replacement process will all be further, useful publicity to them.

But for my lad, it’s a disaster. A real challenge to his recently-acquired and heartfelt, (devout, even) devotion to the band.

It’s interesting, I think, how he rationalised away this threat to his new-found faith.

“Kym? She was ALWAYS rubbish! I always hated her. Couldn’t sing, couldn’t dance – shouldn’t have ever been chosen! They’ll be MUCH better-off without her!”

My wife and I, we smile at this. Of course we do, he’s our lad, we love him and he’s only eight years old. In the Great Scheme Of Things his opinions about some transient pop group aren’t really all that significant.

A little insight into human psychology, though – don’t you think?

Where else might you find this kind of absolute, total rejection; this complete writing-off of people who no longer “measure up” to the group-standard?

In an eight-year-old boy, it’s understandable and forgiveable. But in fully grown adults?

All of us here who are DF’d, DA’d or just fallen by the wayside will know what I mean.

Duncan.

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

please stop sending crap music over here

we forgive you for Suede. but enough is enough

• BritBoy
    BritBoy

Hear'say are NOT crap, it's pure and simple ;) In fact I had a dream about Noel (Welsh Gay one) the other night... saw them at Mardi Gras last year!! Loving Hear'say!!

Brit

They wouldn't have made the cane if you weren't meant to break the rules!

• home_and_dry
    home_and_dry

No one in the UK will give two hoots about Hear'say by February 9th when the winner of Pop Idol is revealed!

Give me Gareth Gates over those 'has beens' anyday! LOL ;)

We all make a mess of our lives from time to time
    It's part of the process that you stumble as you climb

• logical
    logical

Hearsay, pop idol, whatever, its all a load of shit.

What happened to real bands and real musicians?

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I agree logical. like the Spice Girls and NSYNC and Eden's Crush?

Slipnslidemaster:"The problem with Ireland is that it’s a country full of genius, but with absolutely no talent."
    - Hugh Leonard

• home_and_dry
    home_and_dry

Logical, I actually agree with you to a degree. The idea sucks. Trying to make popstars out of a TV show. They become famous for being on TV, not for being popstars.

Hear'says recent decline in popularity have proved that the process doesn't work in the long term. I would be surprised if the Pop Idol winner is succesful for more that 12 months.

But, the TV show is entertaining! I am hooked on Pop Idol, not because I can't wait to go out and buy the single and album, but because it's entertaining TV. Once the show ends then so will my interest.

We all make a mess of our lives from time to time
    It's part of the process that you stumble as you climb

• Englishman
    Englishman

Duncan,

Try consoling him with Atomic Kitten. Number 3 son virtually dribbles when they appear on Sky Magic.

Englishman.

Hey! Now you are an outie, you can dance too!

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

hey duncan - can i suggest you buy that nipper of yours some decent music - suggest system of a down's 'toxicity' - in the meantime son, here's the latest on your adopted band :- http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/displayarticle.php?id=4833

• BritBoy
    BritBoy

Home and Dry...

Gareth Gates? OH COME ON!! The only person in the world who be able to sing a Metalica song and make it sound like Westlife!!

VOTE WILLIAM YOUNG! The real talent!!!!!

They wouldn't have made the cane if you weren't meant to break the rules!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit