How can I support your search for the truth about The Truth?

by Lion Cask 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

If you are an active but curious Jehovah's Witness, this question is to you. Comments from others welcome.

I have an image of you in my mind. I see you secluded in your room with the door closed, speakers off or on low so you can hear the footsteps of anyone approaching, and you are quietly venturing into forbidden places. Maybe this is the first time and your heart is beating so hard you're wondering if someone might hear it. Or maybe you've done this so many times it's not a big deal anymore, but you still keep the door closed just in case. Maybe you join in the conversation once in awhile, or maybe you're a lurker who would like to say something but just don't want to take the risk. More likely than not your activity is entirely secret; you are the only one on earth who knows about it and to be found out would be like having all your clothing ripped off in the middle of Times Square or Picadilly Circus, only worse. You still go door to door, attend the Kingdom Hall, assemblies and memorials and for all intents and purposes are a Jehovah's Witness in good standing. But it's a pretty safe bet you suspect there's something wrong within the WTS. You may already be able to articulate it to yourself or you maybe just have this feeling in the pit of your stomach that won't go away. I think there's something wrong, too.

I don't propose to teach you anything. If this is a learning process then I am more a student than a teacher. I've learned some things that I will help to disseminate but I am by no means even fractionally as knowledgeable as are others in here. If I, personally, have potential to influence you it is only by way of how I conduct myself. If you are becoming a seeker, I don't want to be one of the people whose language and attitude causes you to retrench and abandon your search for the truth about The Truth.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Great post ;)

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

Glad you posted this. When I began lurking on this site there were a couple of people who said things and referred to God in what I considered such a disrepectful way that I almost didn't come back. If I were not so immediately emotionally engaged in SweetbabyCheezits JC hearing, I don't think I would have.

It scares off people to hear talk about "Jehoober" "The Washrag" and so on. It's a little like hearing your somewhat estranged mother being made fun of and referred to by vile names. Yeah, you may be mad at her, you may think she has done wrong, you may even be considering limiting contact with her, but you will be defensive at name calling.

It is the same principle as when you friend complains about their spouse. They can say whatever bad things, but you had better not join in!

I realize and respect the right of free speech, and recognize that there are very many here who have been badly hurt by Watchtower policies. I also realize that the sole purpose of this forum is not to help Witnesses come out of the organization, but to have a place to talk freely about your own thoughts. I am only agreeing that for active and unsure Witnesses who come here to test the waters, we can, as a group, sometimes appear only angry and disrespectful.

Hey, it's only my opinion.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I second that, Joliette

• clarity
    clarity

Lion Cask .....your words,

a sight for sore eyes, calm for the soul and a safe place to land.

c

• Curtains
    Curtains

I have gained a wealth of insights through coming here and feel much more confident than I did before. But it took me ages to work up the courage to post.

• wobble
    wobble

Good thread L C !

We really want to be helpful to those who land here, it is not an old boys club by any means, in fact everyone here, (barring a few old faithfuls and some returnees who are so, so appreciated), is fairly new to the site.

I only stay on here to help whoever is searching for truth, wherever it may be found.

(O.K I'll be honest, I am also on here because I love everybody on here, you are all my good friends, and I have a damn good laugh here, as well as learning)

May no one feel too uncomfortable that they do not stay, here, on Good Ol' JWN, is comfort, support, understanding, love and above all :

TRUTH !

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

Thanks for the feedback so far. This is an interesting site, indeed. Much like a community populated by distinct personalities, like in the real world, and the vernacular is just like the real world, too. I spent my whole working life in high production environments and I personally don't have a big problem with hearing rough language or with confrontation, but I am learning to appreciate from being in here that not everyone is as comfortable. I joined this board because I want to learn enough to convince my wife to leave the WTS and I am grateful for how much my understanding of the WTS and how it enslaves thought has improved. My understanding of the makeup of people on this board is also improved.

I've been going back in time and reading some of the oldests posts and it's clear the general tone of conversation was more respectful than it is now, although the conversation now is broadened more beyond just the WTS and that to me is a good thing. I don't think I'd take anything away from this place but I just don't want it to be me who stumbles you while you're still looking at things from the inside out.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I've been going back in time and reading some of the oldests posts and it's clear the general tone of conversation was more respectful than it is now

I have to kinda disagree with that somewhat. I've been here a long time. I've seen major disagreements, flame wars, scam artists, downright mean jw apologists, and trolls that majorly upheaved the board. This all didn't happen recently. Actually what you see now on this board is a lot more respectful than some of the years passed (except some of the politcal threads - those folks get nasty ). Some folks go back and forth because they have been here that long. Even I don't post as much and am not as vocal on the board as I used to be. I just don't feel as much of a need to jump into the fray.

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

I have to kinda disagree with that somewhat.

I can accept that. I've read only a sampling of older posts discussing strictly Watchtower issues so I am not getting a complete picture of how it was in here 10 years ago. Maybe the observation should be that people were more respectful while in certain kinds of threads? Maybe I just need to read more old threads.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit