I just had so much fun!!!

by Lady Lee 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I just got back from a ride along the World's Largest Skateway

A highlight of winter in Ottawa is the Rideau Canal Skateway, the world’s largest skating rink. Skate through the heart of downtown Ottawa on the Rideau Canal, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The Skateway is 7.8 kilometres long, and begins just steps from Canada’s Parliament Buildings. The scenic skating rink extends to Dows Lake, where you’ll find an outdoor art gallery on the ice! In between, warm up at rest areas, where there are toasty fires, hot drinks and tasty snacks.

When the temperature drops this winter, it’s time to celebrate! A cold snap is exactly what’s needed to create the Rideau Canal Skateway. Typically, the Skateway opens in January and, in February, many activities take place on the frozen canal during Winterlude.

It wasn't terribly cold today - only -4C (28F?) so I thought that since I got my new tires on my wheelchair yesterday so figured this was a good time to test them out.

Well I got stuck in some snow before the ramp to get down to ice level. They empty most of the water out of the canal and freeze about 3 feet of it for the ice. So you have to go down stairs or ramps to get to ice level. They also put cabins down on the ice level for info, warming anc changing shacks and food stops along with rest stops with benches so people have plenty of places to get on or off the ice, rest, get warm.

Anyways I got stuck and someone came to push me through the snow. I got down on the ice and went rolling. I stopped along the way I stopped and had a bite to eat and then went off again. Then this little boy comes up on my left and he keeps looking over his shoulder at me. He couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 but he sure could skate. I realized he was racing the wheelchair so we raced.

If I got too close I would slow down and let him get ahead but then would speed up and catch up to him. He would stop and wait for his parents to catch up and then all of a sudden he would roar past me on the right in a big spurt of enregy and the race would be on again with him taking quick looks over his shoulder to spot me. We kept this up for about 3 kilometers Then his family turned to go back to the beginning while I kept going to the end of the skateway.

What a joy this little guy was. He had me laughing out loud as we raced down the skateway.

It's good to enjoy the small things in life.

• hubert
    hubert

What a great time you had!

I enjoyed reading your experience. You should have put some studded tires on that wheelchair. You would have beaten him. Ha, ha. Happy to read your experience, Lady Lee. It was cute.

Hubert

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

What would get me about this little guy was how fast he could go in a sprint. My chair does 6 miles an hour -- yea miles - they are US made. At top speed I go faster than most people walk. But joggers usually pass me. This little guy was passing me with his head looking back at me most of the time. He was so cute. And he was skating. His older sister got ion the act a couple of times but then decided to let him rip up the ice.

One time he saw his dad bend over and put his hands on his knees and just glide. So the little guy does the same thing. They=n he is off on a race again and every now and then he reaches back and puts both hands on the back of his waist as if to say "Oh my aching back"

Kids can be so cute even when they aren't yours

• Joliette
    Joliette

Happy to hear that Lady Lee ;)

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

good for you sounds like a blast

• Gregor
    Gregor

You could have towed him with your scarf and played crack the whip.

• I quit!
    I quit!

That sounds like so much fun. I would love to do that some day. I love the snow and winter sports but don't get much of them down here.

Maybe that kid will be in the NHL one day.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I just looked at the link and that looks so cool!

• Deceived
    Deceived

OH my Lady Lee, you are quite the inspiration. ME I don't go out at all in this weather and I have a scooter. Its so icy and cold and the sidewalks aren't plowed. I haven't been out of the house since before Christmas.

So if you can do it with a wheelchair I certainly can do it with a scooter. ;-) I admire you being able to maneuver your wheelchair. I don't have the strength in my arms to do the wheelchair by myself. I broke my left arm last year and its never been the same since.

I have had MS for the past 3 years and its progressing rapidly and in the last year I can't walk.........so this is still a bit new to me. Its good to hear that life is not over because we are handicapped. I have been feeling pretty down about not getting out as its so cold and snowy. I live about 4 hours straight west of you

Thankyou for sharing your story

• laverite
    laverite

What a wonderful story to wake up to! How fun and how sweet! I just love it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit