Bible revision question. Important?

by hubert 10 Replies latest jw friends

• hubert
    hubert

I have been talking lately with my neighbor about the Watchtower religion, and she said she is very good at going verse to verse with them to disprove their bible. Then she asked me if they have their own Bible? So, I told her yes, they started making one in the 1950's. I told her I have a couple, and if she wants one, I'll give her one, and she said, yes. I told her how they removed the word "Blessed" from everything except Jehovah, and replaced it with "happy". She was appalled!

So, I went home, and found her one that I had a spare of, and just then realized something I never thought of before.

A long time ago, when I confronted my sister-in-law who had joined the witnesses, she told me that "The J.W. bible never changes". I remembered that tonight, when I was looking at the nwt I was giving my neighbor. It was a 1961 "REVISED" edition. (Revised 1961). Now my question....If their bible never changes as my sister-in-law told me, then why do they need to "REVISE" it?

Any thoughts?

Hubert

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

They do CONSTANT revisions on it without telling anyone. One thing that I noticed that they changed with the 2004 (or 2006...can't remember which) printing was that they removed all brackets [ ] that indicate added words. So basically they added to the Bible and took away all indication that they added words to it. Now it looks like those added words are really the words of God. One of the most noticable was in Col 1 where they removed the brackets around the word "other".

• Ding
    Ding

Sometime they have changed their Bible to correspond with "new light."

They have flip-flopped on whether Jesus is to be worshipped.

At one point they called it "relative worship."

At another point they published an article entitled "Relative Worship Forbidden."

Accordingly, I believe they also changed "worship" to "do obeisance" in reference to Jesus in Hebrews 1:6 when someone pointed out to them that Jesus said in Matthew 4:10 that only Jehovah is supposed to be worshipped.

I may be wrong, but I believe the 1950 NWT said "worship".

The NWT also used to put brackets around "other" in Colossians 1:16-17.

They felt they had to say that Jesus created all "OTHER" things because that was the only way to make Jesus a created thing.

Trinitarians were claiming that Jesus must be God if indeed he created all things.

The WTS neglected to change John 1:3 to match, however.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I'd say that such actions are misleading. A bracket doesn't disrupt reading. I didn't realize NWT came in 1950. We used a Protestant bible at home. It had gilt pages. Now I'm wondering why they weren't using NWT. I remember the1961 Yankee Stadium convention. We used that one. I was so young so maybe I just don't recall correctly.

I thought 1961 was the unveiling. People were so excited. Whenever we were in Yankee Stadium, the Witnesses had more allure for me. My mom said there was a family rule not to make commitments until three months after a convention. She said zeal passes. The coolest Yankee Stadium was when all these international Witnesses came in the costumes of their native country. We met so many European witnesses. It took a long time but my employer took us to Yankee Stadium to watch a game as a socialization event. So I am finally in Yankee Stadium for a baseball game. Reggie Jackson played. We lost. I was very annoyed with the Yankees.

I was mind trippping from being in that stadium before I can remember. My photo was in the newspaper. I must have a year and a half. It was so familiar but it was finally real. Yankees and not Freddie Franz or Nathan Knorr. I felt like doing carthweels. A senior partner who was an avid Yankees fan stood on his chair and screamed his heart out about a certain play. It was embarassing with all these other law firms there. The color was not lost on me. I love the Yankees with my all b/c they are home. I don't like baseball, though. We left early once it was clear which way the game was going. Part of me can't believe that I was really there for a normal purpose. Go Yankees!

• TD
    TD

I'm not a big fan of the NWT, but you might just as well ask that question about the New Jerusalem Bible or the New American Standard Version or the most current revision of the NIV.

• hubert
    hubert

TD, the point is, my sister-in-law lied when she told me the "J.W. bible never changes". That's my point. So, if it never changes, then it doesn't need to be "revised", right, or am I missing something here? Can I use this as proof she is lying? Am I reading this right?

Hubert

• TD
    TD

I don't know if she's lying, but she's definitely wrong.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

There had been revisions to agree with their agenda, dr walter matin's book kingdom of the cults points out a classic which was current back in his days, I'll see if I can find it.

My parents said all bibles say the same thing, I shown'd then in KJV bible "God was manifested in the flesh" to prove their point wrong.

Lets not forget John 1.1 In the beggining was the word... and the word was a god.

So in the beggining was a god before THE God LOL

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I have been talking lately with my neighbor about the Watchtower religion, and she said she is very good at going verse to verse with them to disprove their bible.

I love how people are so sure of their ability to "disprove" or "prove." Hell, we can't even agree here and we all know that WT's New World Translation is slanted to agree with their doctrines. We certainly know that you cannot show the average JW (or most above-average JW's) anything in the Bible to show them the flaws in their Bible or doctrine. People here have shown JW's that the great crowd is in heaven, then they say we misunderstand despite the BIble saying it.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Whether you believe in the Bible or not...we can all agree that they changed the NWT to fit to their theology.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit