A Concerned Elder Speaks

by Franklin Massey 110 Replies latest jw friends

• anewme
    anewme

I think this is great! A real ultimatim for the elders with children! Hopefully this ridiculously tight control over their lives and their financial futures will send many over the edge and their limit! They will emerge from the fight with their own 'NEW LIGHT' about the WTS!

One of the absolutely beautiful things about being out of the WTS is learning to use my own God-given conscience.

I do not have to believe anything other people tell me to believe but what my own mind and heart tell me is believable and true.

I make up my mind about everything.

All these people trapped in the WTS need to realize they are needlessly handicapping their lives in that organization.

They can love God and their neighbor, read the Bible, preach the end of the world if they desire, go to college, buy a house, move to Hawaii, write their own copy of the Bible, become a doctor, whatever. Nothing in the Bible says you cant be free at this time.

They are not getting paid! They are constantly being threatened! They must teach whatever is the prevailing Bible understanding even if it contradicts an earlier teaching or their own conscience!

Why do these men want to be elders anyway? Just step down and send your kids to college! Big deal!

What, are they making promises to these men beyond the scriptures? Are they promising them houses and positions in the New World?

Bologna on bologna!

A father doesnt have to be an elder for his family to get into the paradise last time I heard.

Anewme

• stapler99
    stapler99

If elders became aware of issues like the constant generation changes, 586 BC, flip-flopping on subjects like the identity of the "superior authorities" and the resurrection of those who died at Sodom and Gomorrah, failed predictions like 1925, and the general lack of Biblical basis for central JW doctrines like that concerning the identity of the Gread Crowd, when they come to ask themselves whether they should encourage their children to gain higher education, they may have sufficient doubt in the legitimacy of the Watchtower organization that they decide that following their direction in this regard is not worth it.

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

Pirata, At the Kingdom Ministry School I attended they said the Elders qualifications would be reviewed.They gave a list of requirements, that if met, would not mean ineligibility for an Elder (ie. person going has spiritual goals, attends meetings, regular in ministry, etc).

I acknowledged that with this statement right before your post: One thing that should be mentioned in all fairness is that an elder will not be immediately deleted for sending his kid to school. It will vary by locality but all that is promised as of now is a review of qualifications. If the review goes well and the brother is decided to be in good standing he will remain in his position. Perhaps your school was bit less intense than ours.

Also, some go to higher education to prove the Governing Body wrong...that must have been in the outline because that was said at my school too. Then followed by "Don't think that you can find away around the Society's direction." As if to say, "We know some of you will look for loopholes and excuses."

Finger, I'm not sure of your motives but I'll dignify your post with one response to this: Either you believe the end is near or you dont and if you dont then you do not support the view of the GB.The proximity of the end is relative. It's always nearer than the day before, isn't it? One cannot forgo taking care of their family's needs as is instructed in the scriptures: "If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever." - 1 Tim 5:8. In addition, a Christian does not ultimately answer to any group of men, however powerful they claim to be. A Christian answers to a higher power and is willing to choose their course based on that relationship. So if a group of self-appointed men believe the end is near, that's their business. If they try to force you to show that you believe the end is near by doing whatever they tell you, they've crossed the line.

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

Mis, you clever son-of-a... I picked 1969 as the year to consider for a reason. As I wouldn't have believed it until someone showed it to me, but that was the year the GB printed articles stating that young people in school would never get old.

• anewme
    anewme

Yes, Franklin, the WTS has definitely "crossed the line" on many matters for many years.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Pew Survey:

How do they rank with other religions? They don't. They are in total the least educated religion in this country.

http://religions.pewforum.org/comparisons#

Educational Distribution of Religious Traditions

U.S. Religious TraditionsLess than high schoolHigh school graduateSome collegeCollege graduatePost-graduateSample Size
    National Total:14%36%23%16%11%35298
    Evangelical Churches16%40%24%13%7%9411
    Mainline Churches9%34%24%20%14%7429
    Historically Black Churches19%40%25%11%5%1985
    Catholics17%36%21%16%10%7990
    Mormons9%30%32%18%10%578
    Orthodox6%26%22%28%18%362
    Jehovah's Witnesses19%51%22%6%3%211
    Other Christians12%22%27%20%20%129
    Jews3%19%19%24%35%676
    Muslims21%32%23%14%10%1031
    Buddhists3%23%26%22%26%408
    Hindus4%12%10%26%48%253
    Other Faiths7%25%28%18%21%448
    Unaffiliated13%34%24%16%13%5009
  • thetrueone
    thetrueone

The WTS has always demeaned higher education because it interferes with their specific agenda of making people into peddlers

of their published goods. They superimpose tactics of fear similar to the ones stated already, such as WHATS THE PURPOSE OF PURSUING AN

EDUCATION WHEN THIS SYSTEM OF THINGS IS COMING TO ITS END. The leaders of this organization have always known who and what is

paying for their keep, including their air fares to travel around the world, the cars they drive, the medical and dental care they consume.

Place all of that with the perceivably of gaining power and control over a broader segment of the population and its easily to see why they

would take this stance on higher education.

And there in lines the reason why people who pursue higher education are perceived as being spiritually weak and not being faithful to their cause

of action, which the WTS publishing corporation self designed. To that end it easy to see that the WTS is quite apathetic and unconcerning to the well

being of individuals and to the greater extent humanity as well. This religion is observantly corrupt and progresses on deceptions and disingenuous

public appeal.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

"The end is soon!" - Since 1914 -

Plan accordingly. Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, Inc.
  • truthlover
    truthlover

Am I reading the stats above wrong??

It shows that out of a small 211 sample - 51% got their high school vs a grand total of 36 % and 22% had some college vs a grand totalof 23% - the numbers for JW's drop when looking at the post grad college vs grand total

The 51% category was the highest out of all the sampling and I know where I live it is mandatory that to get a job, people have to have grade 12 and in the truth here, at least, they say some community education i.e. tech, nursing entrance, etc.. so its just not the plumbers and cleaners we are looking at around here.. and if they are, believe me, they have the best in the material world - most have new cars,trucks,vans, etc.. a lot of elders are self emp in other services and make money at it...elders in the congr.--- 1 engineer, 1 heavy equip operator, 1 manager, ms - 1 heavy equip -- all requiring more education than normal, yes pioneering is encouraged, with continued college education discouraged.. and with the new instruction, things may change, time will tell - but it's not all gloom -- I do know my BIL and friends years ago were upset they did not get a better education - but then they just did not get the educ.. they quit at grade 11 and did not go pioneering or anything else spiritually speaking --

If the society pushes this thought on the elders - they will lose them -- and then what -- as it is the birth rate in the US is dropping greatly, so is productivity and salaries -- this equates to a lack of converts and contributions to support the building work in Walkill and Paterson

I think they are painting themselves into a corner...

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Those serving who have any real character and deep concern for their family will NOT put their family's future ahead of their position as elder/MS. If the GB doesn't appreciate what they are sacrificing to serve, so be it. (Jah does: Heb 6:10) Don't sacrifice your family's future (their future in this system could be longer than you think) for the glory of having a title.

For those whose family members have already completed their advanced education and have already prospered as a result, will they hypocritically deny that others seek that same advantage? (Sadly some will.) Hopefully most of these educated ones will understand the real issue here and be more tolerant. If a CO comes though and takes the hardline, hopefully most of these bros will have some integrity and take a stand for what is right, even at risk of their title.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit