A Beloved and Compassionate Elder Trapped in a Cult Just Died , What should I do?

by TastingFreedom 41 Replies latest jw friends

• agonus
    agonus

I too recently attended a beloved JW elder friend's funeral. The brother giving the talk had a voice that sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite place it until he got to the recruitment part. When he reminded the audience "We do not HAVE a soul, we ARE a soul", I instantly identified the dulcet tones... the guy sounded just like Hugo Weaving, a.k.a. Agent Smith from The Matrix. How appropriate.

"We do not HAVE a soul..." Well, if he was speaking for The Watchtower Organization as a collective, then yes, I would have to agree. They don't.

It made me think of the scene in Schindler's List where the Gestapo car was driving down the makeshift road paved with headstones of dead Jews (think about that analogy for a moment)...

Even in death, they just won't leave these poor people alone.

• flipper
    flipper

TASTING FREEDOM- If the service or Memorial is being given at a kingdom hall- I doubt very seriously the elders would " kick you out ". Kingdom halls are public buildings- open to the public - including DFed witnesses. When I was DFed for 4 years before getting reinstated in 2002 - I attended a Kingdom hall Book study, but was not allowed into JW's homes for a book study. If they refused you entry- I'd report it to the local news media or newspapers and raise a damned ruckus. You have a human right to mourn your friend, JW or not

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

If the memorial service is at the KH, that is a public building and you should be welcome to attend. Since you speak of being shunned, I assume you are already DF or DA. If you are just fading, I would question the wisdom of going into the Hall.

Send a floral piece to the home of the widow. That will make a wonderful statement.

• TastingFreedom
    TastingFreedom

flipper and DesirousOfChange :Good point, they should have no problems with me, as long as I come maybe a little late and sit in the back. Although the kingdom hall is going to be packed. Because he was a very well known guy all over the place.

We were DF'ed a year a little less than a year ago, so they are definitely going to shun us and it's still very fresh in their minds. The rumors is we are full blown apostates!

Was thinking of going with my family, but they will probably talk to our kids and not us, if we go too early. Hmmm. This is going to be stressful. We dont want to be too late so there are still enough seats for everybody. Hmmm.. logistics are going to be hard.

I like the idea of some flowers!

Thanks for the nice advise.

• agonus
    agonus

Blonde apostate? That sounds like the punchline to a bad joke.

Say, what do you call a gal who goes door to door ASKING people what the truth is?

• man in black
    man in black

I am Da'ed and just recently attended the funeral of an old-time witness that I knew for years. I was really worried about what would happen, but the thoughts were way worse than the reality.

My suggestion is to send flowers, or donate to a charity in his name, and attend the memorial.

(Your presence will make a big statement to all of the jw's about the real condition of your heart, and mind)

relax, things will work out fine

• laverite
    laverite

This is a tough situation. And so sad. Do what your heart tells you to do. But you do know that it's almost mostly just a recruitment talk. Also, you could be not only rejected, but blamed. If you're prepared for that, and really want to go, then go. But if you can find a way to do something privately to honor this elder, you may wish to do that instead. Follow your heart but keep your eyes and ears open.

I'm very sorry you are having to deal with this.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Go to his funeral.

If possible, take a workmate who knows nothing about JWs, so that if anyone wants to behave like a complete prat ......... they have an audience.

My condolences go to his family and friends.

May he rest in peace.

Chris

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Sorry for your loss. My advice = Follow your heart.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

The memorial is a propaganda sales meeting, you know that. Send a card to the widow and when you find out where he's buried bring him flowers and amoment of silence. This is what he would have appreciated I'm sure. At least a card and a moment of silence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit