The futility keeps getting brighter and brighter

by munchausen 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• agonus
    agonus

Quendi: How can you not take an American POV on the WT? It's an unmistakably American religion HQ'ed in America run by (mostly) Americans with American sensibilities.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Agonus,

is there any way we can throw some of this off to the Canadians

as an American, it shames me to know that this religion originated here

Sorry Outlaw, Lady Lee, and Granny but misery loves company

• agonus
    agonus

Would that I could, but the Canucks just have too damned much sense.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

When they first went by I yelled "There's the jehovah's witnesses again!". My window was open and I know they heard me. About 5 minutes later they walked by again and I yelled again. My youngest son ran to the window and also said something while laughing.

WTG Mrs Jones. Act like a teenager laughing at the retarded kid. Very classy.

• porfiada
    porfiada

Hey since the best growth seems to be in Latin America and Africa, wouldn't it be great if we could make some section of posts in their languages, if anyone is capable? I put up my hand for Spanish. I can translate a very straightforward post that you guys as a group recommend, to help people who are interested in studying with WTS or wanting to leave can get hitched here into open and honest discussion. What would you recommend?? I don't know where to start!

Hasta la vista!!

Porfiada (naughty/stubborn, in Spanish)

• ziddina
    ziddina

Ah, Porfiada, you might want to check out a poster on YouTube named "Lavasori"... I can't speak or read Spanish - unfortunately - but I've subscribed to his channel anyway because he posts some incisive pieces that are occasionally quoted from English-language books and then translated into Spanish...

• dgp
    dgp

I would like to quote Quendi, Agonus and Porfiada:

Quendi:

Thetrueone points to the Internet as a reason for the decline in Bible studies and baptisms. That has had a tremendous impact. But the greatest growth that Jehovah's Witnesses are seeing is in lands where the Internet does not have much saturation. It would be a big mistake to think that the WTS is in serious decline worldwide. That may be true in industrialized countries where access to the Internet isn't difficult and digital devices like computers and cellphones are easily accessible. That is not the case in many other countries, and I expect to see the WTS continue to post good gains there.

Agonus:

Quendi: How can you not take an American POV on the WT? It's an unmistakably American religion HQ'ed in America run by (mostly) Americans with American sensibilities.

In my humble experience, you two are right. The WT is unmistakably American and, I may add, even white. All you'd need to point out is that, while Mexico has many witnesses, and is still growing at 4%, no Mexican (or speaker of Spanish, for that matter) has ever sat in the Governing Body. And we know that it is highly unlikely that any will ever do. And then, what is the language for communication among WT branch offices? You just need to read Crisis of Conscience and see that the language is English. And that is also the language of the original documents, and that of the founder. And the WT could have never got started in a country other than the US. That is why it started there.

YET, the growth is happening outside of the US. We can be sure that a severe decline in the numbers of white American members will severely affect the Watcthower worldwide, but we can't expect the organization to disappear just because of it. Even in the United States, the growth seems to be happening in Spanish-speaking congregations and nowhere else. If you want to have impact on the Watchtower worldwide, the focus of attention is no longer the US or (basically English-speaking) developed countries, where they aren't growing anymore.

Quendi again:

Instead of hoping for the collapse of the WTS, let us instead rejoice in our own escape, and help as many people as we can get out. Many of us bear ill will toward the WTS and for good reasons. But we musn't let that turn us bitter. Let us remember our Lord's command to love our enemies and pray for those who have done evil to us. Perhaps they will come to their senses and leave of their own accord. As for us, we can do more good by assisting those Jehovah's Witnesses who want to do what is right.
    Like you, I believe the right thing for any JW to do is to leave. But this is something they have to want to do, and not feel pressured into doing. That is what I meant by my last sentence, although I may not have worded it too well.
    If we know someone who wants to leave, then by all means we should give them as much love and support as possible. I believe that means standing by them especially if they are neglected, abandoned, or shunned. As we know, many JWs know very few people outside the organization, and have not developed close relationships and friendships with outsiders. I think we can affirm their decision to leave if we give them that vital emotional support of our friendship until they are ready to do so on their own.

So true. I may add that, as the origin of it all, witnesses who speak English are better organized and have more resources at hand than those elsewhere in the world. I think they should also help informing others who might want to join, so they join only if they truly want it after having all the cards on the table.

And this is why I like this, by Porfiada:

Hey since the best growth seems to be in Latin America and Africa, wouldn't it be great if we could make some section of posts in their languages, if anyone is capable? I put up my hand for Spanish. I can translate a very straightforward post that you guys as a group recommend, to help people who are interested in studying with WTS or wanting to leave can get hitched here into open and honest discussion. What would you recommend?? I don't know where to start!

I agree. There should be a way to post stuff in other languages.

Porfiada, you can already do that in Freeminds (www.freeminds.org). And, if anyone wishes to post something or have something translated, within my modest means I will do as you are offering. Spanish or Portuguese into English, and sometimes the other way, too. But we should abide by what the webmasters think is best for the site.

¡Saludos!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit