Holy Spirit - Electrical-like force? Or a person?

by brotherdan 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ding
    Ding

At least Ed reached the point where he thought for himself instead of simply believing WT dogma.

Unfortunately, the WTS doesn't tolerate such independence.

• james_woods
    james_woods

What BrotherDan said is right - Ed died suddenly right in the midst of this thinking.

For what it is worth, he never presented any of this as worthy of belief - it was just theoretical theology to him.

He had definately come to the conclusion that JW theology had diminished the role of the Christ in favor of their "Jehovah".

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

it doesnt make sense uh? the mysteries of the Bible. Dont you wonder why God made is so difficult to understand him? What about the people who didnt have access to information or research? the have to go with whateever is the official version in their churches.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    Dont you wonder why God made is so difficult to understand him?

He didn't. The Holy Spirit teaches us all things. The most simple person in a 3rd world country can understand God enough to worship Him well. It is the ones that think they are something that are nothing. The only reason people don't understand God is because they have their own agendas and promote teachings that are not biblical (i.e. the Watchtower).

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

But if you understand him so well then why do you ask about the holy spirit? does it mean you have your own agenda? wouldnt it be better if you consulted those people in 3rd world countries who do understand him, rather than here were we dont understand him?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

IN the past, things of this nature were left to the likes of Agustine, Aquinas and others, theologians and philosophers, historians and such.

Nowadays with the internet, everyone is "professor of antiquities", a theologian of the NT, a scholarr of the OT, a Scholar of Judaic Law, etc, etc.

Fact is, 99% of us have no fucking idea what we are talking about !!

Look, its great to discuss and debate these things but in all honesty, it takes a lot more than google to understand the deeper philosophical questions of the bible, but we don't have to, no one has to.

We do it because we want to and enjoy it.

God never made His Word complicated, we did, it's in our nature, we tend to think we are smart and rational, right before we drink a few beers, do a few lines of coke and go ride our Harley with no helmet while shooting mail boxes with our 9MM !!!

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    But if you understand him so well then why do you ask about the holy spirit?

I wasn't asking about it. I was saying that it is very clear in the Bible that the Holy Spirit is a person not a force. I think that most people would naturally come to that conclusion.

You speak as if God is so hard to understand. He IS complex. But to know Him is very simple. We will never know all the complexities of God. But we can know Him. Just imagine yourself. There is alot to you and alot to your motivations for doing things that may not be obvious at first glance. So a person that really wanted to know you inside and out would need to spend time getting to know you. But that person could have a relationship with you without having to know every detail about your complexities. Make sense?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    we tend to think we are smart and rational, right before we drink a few beers, do a few lines of coke and go ride our Harley with no helmet while shooting mail boxes with our 9MM !!!

My vote for quote of the day! Nice!

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

So were those theologians and philosphers any better than you and me? did they have access to as much information as you and me? what did they based their reasonings in? Are you impliying that if they lived in our times they wouldnt use the internet, drink a few beers and do a few lines, and ride some harleys?

our position is better than theirs. We just dont have access to some of the info they did but we have access to way more information in one month than they ever had in their whole life. What makes it complicated is exactly that. that we can reason and compare and debate and at the end it just doenst make sense.

The less contracting arguments the less you have to match up. if there is only one official version then there is no argument.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    So were those theologians and philosphers any better than you and me? did they have access to as much information as you and me? what did they based their reasonings in? Are you impliying that if they lived in our times they wouldnt use the internet, drink a few beers and do a few lines, and ride some harleys?

You are under the impression that these debates are new, they aren't and neither are the issues and answers.

And I hope they would ride a harley !

our position is better than theirs. We just dont have access to some of the info they did but we have access to way more information in one month than they ever had in their whole life. What makes it complicated is exactly that. that we can reason and compare and debate and at the end it just doenst make sense.

We have access to more of the SAME info and if we good back far enough, more often then not, the sources of the info is the same.

You think the issues that Bart Ehrman wrote about about are new? ( as an example).

They aren't they been hashed and rehased and discussued and rediscussed, the thing is, many times we find soem new revelation ( for us) and think that it is unique and awesome and special, why?

Because we are so swept up in it that we don't bother to research enought to see that it isn't the new or exciting and that it has been addressed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit