Is there any real difference...

by undercover 30 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover
    exercising their 1st Amendment rights...

That's the one thing I can't argue with. The right to protest is granted by law, and I'll support their right to do so.

But just because you have the right to do something doesn't always mean it's the best thing for you...or the group you're representing. There becomes a point when the course become self-dectructive and destructive to the very cause that you support.

That's not to say all protests are counter-productive. Some can be, some are. But, again, there comes a point when protesting could become a sole reason to exist.

And we're talking about protesting a religion (cult though it may be). They also have Constitutional rights. The organization itself and it's members. While I may engage an individual JW into trying to open their mind about their beliefs, I personally give the JW religion the same respect I give all other relgions. They have the right to worship as they see fit. To me, they're all wrong, they're all a waste of time but I'm not going to waste my time standing on a street corner trying to convince others of it. They have freedom of religion, I'll let them exercise that as they see fit.

And there's the argument that protestors and publicity seekers hurt the efforts of others who are using more tried and true methods to help their families think for themselves. If the majority of outsiders see protestors as fringe nutcases and the majority of JWs see protestors as evil apostates, who really is benefiting? The protester feels better about him/herself? Okay, there's that benefit. But if it's their way of feeling better about themselves and JWs use their presentations as a way to feel better about being in God's blessing, then again the question has to be asked:

Is there any real difference between the two?

It's a philosphical point worth thinking about. I appreciate everyone's comments so far.

• wobble
    wobble

As a young lad of about 6 or 7 my father made me walk down the main street of our town wearing "sandwich" boards advertising the circuit assembly. I handed out invites to the unwary public. I never feared public humiliation after that baptism of fire, which is probably why I became a manic street preacher in later life.

In those distant days, mid 1950's, that may have worked a bit. Now is doubtful.

Having said that, a simple positive message on a billboard, such as suggested by BOHM above, may well work on some, I think that is worth a go, but Fearon type protests are counter productive,they never made me think, or anyone that I knew.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Outlaw points out the reaction of most secular people I have ever spoken to about my JW experience. It is like an instant sleeping pill.

JWs themselves are the people who should be enlightened, however, that can have the effect of strengthening their persecution fantasies. They have an "us vs them" mentality already. I would go so far as to say that a JW who is starting to have doubts could actually be pushed back into the borg. by being exposed to "apostate" methods.

Does anyone believe that Mr. Hazzard ever 'helped' anyone break free?

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Agree Undercover you made the point well and as well as many comments on here.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Is there any real difference between the two?

Is there any difference between an official Catholic Church protest over abortion and a protest of victims of sexual abuse by Catholic priests? To me, there is a huge difference.

I personally give the JW religion the same respect I give all other relgions.

This is where you and I have a huge difference of opinion. WT was my spiritual rapist. I have zero respect for WT. They have the legal right to operate, but I don't respect them. All religions and cultures are not all equal. WT is pond scum. They allow children to die, by refusing to give them lifesaving medical treatment, they promote mandatory shunning of family, they turn a blind eye towards violence against children, they do a legal minimum to protect innocent children from sexual abuse, they print lies and take them door-to-door, they view women as inferior, they praise anti-intellectualism and the list goes on and on. The psychological damage done to young people in this cult is too much to detail.

WT is anti-Liberty and these protestors are actively exercising their Liberty. There is a huge difference, to me.

The effectiveness of the protests is a different conversation, IMHO. These protests have a better chance of stopping new recruits than extracting anyone. Those who are happy inside WT are going to stay inside.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Having said that, a simple positive message on a billboard, such as suggested by BOHM above, may well work on some, I think that is worth a go, but Fearon type protests are counter productive,they never made me think, or anyone that I knew.

That's interesting, and I agree. Give an example, I work in the downtown section of a major city, and occasionally there's two fellas standing on a busy corner, yelling at the top of their lungs about abortion being a sin. With the exception of irritating passerbys, they've accomplished absolutely nothing to aid their cause. One might make the argument that they're aiding the cause of the pro-choice crowd. The reason being, these two fellows have permanently stamped a negative image of pro-life supporters in both myself and other's heads. A couple summers ago, during my lunch I was breezing through town, enjoying the weather and the sights, trying to make up my mind what to get for lunch. Then this truck comes by, and on its side are pictures of aborted fetuses. It made my stomach turn, and really aggitated me. The aborition issue isn't really something on my radar, being that I'm a single male, with no kids, and not looking to have kids at this time either. Not to be crass, but when it comes to abortion, I really don't care. I'm sure plenty feel the way i feel. Taking that into consideration, if the pro-life crowd is advertising and protesting to gain the support of myself and others, they've failed, miserably.

Considering all of that, I see where UC is coming from on this thread when it comes to the ways ex-JWs go about protesting and expressing themselves. They're really not all that effective when it comes to winning hearts and minds. As Outlaw mentioned, nobody gives a rat's behind about the WT or JWs, with the exception of active JWs, and ex-JWs with an axe to grind. Considering the cult mentality's defense mechanism when confronted with blatant outright threats to their belief system, it probably would be more conducive to season their protests with salt.

• snowbird
    snowbird

No real difference, just people letting others know how they feel about certain things.

I carried protest signs during the Civil Rights Era, made me feel a whole lot better.

Syl

• undercover
    undercover
    I personally give the JW religion the same respect I give all other relgions.

This is where you and I have a huge difference of opinion.

Ah, but I didn't say what level of respect... I respect their right as granted by the Constitution. I hold them all equally reprehensible as far as their influence on the population.

We were affected by the WTS/JWs, true. Some worse than others. Some have a harder time coping, coming to grips. I understand that. I still deal with the aftereffects. I don't belittle anyone's experiences or trials and tribulations of being trapped in this for so long.

But the longer I'm out, the more I realize that I personally need to be constant in my opinion of all religions/faiths. You say the the WTS is anti-liberty. I think that pretty much all religions are anti-liberty. The WTS is just worse than some others. Hating one over the other is not productive...for me. And I admit, I have good days and I have bad days. There will be days that I wll blast the WTS leadership for something that set me off that day. But I'm trying, Ringo, I'm trying real hard to not be bitter anymore.

That's why I like to start a thread like this once in a while. I get to say what I'm thinking, even when I know some won't agree and yet at the same time I get to read other people's opinions and thoughts. It gives me something to think about. There are some people's thoughts that I really respect and try to understand. Even the person that I totally disagree with will have a point that I can mull over and consider. It helps shape my opinons and increase my knowledge base.

You're one of those people LWT, that I respect and pay close attention to what you say. If I'm ever back in your home state, we're gonna go get a beer together...

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    You're one of those people LWT, that I respect and pay close attention to what you say. If I'm ever back in your home state, we're gonna go get a beer together...

Thank you for your kind words. I'm looking forward to that beer. Let's make it happen, one day.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I like wine ...

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit