Have you ever liked ANY good non religious articles in WT or AW?

by Iamallcool 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

The Awake! wasn't always entirely bad. I liked some of the stories on other cultures. It was a huge letdown to reach my teenage years and realize 90% of what I'd read in them was BS, but still, it probably helped me develop my interest in anthropology.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I never liked the Watchtower. I did like the Awake mags. I would read the article until it reached a certain point where the article would start talking about JW teachings. The articles would be going along fine, be very informative and entertaining and then as soon as they'd introduce that first scripture, flatline. Just pushing the JW agenda on whatever the subject was.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I despised every edition of the Watchtower. When I was in elementary school in an economically deprived area, I was quite a voracious reader. I still am. Sometimes Awake was ok. It gave me an edge over my classmates who exposed to nothing. My parents adored National Geographic. We owned only a few books. Awake was ok but I would have read a toothpaste tube as Oscar and Felix did on retreat. I stopped reading Awake by 6th or 7th grade unless we visited my Witness aunt and uncle. They were so important to me and I love them deeply. The only non-JW material they had was my uncle's photography magazines with instructions on nude photog. My aunt could not read Woman's Day or McCall. As the adults engaged in Witness gossip, I would glance at Awake.

The illustrations we were exposed to as young, impressionable children is the subject of much humor between my brother and myself. We are laughing so we don't cry. I feel it is a form of child abuse. Violence and sex seem to go together. I bet those photos are not there to educate but to terrify into submission. The whole genre is something to observe and walk away from quickly.

Oh, I grew up with Jesus emphatically not having a beard. Every male but Jesus had a beard. It must been hard obtaining shaving supplies in the wilderness. As an adult, the chalice visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It was surrounded by chalices from the same time period with Jesus with beards. Now, I looked in my laundromat and Jesus grew a beard. If they did not hammer so vociferously sans beard, who would care? They never learn, do they? They always paint themselves into a corner.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I despised every edition of the Watchtower. When I was in elementary school in an economically deprived area, I was quite a voracious reader. I still am. Sometimes Awake was ok. It gave me an edge over my classmates who exposed to nothing. My parents adored National Geographic. We owned only a few books. Awake was ok but I would have read a toothpaste tube as Oscar and Felix did on retreat. I stopped reading Awake by 6th or 7th grade unless we visited my Witness aunt and uncle. They were so important to me and I love them deeply. The only non-JW material they had was my uncle's photography magazines with instructions on nude photog. My aunt could not read Woman's Day or McCall. As the adults engaged in Witness gossip, I would glance at Awake.

The illustrations we were exposed to as young, impressionable children is the subject of much humor between my brother and myself. We are laughing so we don't cry. I feel it is a form of child abuse. Violence and sex seem to go together. I bet those photos are not there to educate but to terrify into submission. The whole genre is something to observe and walk away from quickly.

Oh, I grew up with Jesus emphatically not having a beard. Every male but Jesus had a beard. It must been hard obtaining shaving supplies in the wilderness. As an adult, the chalice visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It was surrounded by chalices from the same time period with Jesus with beards. Now, I looked in my laundromat and Jesus grew a beard. If they did not hammer so vociferously sans beard, who would care? They never learn, do they? They always paint themselves into a corner.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The Awake is a reasonable read if you want to pass the time. There are often interesting articles about the natural world and things..Nothing too deep or Earth shattering but enjoyable..

Odd articles? The one about the Aussie song "Waltzing Matilda"...that was back in the 90's

• factfinder
    factfinder

I remember when the Awake! had some articles about the changeover from letterpress to offset printing. I enjoyed these. ( I took vocational printing in H.S.) They also had articles about phototypesetting and how 4-color printing is done. These were back in the late 70's to 80's. I enjoyed the articles in the 80's about the different branch offices and the printing done there. And there were articles in the w about the expansion in Brooklyn and in Awake! (g) about the new presses at wallkill. In that article it said the printery had over 819,000 sq ft of floor space- a gross mistake! The tour brochure said it had nearly 400,000 sq ft. So I wrote to the society about it. They told me it was actually 403,125 sq.ft. ( More recently there were mistakes in the KM and the w about the size of the new printery addition and the total sq ft of the printery. I wrote to the society about this but recieved no reply.)

At some point in the late 80's someone on the gb must have decided to no longer publish this info about the printing operations and branch offices anymore. It's a shame. The switchover to perfectbound softcover books and computer to plate printing were major changes and should have had articles on them in the magazines.

Plus there was a large increase in book production in the other branches. There should have been articles on this too!

• White Dove
    White Dove

I found the WT didn't have much of interest to me. I liked the stories in A!, though. In both, I hated the preaching slant of it all.

• blondie
    blondie

Any "non-religious" articles will have a religious hook at the end.

Their articles are dumbed down from more interesting articles in non-WTS sources. Don't waste your time. Time and Newsweek are better sources.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit