Looking for online tv/movie streaming like netflix, etc.

by mamalove 20 Replies latest social entertainment

• mamalove
    mamalove

I have a wireless router sitting 4 feet from the PS3, Mama is on a mission tonight! Thanks folks!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

This is really interesting. I've got Netflix, and I really like it, but I'm going to be moving and on my own.

So I'm looking at the Roku site and I'm a little confused. I get that you need a player and a wireless router but will I need to pay a subscription fee?

Thanks for the link!

Chris

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I have Netflix again. My fiancee bought me a WIFI enabled Sony Blu Ray player. I have Pandora (radio) and Netflix on it. I have watched several documentaries on the tv via Netflix. I like it. I will probably drop the DVD portion of the subscription once I return the current DVD. Have to talk to my better half. We have AT&T Uverse with a DVR and we love it.

I have not used roku or hulu. Have to check it out.

Snakes (Rich )

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    So I'm looking at the Roku site and I'm a little confused. I get that you need a player and a wireless router but will I need to pay a subscription fee?

The only cost is the Netflix monthly fee. Roku is simply a hardware device, allowing you to stream your Netflix (and other) content to your television.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Usenet and Bittorrent worx 4 me.

BTS

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

We use Netflix - connected via wireless router and a spare laptop. Works well, and with the laptop I have options for other streams if I like from time to time. I am frustrated with Netflix' shortage of recent flicks on the streaming side of the subscription - of course we can get the DVD's if we like - but honestly, when I am in the mood for a certain movie, it is just simpler to stop by RedBox or Family Video and get it than to wait for snail mail to get it here.

Our Netflix sub is 10 bucks I think for both streaming and DVD/Mail. Hell, I waste more than that a week on coffee.

Jeff

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I am frustrated with Netflix' shortage of recent flicks on the streaming side of the subscription

Recently, Netflix implemented a three or four week delay on newly released titles. I would assume that the studios believe this will improve DVD and Blu-ray sales. In exchange for this, the studios released more titles to Netflix.

• mamalove
    mamalove

Ugh, I need someone to come over and help me figure this out! I got my PS3 to read my wireless signal, I pulled up netflix online with some trouble, and it said I was missing something for the streaming to take place. I am guessing i have to download some kind of sofware to get the streaming. I dont know much about PS3s to figure that out. I guess I should google it!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

AK - Jeff: I found the details about Netflix and new titles on their FAQ. It relates to Warner Brothers movies.

The focus of the distribution agreement with Warner Bros. is on creating a better experience for our members. Yes, members will have to wait a few weeks to access some new DVD and Blu-ray releases from Warner Bros. (typically about two titles per month), but the cost reduction associated with the deal allows us to purchase significantly more copies of those movies. At the same time, we're able to expand the number and range of movies available to be watched instantly. Yes, there's a trade-off, but overall we think the member experience will improve.
  • leavingwt
    leavingwt
    and it said I was missing something for the streaming to take place

I'm not familiar with the PS3, but perhaps you need a firmware update? I'm certain we have some PS3 users here who will speak up, shortly.

http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/index.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit