"Top 10 Grievances Against the Bible"

by leavingwt 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• foodalls
    foodalls

EVERYBODY GO TO YOUTUBE AND TYPE IN: "ZEITGEIST-ZEITGEIST THE MOVIE"...AND WAKE UP TO WHAT ALL RELIGION IS!!!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

foodalls: That film [Zeitgeist] has been thoroughly debunked on this forum, multiple times. It's a mixture of truth and lies, with many of the lies being easily refuted.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    foodalls: That film [Zeitgeist] has been thoroughly debunked on this forum, multiple times. It's a mixture of truth and lies, with many of the lies being easily refuted.

I think foodalls poste din jest.

By the way, and speaking of debunked, so have all those "grievances" :P

I think that ladyatheist shoudl have titled it"

" My 10 Grievances against taking the whole of the bible literally".

or

" The 10 things people that skim the bible seem to have issues with and don't want to put in the time to study the bible to resolves those issues".

LOL !

;)

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The bible is just a historical reference of human ignorance entwined with actual events by an

ancient civilization. Which is quite appropriate and fitting for that historical era.

Much of the words of the bible were embellished stories by seers who were intending to

bring assertive power and relevance to their god of choice YHWH.

Gods as they were perceived by ancient civilizations were an occurring necessity to explain the

unknown aspects of the world they lived in, the same world which we live in today.

The proof of the bible as being mostly fictitious story telling is the acquired knowledge of the world we live

in since those times.

So descriptively you could say the bible is a historical reference of past human ignorance.

• tec
    tec
    I think foodalls poste din jest.

I don't think he is. He's brought up zeitgeist on all of his threads, I think, as a reliable source on religion.

Tammy

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

10. No pictures of naked ladies.

9. No Festivus

8. Turn the other cheek? Turn the other cheek my ass! Let's roll.

7. No Elves or Orcs or Dwarves

6. No velcro on cover. (This stems from my bright green ugly ass edition falling noisily to the floor while sleeping during Myriad in OKC Snoozefest)

5. Doesn't make a good hammer.

4. "Asses" Call them donkeys or burros or miniature horse cousins but don't call them asses because some poor bastard like me will have to read it in a #2.

3. Balaam beating his ass (See 4)

2. Abstinence

1. The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

Our ideas about what the bible should be like, have much to do with our ideas about God. We are all taught he is almighty and all-knowing, and whatever else. Maybe we would understand the God from the bible a little more when we would cut out the all-knowing bit. In Genesis, it reads that God created man in Gods image. Obviously that was not meant physically, as God does not have a body as we do, but rather our mind is made up like his, our operating sytem so to speak. We know about ourselves that we learn all the time about dealing with other people. Why do you expect something different from God? Even if you would have all the armies, all the power and resources, and all the knowledge available, would that make you a perfect king, on the 1st day of your ruling? I think you would commit quite a few mistakes before you get to that point. The God as portrayed in the bible is exacly that. It is a powerfull being, who learns by trial and error how to deal with people, moving from severe muscle flexing to a more balanced approach. The least you can say it is quite honest. God did not hide from his own mistakes, like leaving David and Batsheba alive, much unlike the WTBTS. If you would read the bible with this concept in mind, I guess you would have less problems understanding it.

And about Paul, I think if you consider his background and experiences, not all that good to be honest with his Pharisee education, and also for example the 2 letters to Timothy that were private letters, from one missionary to another, and not letters to a congregation to be read to everyone, things are falling more into perspective. We are all give a free mind, right? We still can use it when your read something from Paul.

I understand people have issues with God and believing in a God and that bible would be a book of God. And if you have a JW background, it is not even your fault, there is no faith in God developed in all those years of attending meetings and learning that all these unbiblical ideas were coming from God. We all learned now it was not from God. Some stop there, fixed in the not-from-God idea, and want to confirm this the rest of their lives. And others decide they want to go further, to see if there is a God, and if he exist, what does he want? Where are you in this? Whatever the case, nobody will be harmed though if you try to understand the bible in its right context and settings, it will be rather an enrichment for your life. And you are still free to believe what you want after that. Just my 2 cents.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    10. No pictures of naked ladies.
    9. No Festivus
    8. Turn the other cheek? Turn the other cheek my ass! Let's roll.
    7. No Elves or Orcs or Dwarves
    6. No velcro on cover. (This stems from my bright green ugly ass edition falling noisily to the floor while sleeping during Myriad in OKC Snoozefest)
    5. Doesn't make a good hammer.
    4. "Asses" Call them donkeys or burros or miniature horse cousins but don't call them asses because some poor bastard like me will have to read it in a #2.
    3. Balaam beating his ass (See 4)
    2. Abstinence
    1. The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society

I find no fault in this list !

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Sooner: that was funny.

PS: Is that the best example of how Paul saw women?... all he says is to Greet them.... and then at the end says to greet each other. He couldnt do better uh?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    PS: Is that the best example of how Paul saw women?... all he says is to Greet them.... and then at the end says to greet each other. He couldnt do better uh?

Dude, he goes out of his way to mention them by name giving them equal status, if not more, with men.

Do you realize what that meant in 1st century Rome or Plaestine?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit