World becoming more religious not less

by Stealth 19 Replies latest social current

• Stealth
    Stealth

This is bad news for the evolution of humankind. Even worse, Islam is the fastest growing religion.

http://www.livescience.com/50370-worlds-religious-population-will-grow.html?cmpid=NL_LS_weekly_2015-04-03

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

The world is full of stupid people. Fortunately more and more smart people are abandoning religion, sadly though their aren't a lot of smart people.

The idocracy effect. Ignorant folks breed like rabbits. Their superstitious mythological ideas are then indoctrinated into the masses.

We are all born atheists. Someone else gives us religion.

• Chris Hannover
    Chris Hannover
    The world is full of stupid people.

• Divergent
    Divergent
    "The United States is an exception, where more Americans are expected to flee organized religion"

Way to go, USA! =)

• Heaven
    Heaven

I think people seek religion when their world fails them in some way. Those born in that stay either haven't done the work to critically review their faith or they know something isn't quite right but stay due to family, friends, and a sense of community.

Instead of doing the difficult work of re-engineering one's life when something doesn't work, they turn to the easy solution of 'faith' - faith that God will fix everything for you. And that sometime in the future, typically after you've died, if you pass some imaginary trial judgment, you will be gifted with eternal life in paradise.

Anything fundamentalist or extremist is worrisome. It only takes one nut job in the right position of power within a religion for it to become fundamentalist or extremist.

To paraphrase Christopher Hitchens on Islam:

"Islam claims to be the Total Solution. The word 'total' is the first 5 letters of the word totalitarian."

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity
    Even atheists see the value of belonging to a congregation and meditation. Belief in God and religiosity are two different things.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

SonoftheTrinity
    nicely put, thank you.
    As an atheist I still consider myself interested in spirituality, enlightenment, and positive laws of the universe. I just make no claim to the source of those things or as heaven was talking about a totalitarian idea of everything.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    That is because in developed countries like the US people have better access to education and the internet where they educate themselves. Unfortunately in most Muslim countries most people there do not have access to higher education like we do. Christianity's hey day was in the middle ages when most people were illiterate.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

William Penwell
    Yep! we have to remember some places are now going through their own version of the dark ages. I know from living (and when I was in having to go out in service in) an ever increasingly muslim territory.
    A fact that I was enlightened to is that most Muslims never read the Koran, it is a heavily oral religion conveyed to them through and Emam. And when you get certain places around the world, it is even more so because the people are illiterate.
    I remember speaking to a muslim woman at the door, she was telling me all these crazy things, she was telling me "when you see a shooting star, its not a star, it's an angel falling from heaven"... wow... dark ages indeed.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    Christianity's hey day was in the middle ages when most people were illiterate - I've read that Islam had a medieval heyday, too - there was relative tolerance of 'the other' and a thirst to acquire knowledge. We must ask why Islam is apparently regressing, not progressing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit