How would you answer: Archeology

by sabastious 32 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious

True, I don't form my opinion of Archeology based on TV :)

I need to get my papers together to actually explain my position on this... might take some time.

-Sab

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

http://www.bib-arch.org/

Biblical archaeology.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The empirical basis of archaeology is often (but not always) fragmentary and depends on context for interpretatiion. Interpretations are often (but not always) tentative until more evidence comes to light. (Paleontology is similar, as it depends on fragmentarily preserved specimens) It is perfectly good science to make conclusions based on the current dataset, as it would produce claims that could be falsified or confirmed via further research and excavation. The media however tends to sensationalize archaeological finds and throw out the caveats and cautions you would find in an actual official publication of the find. And there is no shortage of pseudo-archaeology in the media (think any documentary produced by and starring Simcha Jacobovici, e.g. Exodus Decoded, the Jesus Tomb, the Naked Archaeologist) that flaunts wild speculation and a lack of proper methodology. I read archaeology blogs and I know that many real archaeologists are annoyed to no end by the misrepresentation of archaeology in the media, especially since they set up the layperson to inevitable disappointment.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I studied anthropolgy, cultural. Margaret Mead was my prof. and personal hero. All science works on theories that can be revised. We have different theories than in Victorian England but the same is true of physics, chemistry, math. The WT does not portray the field accurately.My first museum was the Museum of Natural History in NY. My parents took us. The big whale, the dinosaurs, the dioramas. I adored it. The minerals.

My favorite was the Native American displays. I was there so frequently. When I visit now (I do mostly fine arts now so I'm at the Met, MOMA and Whitney) my eyes tear up with the great memories.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Margaret Mead was my prof.

Wow, that's really awesome.

• designs
    designs

Botr-Did you ever visit the Painted Desert National Park. Great pictographs, one especially shows what looks like on first viewing a Pterodactyl plucking a child up and giving flight, on a more thoughtful approach it is probably a Heron plucking a frog from a pond.

• wobble
    wobble

Sab, don't knock Archaeology, without it we would not have had Indiana Jones, some of the most entertaining films ever made.

• Curtains
    Curtains

imo archaeology is very very important. The problem with ancient authors is that they tended to mix older fiction with present fact. So they will describe urban features from their own time which may be several hundred years later than the stories they rework to fit their time. Archaeology helps us to separate the present fact of the author from the more ancient story. We can then enjoy both - so thumbs up from me

then of course you've got the TV programs that are trying to make everything relevant to today - bound to set our heads spinning

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I fully agree with Leolaia on this. True archaeology for the examining is to be found in universities and books and lectures that many would consider boring. The stuff of History Channel is good sometimes, but we have to recognize that it is trying to avoid being labeled as "boring."

We all have to take our own spiritual journeys and weigh everything for ourselves.

Some research and programs have an agenda: "The Bible is true, let's find evidences." That versus "The Bible is false, let's find evidences" gives something to both sides of that issue and leaves room for the other side to poke holes in it. But that isn't really any different than the agenda of religion.

Weigh everything for yourself.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Botr-Did you ever visit the Painted Desert National Park. Great pictographs, one especially shows what looks like on first viewing a Pterodactyl plucking a child up and giving flight, on a more thoughtful approach it is probably a Heron plucking a frog from a pond.

And that would have been an event worth recording because?

Maybe more like a Condor plucking an unattended infant perhaps?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit