75% of Jehovahs Witnesses oppose same-sex marriage? And 12% are in favour of it??

by defender of truth 14 Replies latest social current

• steve2
    steve2

Junction Guy you offer some astute comments on the "public" face JWs present when they are identifiably commenting on "their" views. This undoubtedly contrasts to the times they participate anonymously and confidentially during these sorts of stratified sampling surveys - which explains why the result is seldom, if ever, 100% of JW respondents voicing the exact same view.

Of course, there are large numbers of JWs who voice as their own opinion whatever the GB spouts.

Each religious group has its hard core believers, and, as it ages, a larger core of middling adherents and an even larger core of nominals. This is happening in the organization the older it gets and the longer the wait for the end. It is the dreary story of organized religion doen through the centuries.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Village idiot and Steve2:

I'm sorry that you have nothing better to do than criticize my choice of wording. I may have overhyped it a bit by using the term world-famous. I meant in the short term, in the sense of public awareness. I perhaps should have said 'these articles will likely raise public awareness of JW attitudes towards same sex marriage'.

Many people around the world are probably reading these articles, and the first line they see is 'jehovahs witnesses have the highest percentage of people opposed to same sex marriage'. To a casual reader, that may stick in the mind. I did not mean they ARE the most opposing group.

As for the 12% figure (those who approve of samesex marriage) and the question of whether there is an undecided category, why not take 5 seconds to click the link to the survey, which I provided in the OP?

You certainly took enough time out of your day to criticize my comment, so I'm sure you will have time to find the answer you seek..

• steve2
    steve2

Sorry defender of truth. Some times I forget that people vary a lot in their capacity to absorb feedback as part of the cut and thrust of a more in-depth discussion. There is a level of reactivity in your reply that suggests you do not have the same view of such discussions as I do. As I said, we all vary - but the last thing I want to do is upset you. Your OP is highly interesting.

You are correct: Of course I can access the link when I have my laptop with me to find answers to my query but my tablet does not give me such access and I may go for days with limited access so I literally take you at your word. I took your wording seriously - and was not to know until you explained what you meant by it.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

steve2 - "Each religious group has its hard core believers, and, as it ages, a larger core of middling adherents and an even larger core of nominals. This is happening in the organization the older it gets and the longer the wait for the end."

In the case of the WTS, it has a tendency to want to "clean house" every once in a while, trying to prune the R&F down to just the hard-core believers.

(Yeah; no way that could ever come back and bite them on the ass.)

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

BTW, the stuff in the OP doesn't surprise me at all.

Despite the fact that JWs don't vote, when polled (anonymously or otherwise), the vast majority of them have consistently sided with conservative Republican-style ideals (with health care often being the only exception).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit