75% of Jehovahs Witnesses oppose same-sex marriage? And 12% are in favour of it??

by defender of truth 14 Replies latest social current

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

www.allgov.com/news/controversies/which-religions-oppose-same-sex-marriage-white-evangelicals-black-and-hispanic-protestants-mormons-and-muslims-150424?news=856319

Opposition to same-sex marriage is prominent among many religious groups in the United States, according to a new survey.
    Groups with the largest opposition to homosexuals marrying are Jehovah’s Witnesses (75%), Mormons (68%), white evangelical Protestants (66%), Hispanic Protestants (58%), black Protestants (54%), and Muslims (51%), the Public Religion Research Institute found in its survey of 40,000 Americans.
    Among white evangelical Protestants, white Baptists are the most opposed (72%).
    On the acceptance side of the issue, the most supportive are Buddhists (84%), Jews (77%), Americans who select “Other religion” (75%), and white mainline Protestants (62%).
    A breakdown of white mainline Protestant denominations shows support is highest among Presbyterians (69%) and both Episcopalians and Congregationalists/United Church of Christ members (68%).
    Even a majority of white mainline Baptists (53%) back same-sex marriages. Among Catholics, 61% of whites and 60% of Hispanics support gay weddings.

And the survey is here:

www.publicreligion.org/2015/04/attitudes-on-same-sex-marriage-by-religious-affiliation-and-denominational-family/#.VTuaYNJVikr

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity
    And It isn't inconsistent to be opposed to gay marriage within the canons and hallowed halls of your own church and supportive of it within civil society. What is inconsistent with the Jehovah's Witness religion is to have a political consciousness in the first place. And seeing as the sociological definition of a marriage is a license to have children, gay marriages will continue to be viewed as second class marriages by most adoption agencies in the world for at least the next century. The gay marriage issue is a big fuss over nothing, although I don't think anyone under 25 should be allowed to enter into a same-sex or polygamous marriage. And I don't like the idea of same-sex marriages of convenience for straight people for immigration purposes. Like it or not homophobia is natural and instinctual and most young immigrants from the developing world will view gay marriage as worthy of mockery. It would be just too convenient.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

That survey is based on those who identify themselves as Witnesses but not necessarily those who are active. Half of all who ever were Witnesses are probably active.

Even answering a survey skews the type of Witness that is rendering an opinion in the first place since they are to be politically neutral. That survey must have been answered by "worldly" Witnesses a few of whom would express a Liberal attitude.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth
    When it comes to opposition, the top opposing religions are 75% of Jehovah’s Witnesses..

www.worldreligionnews.com/issues/these-are-the-religious-groups-that-are-in-favor-of-same-sex-marriage

With this and many other articles covering this survey, JW's are becoming world-famous as the most opposing group of religious people towards same sex marriage.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

defender of truth,

"...JW's are becoming world-famous as the most opposing group of religious people towards same sex marriage."

I don't know why you think they will become world famous (they'd wish) because it is fundamentalist Christians who are the most vocal about the issue to the point of demonization. Just check out http://www.rightwingwatch.org/ on a daily basis and you will see how obsessed these people are, seething in hatred. Their opinions are the ones that count since they are politically powerful. Jehovah's Witnesses don't even dream of politics.

• steve2
    steve2

This is an American survey. In some respects it would be much more conservative than a similar survey in Western Europe, including the Scandanavian countries or in Australia and New Zealand

If 75% of JWs oppose gay marriage, wouldn't that mean 25% - not 12% - are in favor?

BTW, some religious groups refuse to participate in surveys. For example, the Exclusive Brethren.

So, when you say JWs are fast getting the reputation as the most opposed, your headline grabbing framing ignores the fact that there are stricter religious groups out there such as the Westboro Baptist Church, hardline Catholic groups and the Exclusive Brethren whose punitive views on sexuality in general are well aired.

I am surprised the just over half of Muslims oppose gay marriage. I'd have thought it would be much higher.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

steve2, "If 75% of JWs oppose gay marriage, wouldn't that mean 25% - not 12% - are in favor?"

Not necessarily. There could be a category of "undecided" included in the poll.

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

I believe in freedom from all sorts of discrination.

How dare a divine creator to ask of his creatures to act against their nature?!

SL

• steve2
    steve2

steve2, "If 75% of JWs oppose gay marriage, wouldn't that mean 25% - not 12% - are in favor?"

Not necessarily. There could be a category of "undecided" included in the poll.

Hmmm. That would be a revealing category for JWs to endorse: Neither hot nor cold - which in JWland would be as "bad" as not opposing gay marriage.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I think with the JW's, you are not going to get an accurate answer, because unlike some "religions", JW's have a private opinion and then their public one, and this goes for any issue. Take blood, almost all JW's will say they are against blood, but now many X-JW's will say that they never fully believed in the blood ban, they only went along with it because the Society said they had to. I think the 75% is somewhat accurate, and feel it is actually lower than that.

I do think that the JW religion will soften their stance on this issue alot quicker than the bible believing churches.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit