Discovering Mortality

by pirata 20 Replies latest jw friends

• nugget
    nugget

mortality is not a bad thing. It makes you appreciate the life you have. I know that many JWs ignore health issues and are constantly postponing things because they can do it in paradise. As a result they live in a small way unfulfilled lives.

Embrace this life and seek opportunities to make it everything you want it to be. Make this life a valuable one. who knows what there is in the infinite future. There are a finite number of atoms in the world and who knows what you once were or what you may become in future.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

being aware that we are dying gives more value to the minutes we have left to live. every minute spent we get closer to our end than our beginning

• pirata
    pirata

Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it.

In summary:

Do not fear death. Do not handicap your life now by worrying about death. Accept that it is coming. Make each day count. Live an honorable and enjoyable life. Any afterlife is bonus. Leave behind a positive contribution by the way you've lived your life.

This reminds me of dialogue from the scene at the end of the movie "Star Trek:Generations":

Picard: "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all Number One, we're only mortal."
    Riker: "Speak for yourself sir, I plan to live forever."

PS. @elderelite, after reading the quotes you provided, I finally understand where the Klingon culture comes from.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    I finally understand where the Klingon culture comes from

Hai, pirata-san

Afterthought. When pondering a major life decision where there isn't a clear answer or even for minor ones, I sometimes ask myself "is this something I may regret doing/not doing/taking the chance on when I look back at my life?" and "were I to die today, would I be satisified with what I've done to this point, and if not, why?"

Take a chance, pay the fare, enjoy the ride.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"Seek not death, but instead seek that which makes death a fulfillment."

• unshackled
    unshackled

Look at this way…sleeping is like practicing being dead. And most mornings you'd rather keep practicing, right? See…you're good to go.

• pirata
    pirata

LOL @ unshackled! :)

• Nobleheart
    Nobleheart

Before I became a JW I did believe in some kind of God (although not strictly based on the Bible), and always hoped that this life wasn't all there was.

As a JW I believed that I'd live in paradise somewhere (I often wished I could choose where my modest home would be, I didn't want any elder picking my lot).

I think now after waking up, I still believe in God. I do realize that maybe parts of his Word - the Bible have changed, or it doesn't reflect the supernatural's true character. But since most of the universe remains a mystery, I feel that there's someone out there who is looking out for me and you and has a good plan for us, somewhere (heaven, earth, unknown matter/anti-matter), wherever really..

If God's truly love, that's just my sincere opinion.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Its bit of a shock when you put all your hopes, dreams and aspirations on hold til after Armageddon, only to discover this life is all you have and all you are going to get and your best years have already gone and you wasted them working for free for a publishing organisation.

• KristiKay
    KristiKay

Although the thought of dying used to scare me, I came to terms with it at a fairly young age. It was more the thought of forever that scared me

because my mind can't grasp the concept. Being alive forever, being dead forever, space going on forever, being infinately big. Everything we know

has a begining and an end. One day while talking to my JW, it dawned on me that she has lived her entire life never comming to terms with the fact

that she too is going to die. And she is 69, she's been a JW for 50 years. I'm sure she thought she'd be in paradise by now. When my oldest daughter

was around 4 she became aware that we are all going to die, I felt so bad because I could see this scared her and there wasn't anything I could say

to comfort her, but I was amazed how quickly she accepted it, and it never seemed to bother her again. It's a wierd thought that there's people who

live there whole lives thinking that its not going to happen to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit