Discovering Mortality

by pirata 20 Replies latest jw friends

• pirata
    pirata

Most of my life I never gave thought to my mortality because I'd be petting a lion forever in the new system. My hobby could wait because I would have time to pursue it as a perfect being in a paradise. Dying was not a huge deal because I'd wake up in a paradise earth.

Then I woke up. I realized I'm dreaming. I'm going to die. We're all going to die. I may grow old without any children. Only after waking up have I thought about having children. But I don't want to raise my children in a religion I don't believe in. Some days it's depressing. But it really shouldn't be. After all, we're all in the same boat.

How did waking up effect your view of life and mortality, and what outlook have you developed over the years?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I was in my 20's when I began to ponder my own mortality. It was a sobering few months. You will soon get over it and your current life will take on a much greater meaning and it will have more value.

We're going to die and we're the lucky ones. Most people are never born.

• elderelite
    elderelite

wow... today has been a really tough day... so many troubling thoughts and questions.. now you have added another one Pirata... I doubt that this will offer much comfort to you Pirata, but I love what boshido shoshinsu councils in regard to death. A few quotes...

"one who is supposed to be a warrior considers it his foremost concern to keep death in mind at all times, every day and every night, from the morning of New Year's Day through the night of New Year's Eve. As long as you keep death in mind at all times you will also fulfill the ways of loyalty and familial duty. You will avaoid myriad evils and calamities, you will be physically sound and healthy, and you will live a long life. what is more, your character willimprove and your virtue will grow"

"...when you forget death and become inattentive, you are not circumspect about things. you may say something offensive to someone and get into an argument. You may challenge something you might as well have ignored and get into a quarrel. ....... you could lose your own life, get your employer bad publicity and cause your parentrs and siblings difficulties. All this trouble comes from inattentiveness when you fail to keep death in mind at all times"

"when you assume that your stay in this world will last, various wishes occur to you, and you beocme very desirous. You want what others have, and cling to your own possesions, developing a mercantile mentality. When you always keep death in mind, covetousness naturally weakens, and to that defree a grabby, greedy attitude logically does not occur. that is why i say your character improves."

" yet there is the question of how to keep death in mind...... the idea is to take care of your public and provate duties day and night, and then whenever you have any free time when your mind is unoccupied, you think of death, bringing it to mind attentively. It is said that in the great hero Masahiges instrcutions to his son, he told him to always get used to death"

"a warrior performs distinguished military feats on the battleground and earns the highest honor only after having accepted the fact that he is going to die. because of that, if he has the misfortune to lose in a duel, when his head is about to be taken by the enemy, on being asked his name by the enemy he identifies himself clearly and hands over his head with a smile, showing no sign of flinching"

"if you fight death, refusing to consider an illnes fatal, delighting when someone minimizes your illness and hating when someone says its is serious, fussing with doctors, making impossible prayers and vows, thinking in a cofused manner, making no final statement even though your illness gradually worsens, this is like the death of a dog or a cat. To spoil your one and only last hour like this is a slovenly way to die, resulting from a failure to keep death in mind at all times, hating to hear when someone dies, feeling that you will be in this world forever, being deeply desirous and greedy for life. if you go onto a battlefield with sucha a cowardly attitude, there is no way you can die a splendid death death in the cause of layalty and duty. This is why those who cultivate warriorship refer even to dying in bed of sickness as the once-in-a-lifetime major event"

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Elderlite

Great quotes. I came to these conclusions post jws, just by reasoning.

Also, I literally had a dream that I was protecting children from "demons" in an ancient village. I started to lose a sword duel and felt calmness, as my lasts thoughts were "what an honourable way to die!"

Opned my eyes to the warrior mindset and moral code.

• elderelite
    elderelite

love it

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

Finding out I would die someday was one of the biggest reliefs of my life. I never wanted to live forever. Even as a child, it was my biggest fear.

Finding out I would never see loved ones again was, on the other hand, traumatizing. But now I'm okay with it, and I treasure my time with them more than a JW does as a result.

• wobble
    wobble

I was shocked when I confronted this thought shortly after I left the borg.

I quickly came to realise that "Carpe Diem" (Seize the Day") was a good motto, and I began to wonder if in fact there was some kind of "Afterlife" even if it was very different from the WT one, or even that of other religions.

I cannot believe that there is an afterlife, but I can hope there may be.

I must live my life though, what little is left of it, as though there will not be.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Realizing and accepting my mortality charged me to live and experience as much as I could, made me appreciate each day if not moment in a way I couldn't have before. I do not fear death b/c it is natural but I do not wish to die. I fear dying stupidly or in a long drawn out way. It would be an honor to give my life so that another may live or for a just cause. Carpe diem.

• porfiada
    porfiada

Its a miracle that we are here to start with.

When we will be dead we won't even have to think about being dead, so why waste your live-time thinking about being dead? The best you can get out of that is maybe putting a little more effort into doing the things that you really want to do- your bucket list.

Everything has a cycle, as you have noticed, so why should we be so precious that only we get an eternal life ion earth as depicted by WTS, while the rest of nature, and even stars die?

we need to make way for whoever is coming next. In the meantime, just try to enjoy life. It is painful though that you seem to be trapped in the borg maybe to avoid losing your family. Maybe use your insider status to helps some sheep think! Or maybe its too easy to get caught? All the best

• porfiada
    porfiada

Ok I agree with Elderellite's quotes. If you cheapen life, frgetiing death and living like if everything around you, including the people in your life, will always be there, you are bound for disaster, because noeffort is made to enrich the experience or cut out the unnecessary and hurtful. So its good to keep death in mind and just how lucky we are to be alive.

What I meant above is that its a waste of time to WORRY about BEING dead.

I cannot rule out some kind of afterlife, maybe even heavenly one, as as much i try to stick to science and the material world, there are always credible stories of the supernatural. My dad had one, he saw his mother's ghost dissaproving of a girlfriend. My grandad saw his friend's ghost say good bye to him the night his friend passed away.. I do not think that they would have made this up. of course the JW theory would say is demons, but even that is supernatural anyway. There are so many dimensions and things we might not know or do not comprehend. For example, out there there is anti-matter, with atoms with positive electrons and negative protons. Why that?? Who knows. Or just think that matter as we know it is mostly empty. We and all objects are mostly empty space, as each atom is practically empty; just a huge field with just these basketballs on orbits. ...we have much to understand yet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit