Do You Think the Internet Currently Contains All Mankind's Accumulated Knowledge?

by journey-on 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Mum
    Mum

When I was a child, my grandmother used to sing a song to me that she called "The Skeptic's Daughter." Others call it "Rosedale Water" or "On the Banks of Rosedale Water." We lived in east Tennessee, right in the heart of Appalachia, where a lot of songs exist that outsiders never heard of. I have looked for the lyrics of this song for years, and finally found it recently online!

I also learned to knit the continental way on YouTube.

There is a lot to know from people who don't have access to technology, and people who have long since died. It is the people who lived without technology, who grew and preserved their own food and made everything from scratch who we have the most to learn from, IMHO. They are a dying breed.

A friend pointed out recently that books of phosphorus can be altered. She's on a campaign to save paper books, just as others have started seed banks because of hybridization of plants.

Regards,

SandraC

• journey-on
    journey-on
    She's on a campaign to save paper books
    I like this idea for the simple fact that many history and textbooks are being altered. I heard recently that all the Mark Twain books that contain racially sensitive language are being altered to eliminate it. I'm holding on to my 1976 Encyclopedia Britannicas.
  • beksbks
    beksbks

I've been on a campaign to save books for years. Imagine a day that we won't be able to read Huck Finn as written..........oh..........damn

On that note, Fahrenheit 451, one of my most favorite stories and movies.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Imagine a day that we won't be able to read Huck Finn as written..........oh..........damn

If there is life after death Mark Twain is going to come back and have a word or two with some people. Hopefully nobody will buy that travesty and it will go away.

Here in Seattle, some Native American mom who has not read "Brave New World" wants it pulled from the school because of the use of the word "savages." If I could find her and would sit her down and explain that they're the good guys. Oh well.

I agree I like paper books, curling up in bed with the kindle just doesn't seem the same.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    I agree I like paper books, curling up in bed with the kindle just doesn't seem the same.
    Same here. I love frayed edges, smears on the page, and bent corners. I have tried the e-readers, but I guess I'm too old to appreciate that particular technology! My eyes, hands, and brain just don't coordinate that well with them.
  • beksbks
    beksbks

Those who forget (or rewrite) history, are doomed to repeat it.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Do You Think the Internet Currently Contains All Mankind's Accumulated knowledge. ?

Not even close.

Have you ever been to any large University and had a look at the amount of books in its

library. Take that amount and times it more than a thousand and you'll arrive at how much information that is out there.

Mind you the information on the Net is increasing every year so who knows what will be there in the future.

• beksbks
    beksbks

I think you can find darn near anything, but you have to actually be familiar in the first place, to know to look for it.

I'm concerned about the lack of human contact in today's world. We can do most of what needs to be done through the day, week, month, without actually interacting with other live humans face to face. I think this is detrimental to society.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Elvis shot JFK? Well I'll be dipped.

Welcome back Mr. Fenderson. I've missed you around here.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    I think this is detrimental to society

I agree. But, I have also had conversations with people that say this is how we are evolving. Facebook, social and dating websites, email, texting, cell, skype, and any number of virtual communications are the "new wave". When I have voiced concern that social skills are deteriorating because of it, I have been told that kids now will implement their own way of socializing and it will be THEIR CHOICE. I take these innovations to heart, but I still tend to be old-fashioned in so many respects.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit