POLL: Should a "True Grit" virgin (me) see the John Wayne version 1st?

by Open mind 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

Gregor posted a "True Grit" thread a few days ago but I didn't want to read it for fear of "spoilers".

As a JW youth, I was not allowed to watch the original "True Grit" because it was too violent. I always assumed it was rated "R". Now I find out you can get it on Amazon and it's rated "G".

Anyway, on to the Opinion Poll: For those who have seen both the original and the Coen brother's remake, would you recommend seeing the John Wayne version first?

Why or why not?

And, I know this might be tricky, but try not to include any major plot "spoilers" in your reply.

om

(Of the, catching up on tons of "R" rated movies, class.)

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

This is a good question. I'm yet to see either version, and I'm not exactly a fan of John Wayne. He just seemed like cornball to me. Prefer Clint Eastwood over him any day. When I found out that this was a remake of a John Wayne film, I said why bother. Then I found out it was a Coen Brothers film, and in my opinion, they can do no wrong. I think I'm gonna see this latest version first, and may not bother at all to see the original version.

• villabolo
    villabolo

I would recommend seeing the original of any movie first in order to get the fullest impression of its makers original intent. That would allow you to make a better comparison between the original and any remakes.

Even though I saw the original True Grit as a child, I don't really remember any of it; even when I saw the remake. I do get the feeling that Bridges was mimicking John Wayne's enactment of the character.

Villabolo

• Open mind
    Open mind

miseryloveselders: "Then I found out it was a Coen Brothers film, and in my opinion, they can do no wrong."

Yeah, that's the main reason I'm interested in seeing this film. Since I like the Coen bros so much, I'm tempted to see the remake first for maximum impact.

But, villabolo makes a good point as well. By seeing the original first, I'll get a good baseline. Then whatever quirkiness the Coen brothers are sure to throw in will be more apparent.

Anyone else?

om

• Gregor
    Gregor

The character, Rooster Cogburn, was created by the author of the book. I have not read the book, but critics say the Coen brothers version is closer to the book. I would suggest seeing the new version and then the John Wayne version. By the way, they are both great movies on their own.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Thanks Gregor.

By the time the movie "Rooster Cogburn" (also starring John Wayne) came out, we were old enough and my parents had mellowed enough, to let us go see it.

If I remember correctly though, there were at least one or two scenes where my Mom was pounding on my Dad's arm that we should all walk out and make a self-righteous JW scene.

We learned pretty early on to NOT go to a movie with our parents.

om

• AGuest
    AGuest

I think, no, dear OM (peace to you!). I've seen both just recently. Both are [reasonably] good and somewhat similar. However, the actors render the parts a little differently and if you see the Wayne version first, I think you'll be disappointed in the Coen version. On the other hand, if you see the Coen version first, the Wayne version's actually a little more entertaining. At least it was for me.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out?

BTW - Best movies I've recently seen (if anyone cares):

The King's Speech - hands down BEST movie. The BEST! The Tourist - I love Johnny (and Angie)! Burlesque - What can I say - I'm a singer (saw it twice - ooh, la la! - and tried not to mourn my past youth too much) The Black Swan - Not my top pick but still a stellar performance by Portman

Again, peace to you!

SA, of the "I-Prefer-To-See-The-Movie-And-Then-Read-The-Book-Because-Except-For-A-Few-Authoris-It's-Just-Too-Risky-To-Do-The-Other-Way-Around" Class... on her own

• Open mind
    Open mind

Thanks Shelby.

I think I'll go that route.

om

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've never been a John Wayne fan, but I liked him in True Grit. I haven't seen the new version yet. I'll probably buy it eventually.

W

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

When I found out that this was a remake of a John Wayne film, I said why bother.

I heard an interview of the Coen brothers on Fresh Air last week and they said that their movie is not a remake of the John Wayne version but is more in line with the book, such as the girl actually being 14 (in the John Wayne version the actress with in her 20's) and the use of the vernacular of that time used in the book.

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/12/132744499/coen-bros-on-wet-horses-kid-stars-its-a-wild-west

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit