A Bethel Memory #7 - My GB can lick your GB

by LivingTheDream 43 Replies latest members private

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

It seems to me as though a significant number of XJW posters here are XJWs partly because they directly knew GB1.0.

Is this actually the case?

BTW, the title of this thread made me think of the story about the GB1.0 member who allegedly got young male Bethelites drunk in his suite and sexed them "in the butt".

Am I the only one?

• LivingTheDream
    LivingTheDream

Vidiot,

I can't speak for others who knew GB and are now Ex-JWs, but I can say that after meeting them in person after years of build up about it being raised as a Witness, it was a big let down to finally meet them. I don't know what I was expecting though, since obviously they were just people. I remember thinking when other older Bethelites complained about the GB when I was new at Bethel that it was unfair to expect so much from human beings. I thought at first that was harsh.

I realize now that I was missing a bigger point. These men set the tone for everything and in the end are responsible for everything that happens in the organization. You cannot have the glory without the responsibility and, if gone bad, the blame too.

It wasn't individual GB that woke me up though, so I don't think my leaving the so called Truth was because of my interfacing with them. They were just like everybody else I ever met in the organization. Some of them I liked, others not so much and still others were jerks.

I do recall telling one brother one day after meeting one of the GB that I didn't so much like, that I thought was a big jerk (his last name started with P of that helps) but I said to him: "You know, I realize now that it is silly for me to hope some day to meet Noah or Abraham or Moses in the resurrection." He asked me why. I said "Because it now seems to me that it is likely that I might not like them at all."

LivingTheDream

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

LivingTheDream - "I do recall telling one brother one day after meeting one of the GB that I didn't so much like, that I thought was a big jerk (his last name started with P of that helps) but I said to him: "You know, I realize now that it is silly for me to hope some day to meet Noah or Abraham or Moses in the resurrection." He asked me why. I said "Because it now seems to me that it is likely that I might not like them at all."

I remember so many JWs who would say (especially at the bookstudies) that they could hardly wait to meed Moses, or especially Noah and ask them "what was it like?", "what was it like?", "what was it like?"

I was a believer then, but even I got so tired of it, that eventually when they got around to asking me what I'd ask the resurrected OT figures, I said, "I wouldn't ask 'em anything. You honestly think they want 7 million groupies hounding them for their life stories every day for a thousand years? I'd leave them alone to live their lives in peace."

My God, you should have seen the stares. The bookstudy conductor smiled and nodded, though.

There was another time when we were asked what we'd like to do in the NS. Everybody else gave the standard WT-approved answers, like "build my own house", "help make the Earth perfect", or for the younger ones "pet lions"; when my turn came I said, "get a sailboat, learn how to sail it, and sail around the world" (I've always wanted to do that, still do). Once again, the stares.

Someone protested, "But, we're supposed to clean up the Earth!", to which I replied, "Okay, but do you really honestly think it's gonna take a whole thousand years to do it? Besides, it's supposed to be a paradise. What's the use of a paradise, if you can't live a life that makes you happy?"

The bookstudy conductor smiled and nodded at that one, too.

• Violia
    Violia

I too like real stories, eg, the good the bad and the ugly ( as is often said). I'm ok with your first person stories or those that you heard about. It is still a good read.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit